built in rv stove or coleman stove?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: built in rv stove or coleman stove?

Postby ileanp » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:25 pm

slowcowboy wrote:applanices and new teardrops. what should I do???? its the big descisons go 1947 as its a kampmaster or go modern 2016 and drop the in counter wedge wood rv 2 burner stove in...............aplances???????? or no aplnces and go plane jane definty don't want to live this time around with out a rv forced air furnace. its high on the priority list. sink............no never use it in the old teardrop got me a nice big proclean wash basin. what else. hot water heater no I got a a 2 cup blue coffee pot that does that nicely and yea paper plates............so bathroom no porty pot we got plenty of national forest out houses stores and rest stops. what else.............hmmm I am in love again with white gas and vintage colemans been cooking outside on them beside my protable gas grill all summer............its temptin to ditch the rv propane stove. hmmm

take poll.............who wants portable camp stove who likes modern rv stuff.............its just a poll this tread...........slow..........
ileanp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ileanp » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:27 pm

Don't need all that modern stuff I agree BUT that being said I like a good cookstove that's easy to light - Magic Chef cookstove is in my teardrop and I love it!!
ileanp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ileanp » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:28 pm

Not in my teardrop. It's in the galley outside
ileanp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Philip » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:39 pm

I'll be going with a two burner RV drop in stove. I haven't decided on the brand yet. Plus there is a RV salvage about 40 miles away. I'll run over and see if I can find used first.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:07 pm

The portable stuff has one advantage… its portable! Can be moved to other trailers and locations to cook. I use both built in or portable burners as needed. If its all about a delicious meal, count me in.

Built in has a luxury feel but generates about the same heat and you know where to find the stove since its built in. In either setup the wind screen is critical. https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Compact ... windscreen

The decision factor might be fuel costs.Built in assumes larger tank (to me) – there is some cost saving over a long period of time compared to disposable tanks. My tank is 11 pounds. It costs me $10 to fill it last time. Compare that to 11 one pound tanks which cost $40 For the same amount of fuel http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... d=35765796

You can refill disposable propane bottle from a larger tank 10 pounds or more and save lots-O-money. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Propane-Refill- ... Sw2x1XLHb7

Also if you are using the Coleman one pound bottles a reusable bottle is available. Good for when your main tank is running low or as a replacement for 1 pound bottles if you have a larger tank to refill from. Also good as a cost savings strategy for cooking or heating such as Mr. Heater.
https://www.amazon.com/1LB-Refillable-1 ... manchester

Choosing the cooking pots and pans with scrutiny is more important (to me) than the stove. A bad pan cooks badly on a good stove. A good pan will improve cooking on a bad stove (blowtorch HOT SPOT models).

One example is this pan. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009L ... UTF8&psc=1
Weighs a lot but sure cooks well. Same pan with a handle costs double. If you are using thin backpacking pans a really good simmer is important since those thin pans don’t distribute the heat creating HOT SPOTS which scorch food unless you cook on a rally low flame and give time for the food to warm and cook like I do. What's the rush your camping? Enjoy the smell.

You will need potholders since the pan above does not have a long handle. The pan above is thick and heavy MultiClad good stuff for someone who wants to actually cook unprocessed food. Not necessary for someone who opens a package and eats freeze dried lab "food" out of a plastic bag with a Spork. Who would you rather be on a dinner date with?

For me camping is about outdoors, sun, moon, sky, stars, wind, exercise. ANYTHING other than being in a cubicle and fluorescent lighting. Cooking real food that does not come with a wrapper proclaiming the months old contents are good for me, and a short list of ingredients. that a a 3rd grader can pronounce . Add good companionship and that is camping for me.

Either stove will work. Pick your preference, cooking style, food you will be cooking (or the package you will be opening) and consider the cost. That might help zero you in on your needs!

ENJOY

-Cosmo
Last edited by Cosmo on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:40 am

I don't camp much, but I always look forward to using my Coleman stove. As an ex-Boy Scout from the early 60's, I always cooked on my own Coleman stove, while many others just had to cook hot dogs in the fire on sticks. Breakfast was especially a favorite- fried Spam, hash browns, and eggs, or Little Sizzlers, if Spam was not wanted- I cooked for my Patrol. I missed those days. when I was building my TTT, I bought a new stove and lantern to replace the ones given me by my Granny in '61. Long lost or stolen by my brothers? I bought a dual fuel version, though I will always use White Gas, unless I must resort to unleaded. Not the same smell. I also bought a dual fuel Northstar lantern... never have even filled it with fuel yet. Between park power and generator-run LED lighting, I haven't gotten to it. But, someday, I will. Nothing quite like the hissing of Coleman lanterns and stoves and the smell of the fuel. Better than the smell of napalm in the morning?
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dguff » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:46 am

How is the progress on that Kampmaster style Teardrop?
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Slow,

In my opinion, white gas is he only way to go.
As mentioned above, with a Coleman stove I can cook in the galley, or move to a pick-nick table when one is available.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby KennethW » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:16 pm

I like a free standing stove. A free standing stove can be leveled without having to level the whole camper.
I just bought a like new duel fuel camp stove. It uses white gas or LEADED automobile gas.
I will be using Coleman fuel as leaded gas is very hard to find :lol:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby alchemist77 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:37 pm

working on it wrote:I don't camp much, but I always look forward to using my Coleman stove. As an ex-Boy Scout from the early 60's, I always cooked on my own Coleman stove, while many others just had to cook hot dogs in the fire on sticks. Breakfast was especially a favorite- fried Spam, hash browns, and eggs, or Little Sizzlers, if Spam was not wanted- I cooked for my Patrol. I missed those days. when I was building my TTT, I bought a new stove and lantern to replace the ones given me by my Granny in '61. Long lost or stolen by my brothers? I bought a dual fuel version, though I will always use White Gas, unless I must resort to unleaded. Not the same smell. I also bought a dual fuel Northstar lantern... never have even filled it with fuel yet. Between park power and generator-run LED lighting, I haven't gotten to it. But, someday, I will. Nothing quite like the hissing of Coleman lanterns and stoves and the smell of the fuel. Better than the smell of napalm in the morning?

Brought back many happy memories. Thanks!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
David Campbell
KF7SFU
RaDAR
SOTA
alchemist77
Teardrop Advisor

Postby booyah » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:07 am

So I wanted to do a built in stove on my build, but kept my coleman stove for day 1 use figuring I'd add the built in later.

I have no plans a this time to add a built in. I love the ability to move the stove out to a picnic table at will. I often cook on the counter top, but the ability to move to another location is valuable especially if there is more than one cook "in the kitchen"
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby MadMango » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:56 am

I'm entertaining the Camp Chef 2-burner stove with oven.
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby booyah » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:00 am

MadMango wrote:I'm entertaining the Camp Chef 2-burner stove with oven.

That is in spec for my next build.

Thnking a campster 12 style, with bunks up front that turn into a couch (lots of kids), a small (very small) wash room with porta pot, queen size sleep area with over bunk (again lots of kids), and outside galley with pull out camp chef oven/stove
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby drhill » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:27 am

just a poll, looks like I am an outlier.

After a day biking or hiking, I go for Pizza, Focaccia, muffins or brownies. I bought the old used oven for $25 early on in the planning. It has cooked many pizzas.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion