Underfloor Storage - Worth It??

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Underfloor Storage - Worth It??

Postby drhill » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Bob - you are right an 8" high object will be that high no matter if the tow vehicle or the trailer is passing over it. If you google departure angle, you should find some nice illustrations. The departure angle is what will get you when you are pulling in or out of a steep driveway or approach. It is surprising how a trailer that has pretty good ground clearance can scrape when pulling out of a gas station with a steep exit. If your storage box is above that approach and departure angle you are pretty safe. And for what it is worth, I think it is worthwhile adding the storage where you can. Easy to do when you are building but not so easy afterward.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:22 am

Yeah. I can imagine being on an unpaved road and the crown or whatever the higher part between the tracks is called being close to axel. I'd think axel is lowest I'd want to go, if that low.

Thank you all for sharing on this.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby brx017 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:00 am

bobwhite215 wrote:Not sure about your approach angle theory. If you run over something 8" high, it's the same height when it passes under the tongue as it is when it goes under the axle.

Bob, that's why I also mentioned that despite my box being lower than my trailer axle (by only an inch or two I might add) I still maintained a higher ground clearance than my tow vehicle.

In theory on flat ground if my Honda Pilot can safely clear it then my trailer can too. So if I drive over road debris that is high enough to knock a hole in my underfloor storage, it's going to knock a hole in my oil pan or transmission or rip off my exhaust first. At that point, I'm already having a bad day.

In my mind, the real concern with my design will be the breakover angle:

It's just something I will have to be mindful of when driving. With every custom designed trailer, choices and compromises have to be made. I opted for more storage which meant I sacrificed ground clearance. I think (and hope) that my trailer will suit the type of camping my family does, and how we get there. Only time will tell I guess.

I did keep in mind the possibility of damaging this box though, and I attached it in a way that actually makes it removable from under the trailer. And if the worst case happens and I damage it while traveling I will still have a sleeping surface inside the camper... It just might be a little breezy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby bobwhite215 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:55 am

Brx - thanks for the clarification. I was only thinking about road debris. Hadn't really thought about clearing grades.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:56 am

I always liked Erv's storage drawers for easy access and a great place for those less interior friendly items.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby brx017 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:10 pm

bobhenry wrote:I always liked Erv's storage drawers for easy access and a great place for those less interior friendly items.

That's a great design idea too. If I didn't need the storage area to double as a place to put my feet comfortably while sitting then I met have went this route myself.

Plus, when my bed is in "couch mode" I will almost have a "Crouchie". It will be nearly 5 feet high inside. I have considered increasing my sidewall up to 5 feet high so I would have just under 6 feet of headroom... But that is a discussion for another thread.

brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:17 am

I suspect its probably fine and not as bad as I thought based on car ground clearance. My RAV4 is listed as 7 1/2" minimum. Assuming the axle of the Ironton 5X8 is around 10" (center) with the base 12" wheels (I think), and higher with larger, probably not an issue for the storage to hang down that far. I'd wonder if the front of it should be a little more abuse resistant since it would seem to get a lot of gravel and stones, but may be overly cautious. I'm going to have to rethink this and maybe add. I so like the idea of access from outside he trailer, and wonder if it would be best to think of it as dedicated - chairs, grill, poles and fly, other.

Thanks - I don't think I would have realized how "safe" this likely is without this thread.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby brx017 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:38 pm

I was thinking I could use leftover aluminum from skinning the trailer to make a rock shield and maybe a skid plate too if I have that much left.

Good luck. I think the outside drawers idea is cool if you can work it into your plan.

brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby brx017 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:29 pm

As promised, here's a picture of my profile, with approach and departure angles drawn in. I am showing the angles with the stock 12" wheels, and also with my planned 15" wheels. This is the Ironton 5x8 frame, but I stretched the back a little, moved the axle back and extended the tongue 2 feet.

I have built my front box already. I have 10" of depth on the inside of the box.

Haven't decided yet on whether or not to build a rear box, or what size if I do. I was thinking of doing it just to house my battery.

My thought was if the trailer fell onto its tongue it wouldn't bust the front box.

The dimension isn't on here, but my box sticks down 3 - 3/8" below the axle... And that is with the axle above the leaf springs.

This gives me 9" of ground clearance with 15" wheels. 6 - 5/8" if I were to keep the 12"s. For reference, my Honda Pilot has 8" of ground clearance.

Hope this info helps.

brx017
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion