How to make fresh Pizza on a 2 burner?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

How to make fresh Pizza on a 2 burner?

Postby Cosmo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:18 am

Has anyone figured out how to make fresh Pizza from fresh dough on a 2 burner stove?
I want to make fresh Pizza from fresh dough (bought or made) while camping. I am aware of frozen pizza and English muffin substitutes etc. I'm kneading the real thing... Pun intended.

Is there a good way to make fresh pizza in a pan with a lid like a mini oven?

I own the Coleman Camp Oven but have not tested it yet. Momma mia, I don’t want to lug that heavy beast with a pizza stone unless there is no other way.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000164 ... +camp+oven

Thanks
-Cosmo
[/size]

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Re: How to make fresh Pizza on a 2 burner?

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:58 am

Yes, there is. JMO - jello mold oven. I do it canoe camping - maybe twice in a week - along with cakes, breads, and muffins. Find an old jello mold - ring style with hole in center - and a pie or cake tin to cover. Grease mold, line with dough rim to rim, put in sauce and toppings, cover with pie tin, and set on burner at low. 15 to 20 minutes. I use the Jiffy Mix dough but any will work. (I use the Jiffy mixes for cakes and muffins, and the brownies are great.) Maybe not as spectacular in a teardrop as in wilderness, but a pretty OK pizza. And I'm kind of a pizza snob - having tried pizza from most of the places that get on a top list nationally. (Frank Pepe's is best - New Haven CT.)
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:25 am

Target sells a nice selection of thin crusts, we do a 'make your own' pizza bar. Just cut them up, set out pepperoni, fresh basil, feta, ricotta, Romano, mozzarella, parmesan, diced olives - put on what you want. Cook at 400 for 20 minutes makes a crispy crust. I precook the pepperoni to reduce the fat/oil.
Credit for the idea comes from Sally (RollingLagrima) on Littleguy forum.

rsz_1img_2209.jpg
rsz_1img_2209.jpg (73.79 KiB) Viewed 695 times

rsz_1img_2112.jpg
rsz_1img_2112.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 695 times
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:56 am

One good way that I have found is to use the Camp Chef Dutch Oven Dome and the heat diffuser that comes with it. http://www.campchef.com/dutch-oven-dome.html

I don't use it with a dutch oven so the dome can be a bit too big at times, but I have found that it is very easy to fold a section over and clip it with a metal clip so that it fits a smaller pan better.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greygoos » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:16 am

Lightly grease your frying pan and lay the dough in. Crisp the crust and flip. Put on your sauce and toppings. If you put too much cheese on it will never be ready when the crust is. Mario makes his pizzas on a flat top in Otto Restaurant in NYC. Ask me how I know. Street vendors in Rome make pizzas on top of 55 gallon barrels fired with wood. Wanna take your favorite pizzas camping? Order a pie from your local pizzeria and when it is cool put in the refrigerator until the next day. Pack the slices in tupperware or plastic bags and keep it in the cooler. When you are ready use the frying pan method this time no oil, no lid. Its also a good way to reheat pizza at home. I have cooked pizza on flat tops, frying pans, sheet pans, and even BBQ grills, yes you can lay dough right on the grill. It is not going to fall between the grates.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:01 am

Martha Stewart has a recipe for pizza in a cast iron skillet. Goes into oven. If you have the skillet anyway....
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby bobwhite215 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:07 am

Use a cast iron Dutch oven. You need to bake your crust in the oven first before adding toppings.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:14 am

Pictures of JMO pizza. Just a burner (this is an MSR Dragonfly - my favorite). All ingredients shelf stable as well.

First images posted - I'll get this....on fourth attempt. Now fifth...and I thought three was a charm
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:38 pm

The jello mold is a cool innovation. I am curious if you have a "cone" around your Dragonfly burner and up to the pan rim. It kind of looks like it in the picture, or is that just the inside of your wind screen?
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:47 pm

Rainier70 wrote:The jello mold is a cool innovation. I am curious if you have a "cone" around your Dragonfly burner and up to the pan rim. It kind of looks like it in the picture, or is that just the inside of your wind screen?

That is just the windscreen that comes with the Dragonfly. No cone, no diffuser. The Dragonfly "simmers" so well unlike a lot of backpack stoves. As best I can tell from observation and experience using it, most of the heat collects above the jello mold, contained by the pipe pan. A flat top doesn't work. Enough direct heat cooks the bottom. Only once did I get a smidge of burnt crust. I do have a Dragontamer - an accessory to quiet the Dragonfly's jet engine sound.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby jimger » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:27 am

Google the pizza lab awesome pizza without an oven. You'll find a link to a Serious Eats article that explains in detail how to use your cast iron frying pan, fresh dough and cooking strategy to make pizza. I camp with a small propane grill, and am trying to perfect a grilled pizza recipe for camping.
jimger
Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:14 am

Thanks for the tips and advice.
I am testing these recopies at home in my kitchen lab! :)

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2 ... pizza.html

-Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby drhill » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:51 pm

That fry pan method is interesting. Your best bet might be to par-bake the crusts using that fry pan method, then add the toppings and heat it up in that coleman stove top oven. Here is a link to Dean's method of making pizza in a dutch oven. http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59738

We like to make pizza both at home and camping. At home the convection oven gets to 550F so will cook a pizza on the pizza stone in 5 minutes. I also do it on the BBQ at home when it is too hot to heat the oven inside. I am helping a neighbour build a wood fired oven and am looking forward to using it. Camping we have a 3 burner stove and oven in the teardrop. I found it a little slow cooking pizza until I added ceramic fiber insulation to the 2 sides and back of the oven. I put the control on broil and get the oven as hot as I can. It takes about 7-8 minutes to cook so not real hot but acceptable. Often we are camping with a group of hungry mountain bikers so turning out a large number of pizzas in a reasonable time is required.

Have fun experimenting.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby bobwhite215 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Saw this from Camp Chef

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby VijayGupta » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:47 pm

I use a dutch oven. Seems to work best if I pre-heat the lid, but not the base.

I've been making my own dough for 40 years. Friday is pizza night. I call it "Faster than Domino's Dough"
Prep time 10 min, bake time 15 minutes (25 < 30)
2/3 c. warm water
2 t. yeast
5 t. oil
1 t. honey (or sugar)
1 1/2 c. flour

Add yeast to water and stir to wet. Add oil. Add honey and stir to dissolve.
Add flour and stir until ball forms and leaves side of bowl.

Let rest while you assemble toppings, or about 5 minutes.

Spread in pan with lightly oiled hands (makes about 12" medium crust, you can adjust proportions to make a thick crust or thin crust).
Add sauce, cheese, spices and toppings of choice.
Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes.
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion