Propane fridge, fireproofing with what?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Propane fridge, fireproofing with what?

Postby OP827 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:22 pm

I have this small Dometic 3-way RM211 fridge to install in my build with two wall vents. My question is how to properly "fireproof" the upper vent from heat and fumes coming from the heating elements. The sides and top of the top vent area "shall be or fireproof material or be covered with fireproof material"; that is how installation manual describes that with no specific materials mentioned. So... who has such experience and knowledge, please share it here. My google search through the forum was no successful. Thanks for your help. From the web search I saw not so much of fireproofing is present in a typical rv, but then there are fridge fires as well.. :shock:
OP827
Donating Member

Re: Propane fridge, fireproofing with what?

Postby Philip » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 pm

rockwool or mineral wool. Both are the same product. Look for fire rated. The sound proofing type is lower density. The fire rated is a heavy bat type of insulation. Some times it is rated by lbs pre square ft.

If you have never been around rockwool. If you light a cutting torch to its highest setting, put the flame into the bat. It will burn a small hole around the flame. Remove the flame and the hole will have a couple of glowing embers for maybe a few seconds then its done. After 1 minute you can touch the spot with a bare hand.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:44 pm

Philip wrote:rockwool or mineral wool. Both are the same product. Look for fire rated. The sound proofing type is lower density. The fire rated is a heavy bat type of insulation. Some times it is rated by lbs pre square ft.

If you have never been around rockwool. If you light a cutting torch to its highest setting, put the flame into the bat. It will burn a small hole around the flame. Remove the flame and the hole will have a couple of glowing embers for maybe a few seconds then its done. After 1 minute you can touch the spot with a bare hand.

Thanks for reply Philip, where do you suggest I put rockwell mat in this enclosure box and what box should be made of, plywood? Even 1" thick rockwool would probably too thick to be usable and it may also restrict the airflow required for fridge to operate, I must be missing something, maybe? Have you done this kind of installations with rockwool above the fridge top vent?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:57 pm

Found recommendations online, so I think I'll follow the intent of such design. The document calls for metal baffle towards the upper vent, on page 8 -
http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/1236/635473-Installation-Manual.pdf

Aluminum, stainless, or galvanised sheet should work then.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:41 am

Put one in my standie. It had been made with a fridge option but was sold with old insulated cardboard box called an ice box with zero insulation.
So my trailer had vents in the access door. Main issue was heat under the counter top above the propane fridge. My buddy did the main work and also worked on cars. He put auto hood insulation over the fridge. The counter gets a little warm but never hot. I used the propane at first but this is a 3 way fridge and I use land power these days.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby drhill » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:02 pm

I used ceramic fiber insulation around my propane oven and it really helped to increase the temperature I could get the oven to. You can get it at BrockWhite Construction Materials in Calgary, Edmonton or Lloydminster. I seem to recall you are in Edmonton. In that case there are lots of refractory material supply companies there and you probably have an industrial insulator living within a couple blocks of you. You shouldn't have any trouble finding ceramic fiber there but it might take a few calls to find a small quantity. It is also used for insulating wood fired pizza ovens.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:27 pm

dmb90260 wrote:Put one in my standie. It had been made with a fridge option but was sold with old insulated cardboard box called an ice box with zero insulation.
So my trailer had vents in the access door. Main issue was heat under the counter top above the propane fridge. My buddy did the main work and also worked on cars. He put auto hood insulation over the fridge. The counter gets a little warm but never hot. I used the propane at first but this is a 3 way fridge and I use land power these days.

Thanks Dennis for sharing your experience here, btw using land power for the fridge produces about the same amount of heat as well as in propane mode, but no fumes though.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:37 pm

drhill wrote:I used ceramic fiber insulation around my propane oven and it really helped to increase the temperature I could get the oven to. You can get it at BrockWhite Construction Materials in Calgary, Edmonton or Lloydminster. I seem to recall you are in Edmonton. In that case there are lots of refractory material supply companies there and you probably have an industrial insulator living within a couple blocks of you. You shouldn't have any trouble finding ceramic fiber there but it might take a few calls to find a small quantity. It is also used for insulating wood fired pizza ovens.

Thanks Drhill. Great to hear about local supplier info from Albertan here on this board! I'll check them out.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:38 am

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I have not done a 3 way install before.

The heat out put should be miniumal. Your only looking at what amounts to a pilot light if it is the same as the older 3 ways I have been around.

Now one thing I didn't mention in the first post. The pressed ceiling tiles rated for sound control are normly made from rockwool. Those type of tiles are made to be stapled up. They have an interlocking flanges on them. Those you can get in 5/8's thickness. Size can go up to 2'x2'.

In normal operation on propane what temps are you seeing on the exhaust??

Metal would work. Just remember it will transfer heat threw it self to anything its attached to. You posted about fire proof. Metal is fire proof but you need to take heat transfer into account also. Rockwool doesn't transfer heat very much.

Metal is melted around 2600 degrees in a foundry process. Rock wool is melted at 2300 degrees when it is made.

BTW I worked in a rockwool plant for 3 years in maintenance.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion