9' or 10' build?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: 9' or 10' build?

Postby kokomoto » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:55 pm

Final answer.....

Ten feet

Thanks for the comments and advice. It boils down to better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Here's the new template being glued up.

image.jpeg
10' template
image.jpeg (101.56 KiB) Viewed 284 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:15 pm

With a 10' TD you will have a deeper galley that can have a lot more storage. If you drop the galley floor between the frame rails(6'?). Gives room for cooler without getting the galley shelf to high if using a coleman type portable stove. All camp site are not level and some times the galley shelf can be a little high for comforable cooking.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kokomoto » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:25 pm

KennethW wrote:With a 10' TD you will have a deeper galley that can have a lot more storage. If you drop the galley floor between the frame rails(6'?). Gives room for cooler without getting the galley shelf to high if using a coleman type portable stove. All camp site are not level and some times the galley shelf can be a little high for comforable cooking.

That's something to consider, especially with to ground clearance it will have. Thanks Kenneth :beer:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby yrock87 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:21 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but I think it is worth bringing up for those who feel that a smaller tear is okay because they will just carry stuff in the tow vehicle..
Also playing devils advocate with you Slow,

I out my cooler in the tear along with nearly all stuff I take. It leaves my tow vehicle clean, uncluttered and more comfortable for travel. Also, and most importantly, it reduces the weight in my TV. I have a relativly small TV with a Subaru Outback. Adding an 80lb cooler to the rear axle is a noticeable amount of weight on the rear axle. Loaded with the 200lbs of cooler, bags, stove, ext... Not to mention people and the Outback starts to feel a little bloated going down the highway. However your car can tow more than it can carry. Make the trailer handle the weight and the TV just has to do the acceleration and stopping. The whole assembly handles better that way.

For those with pick ups, an 80lb cooler isn't a big deal, but for those of us with midsized cars, 80lbs can make a big difference. And it is worth remembering the principle regardless of your TV. A ram 2500 will tow a 2500 lb rv better than it will carry a 2500 lb camper.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby booyah » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:14 am

I have the standard blue Coleman 48qt cooler in the back of mine, and I had to adjust the rear wall a bit to fit it in an 8x5 benroy.

My tow vehicle is even smaller (scion xd) and I always carry the cooler in the galley. I counter weight with the battery in the tongue box, and maybe a few tools in there too. Part of my reasoning is then I have everything in the camper to camp, cook, eat and sleep. I dont have to even think about where the cooler is, where the dry good are, where the stove is, where the plates are, where the etc, etc, etc...

Loaded up under a normal trip the camper weighs in under 1000lbs with a tongue weight I can still lift one handed and tows like a champ.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion