Trailer registration in Louisian

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Trailer registration in Louisian

Postby johnny_swindle » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:34 pm

I am not talented enough to build a trailer so I will probably purchase a Harbor Freight or similar "kit" trailer (looking at several manufacturers). Anyone here from Louisiana care to share their adventures in getting the trailer and teardrop registered?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V
johnny_swindle
Teardrop Builder

Re: Trailer registration in Louisian

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:21 am

Just go to DMV , take the supplied Harbor Freight title info , give them $70.00 for a Lifetime license plate and you’re done ... :thumbsup: Very Easy !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:23 am

What part of LA do you live in ? ... there may be a FREE trailer available ... :o
Attachments
Trailer prep 2.jpg
Trailer prep 2.jpg (165.34 KiB) Viewed 379 times
Last edited by GPW on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby johnny_swindle » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:46 am

I live in Ponchatoula....55 miles north of New Orleans....

Tell me more about this free trailer..........phone 985-634-1770

GPW wrote:What part of LA do you live in ? ... there may be a FREE trailer available ... :o
johnny_swindle
Teardrop Builder

Postby les45 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:46 pm

Make sure HF signed the title over to you. If you get it delivered instead of buying from the store they do not sign it. Sometimes even the store people will forget to sign it. We have similar registration requirements here in South Carolina and I had to take my title (Certificate of Origin) to the nearest store and have the manager to sign it before the DMV would accept it. Also, register as a utility trailer and not a camper, it's usually cheaper.
les45
500 Club

Postby johnny_swindle » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:02 pm

Thanks for the info.........

les45 wrote:Make sure HF signed the title over to you. If you get it delivered instead of buying from the store they do not sign it. Sometimes even the store people will forget to sign it. We have similar registration requirements here in South Carolina and I had to take my title (Certificate of Origin) to the nearest store and have the manager to sign it before the DMV would accept it. Also, register as a utility trailer and not a camper, it's usually cheaper.
johnny_swindle
Teardrop Builder

Postby johnny_swindle » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:54 am

I am a total novice when it comes to modifying an existing trailer and I don't know if I would be able to make the modifications to meet these requirements:

I would have to modify the tongue. Not sure I am up to the task. It will make someone who has the skills an excellent trailer.

GPW wrote:What part of LA do you live in ? ... there may be a FREE trailer available ... :o
johnny_swindle
Teardrop Builder

Postby bbrider » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:40 am

Shreveport here. I can tell you from experience from having done both HF trailers and home built. HF trailer COA is signed by the store manager and then since we are a notary state it has to be notarized. My local store has a notary that has their signatures on file you have to go to for the notarizing. Then you can go to the DMV for the title and plates.

Home built trailers require an notarized affidavit, build receipts for parts, and a trip to the State Troopers office to get a vin stamped on the tongue. This will get you a COA from the officer that you take to the DMV. No questions asked about how it is to be used. You also have to have the trailer built with lights to get it stamped obviously. Hope that helps answer your question.
Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:42 am

What BB says !!! :thumbsup: Our homemade trailer was given to us by the guy who made it ( a welder, neighbor and singer in the band ) . We had to get a notarized letter from him stating he built the trailer, and donated it to us (plus two witnesses) ... then drag the whole thing out to the State Police where after some paperwork and visual inspection of the trailer by one of the officers ( he said he’s never seen a Foamie before ) then they handed us a piece of paper with a number on it , some worn out dies, and a small maul hammer and told to go out and do it ourselves ... ( my stamping was awful ) Luckily the DMV was in the same building and we just got in another line ... came home with a life time license plate ( $70.00) and registration ... 2 hours ... mostly waiting in line ... Not so bad , but you MUST have your paperwork done ... and done properly... They’re "sticklers” ... :o

In addition , If you get your hands on an unlicensed or expired licence, no title trailer ( after Katrina , they were everywhere here , boats washed away , trailers abandoned )... You can apply for a "Salvage Title" after nine years .... So even an old or “Found" trailer can be legally registered ... and repurposed for camper building ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion