Trailer security

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Trailer security

Postby drhill » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:10 pm

bluski if you are going to be away for an extended period I would take the wheels off for piece of mind. Unfortunately, like has already been said, you can't do anything to stop a determined thief. But having a home built should help. I would think that a manufactured unit that is 1 of a thousand would be a better target.

I keep mine in a garage at home and when in use, the only time I worry about it is when I am hiking or biking and leaving it in a remote campsite all day. Then I use a heavy Brinks lock and high grade chain through a wheel and around a spring. The chain runs through an old bike tire tube so it doesn't scratch everything up. Hopefully that is enough to stop a crime of opportunity.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby SSTear » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:04 pm

I have a ball lock a receiver lock and a trailer end hitch insert lock.

I put the tear drop on it's support jacks and remove the wheels for winter storage.

I also buried a tracking device in my teardrop. See link below

https://www.thetileapp.com/
SSTear
Teardrop Builder

Postby booyah » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:38 am

Insurance

Understand you are trying to secure something that was initially built with the intent of being easy to move.

Easy to move means easy to take.

Insure, and everyone here has good info otherwise.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby CorgiShack » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:49 pm

I installed this on our trailer this year. It should at least slow someone down..........although it will probably slow me down if i forget it. :o the plastic behind the lock protects the wheel. The third picture is the chain in the travel position.145644145645145646
CorgiShack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrowe » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:59 pm

CorgiShack wrote:I installed this on our trailer this year. It should at least slow someone down..........although it will probably slow me down if i forget it. :o the plastic behind the lock protects the wheel. The third picture is the chain in the travel position.145644145645145646

And then there these siren padlocks to maybe scare some thiefs away.
https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Siren ... rm+padlock
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:53 pm

I think if you get creative in your design so it doesn't look something you see every day, most likely it's going to stick around without any locks. Most thieves seem to want to blend in while they are heading down the highway with your property. My unit is different enough from most other units that most people who take things that don't belong to them probably wouldn't be all that interested in it. That said, some kind of electronic device that would help you locate your property could be useful. I just loop a chain or cable through my wheels and lock it through openings in the frame.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion