tire wear

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

tire wear

Postby PKCSPT » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:31 pm

Went for a quick overnight and noticed my driver side tire is wearing uneven. The inside tread is almost gone where the outside is still pretty fair. Tires are 7 years old and I need to replace them Antwan but why the odd wear. The right side is wearing evenly. I crawled underneath and didn't see anything loose or broken.
2009 Little Guy 4 wide.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Re: tire wear

Postby lfhoward » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:05 pm

I would guess you might have a bad wheel bearing on the side with the uneven tire wear. If the wheel is not perfectly vertical and it is sticking out more at the bottom than the top, then there would be more weight and friction on the inside of the tread. Jack up the trailer, place a jack stand under the axle, then grasp the wheel with both hands and try to wiggle it. If there is any play it would indicate a bad bearing. Spin it too to see if it spins freely or if there are any noises that shouldn't be. The hub might also be hot to the touch after driving.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Or it may be that the axle is bent and that wheel doesn't track parallel with the other.

Regardless, 7 years old is too old for tires, please replace both.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Good point, Chas. That would certainly do it.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:59 pm

I kept an eye on the hub on my way home, or should I say hand feeling for any heat. It was cool on both sides. Yes 7 is as far as I will push any tire no matter how good it may look. I will jack it up tomorrow and see if there is any wobble, visually tire looks as straight as on the other side. Thank you for the suggestions, I hope it's not the axle.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:08 pm

I took it to a tire store, new tires, bearings repacked. They did not see a bend in the axle, tire moves evenly, no tilt, but I am still suspicious. Come spring I will have it looked at again.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:35 am

if you are still concern'd give this a try

jack both tires off the ground and secure on jack stands under the axle where the suspension is bearing the load as it would running down the road

take a piece of tape and place it across the tread on each tyre

put a mark on the tape on each tyre

w/ a helper get on the ground and measure the distance between the marks

do this 3 times

horizontally at the mid point front & rear as well as at the very bottom

if your tyres are completely under the frame during normal travel measure at the top vertically centered

if you get the same measurement at all 4 points you have zero camber & zero caster

anything other than the same measurement will tell you where your issue(s) are/may be

the issue you described could be something as simple as a loose bearing(the axle nut has excessive play)

if there is just a slight bit of bearing wear it can relax the adjustment/tension on the axle nut and allow the wheel/tyre to ride just a bit off true causing the result you experienced

at each fuel stop i use the back of my hand to check the temperature of the tyres, my finger tips to check the temperature of the hubs and grab the top of the tyre and try to wiggle it in & out

if the back of a mother's hand is good enuff to tell the temperature of the milk she is feeding her infant it is good enuff for tyres

your finger tips should be able to detect any differential in hub temps

and if the bearings are the least bit loose your hands will feel and your ears will hear a bit of a clunk

of course it is never wrong to jack each tyre off the ground and spin it at the beginning of the season or b4 a trip, listening for a gravely growl emitted by wonky/dry bearings. no growl no foul :thumbsup:

you said NEW TYRES installed & BEARINGS REPACKED so...

GOOD LUCK

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Return to General Discussion