Here is a site I found looking for wind generators had idea about a small
wind generator on top of the tear drop.

but found this interesting

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/windpo ... roller.htm
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:47 pm

So are you going to mount a windmill on top of your teardrop, and let the wind charge the battery while you are driving? :lol:

Okay, then you must have so wind where you a located. We don't usually have enough wind to do anything here in MI.

Mike...

P.S. But maybe you could hook that friction drive roller to your bicycle, and ride around the teardrop to charge the battery.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jlrelp » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:55 pm

Hi Mike

sometimes we have very strong winds here up to 50 mph...

they have a small generator to drop behind boats to charge the battery.

while you are moving. have something the size of 6" pvc with a turbine in it mounted on top of the TD.. with small propeltors < could be spell wrong sorry. Just thing out load. will just use the 12 volt system with an charger. To much work need to go camping. will bring along the kayaks no room for the bicycle. That would be a site a 100 yard cable on the back of the bicycle rideing around the camp site..
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JamesW » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:46 pm

I have had some (a lot) of experience with alternate energy systems for the marine industry. I would be careful where you mount that wind generator. I do not think the TD will be a stable enough base for the windmill. You may be bouncing around while you are trying to sleep.
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby tdthinker » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:23 pm

I have only seen and used them on cars.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:54 am

Hi,

I have also researched wind power as a form of battery charging. I even have a wind generator intended for aircraft use that I elected not to install when I restored my 1946 Taylorcraft. The technology has advanced to the point that rechargeable radios and GPS make heavy generator and lead acid battery systems obsolete.

So....... What do I do with my generator? Why not bolt it to a pole and charge my camper battery while on the road! Well I looked at it and you know….. the reason I got involved with small campers in the first place was the simplicity and ease of maintenance. Now I would be adding another system I don’t really need considering that I tow the trailer with a $20,000 battery charger anyway! New wind generators are very expensive. There was no way to compare the cost of a wind generator to a 20-foot piece of 10-gauge wire and a fuse. Cost $10.00.

And you know I've been weekending in my camper and haven’t run out of juice yet so I have not yet installed my $10.00 piece of wire. Of course I don't have this really cool whirly gig on my roof to get peoples attention and get them asking questions. You meet some of the nicest people that way.

I guess what I'm saying is be sure you need the extra expense and complexity before you spend the money. Perhaps a small solar charger would fit the requirement for green power.

Just my thoughts, Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby jlrelp » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:41 am

Thanks everybody for all the info and helpful advice...

will follow the first rule keep it simply... So will just install a 12v system.

carrying a small charger to use if in an camp with electric..

also will used the solar panel I have from my boat...

Brought a nice 12V 3 Switch / Fused & Voltmeter Distribution panel
from West Marine will install it this weekend and post new photos
on web site.. Thanks and have a good day
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:05 am

jlrelp wrote:
Brought a nice 12V 3 Switch / Fused & Voltmeter Distribution panel
from West Marine will install it this weekend and post new photos
on web site.. Thanks and have a good day

Is there a URL on the web for that panel?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jlrelp » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:03 am

yes try this

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... asc&seq=30

it is a very long one will have photos posted soon. hope to be putting the roof skins on tonight...

see ya
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:05 am

That fist unit I wonder if It would ware the tire down Have they done any tests.

My Prius uses the axel and brakes that charge batteries.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:33 am

Hi,

That first tire drive system is primarily designed as a gear reduction for a larger windmill set-up. The idea is to put the whole thing on a tower using the wheel spindle and hub as a bearing, bolting the windmill (rotor) to the wheel rim in some way. The result is the rotor can turn relatively slowly and still rotate the alternator at a speed sufficient to generate power.

By the way the alternator drive roller is $50 and the permanent magnet alternator its attached to is over $350. Not cheep.

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/hornetwindturbine.htm

Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion