Are hurricane hinges material question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Are hurricane hinges material question

Postby downsouthcamper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:47 pm

Are hurricane hinges available in steel or is aluminum my only option? could said aluminum hinge hold up to mild abuse?

thanks!
downsouthcamper
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Are hurricane hinges material question

Postby dales133 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:52 pm

Id imagine steel even if powdercoated would be suseptable to rust due to both parts rubbing on each other causing wear.
The one i got is aluminium and looks decent quality but its australian made, ive never seen an american one in the flesh but they look plenty strong enough.
What do you plan using it for?
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby downsouthcamper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:18 pm

its use will be a panel that can be removed if needed. light duty just won't work in this instance. thanks for the info.
downsouthcamper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby yrock87 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:28 pm

I don't know what the ratings are for the hinge, or what exactly makes your use "abusive" but they are fairly strong. my hinge is not perfectly straight and therefore causes some binding issues. it functions perfectly still, but taking it on or off is a... challenge. my point is that the hinge is holding up to an imperfect installation with internal stresses caused by the binding locations. yet it still functions well.

hope that helps.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:27 pm

Abuse?

If you apply force to the point of causing the aluminum to bend, it's not going to work. :frightened:

I don't think anyone makes one in steel. And I think it'd have to be stainless. $$$ :frightened:

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:50 pm

The design seems to require the pieces be extruded, a process routine in aluminum but not steel. Steel is bent and stamped, not processes that lead to hurricane hinge profiles.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:34 pm

I believe that hurricane hinges are extruded. Aluminum is much easier and cheaper to extrude than stainless steel, particularly when extruding more complex cross-sections. Hurricane hinges are already "expensive" in the teardrop world. Would be interesting to see what a stainless steel one would run! $200?

What will you be using this hinge for?

EDIT: Hmmm ... I see somebody just barely beat me to the punch! :p
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:45 am

Interesting subject. I was wrong, ss extrusion is available but one company's site - which seems to do many extrusions - says " Complex custom extruded shapes can be fairly easily produced in aluminum, but are considerably more difficult in brass or bronze or copper and even more difficult in stainless. "

I think the market is just too small to justify they cost to start it. I'm sometimes surprised how easy it is for a small company to have an aluminum extrusion made.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:41 pm

I'm probably the only one that thinks this...but me, I prefer the older style hurricane hinge....with the dropped to portion on the body, you can hide a lot of the fasteners on it, overlay it with the top skin. As mentioned...they are an aluminum extrusion. I guess that corrosion is a lesser evil than rust. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to General Discussion