Bedding Find

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Bedding Find

Postby ColoradoCody » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:06 pm

I'm curious to hear about everyone's bedding choices. Any lessons learned?

I came across a pretty sweet folding mattress that turns into a small sofa. Just ordered it from overstock.com with high hopes. I liked the idea mainly because I feel I'll get bored in my Tear if it starts to rain and I retreat in there for a few hours. I'd hate to be laying down the entire storm if it's not night time, so hopefully this will work out. has anyone tried this thing before?

Lucid 4" Mattress/Sofa

https://www.lucidmattress.com/descripti ... ress-sofa/
Attachments
4inchFolding_8-slanted-WB1442516497_original.jpg
4inchFolding_8-slanted-WB1442516497_original.jpg (137.28 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Photos by day, photos by night. Bring on the stars!
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Bedding Find

Postby yrock87 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:22 pm

I wanted to get something like that. but the cost was a limiting factor. I instead I used two foam mattress toppers that I had from older beds. a four inch memory foam and a 2 inch normal foam together make for a very comfortable bed. and they were free... however the memory foam is heavy... if I ever decide the memory foam is to much of a PITA I will likely get a foldable one like you purchased. let us know how you like it.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby ae6black » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:46 pm

I think it's a great design. I started out with a queen size foam that I bought off the web from some foam website at an economical price. I cut it to size to fit the drop, sewed up a cover to keep it clean and then used the excess that I cut off the sides to build a trifold back rest to lean up against while I am watching movies on the laptop. The nice thing about a TD is that you can afford to make changes as you go along when you find something that better fits your needs. Since that time, I cut my mattress into three sections and sewed them up in the same cover that I had before in the three sections so that I could store them in middle of the trailer for free air flow when I wasn't using it for extended periods of time which for me is practically all summer. That way I don't get that musty smell that I got when I left the mattress tight against the walls. Left out in the sun the way my TD is, the heating and cooling during the day and at night proved to be a bit much.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby ColoradoCody » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Yeah, the price was a little more than I wanted to spend and I may have rushed my purchase, especially since I don't even have anything besides a used trailer at this point. haha.

But I was looking at foam toppers and cheap mattresses for a few hours and couldn't really find much under $80 so I decided that the $115 was worth the nifty design and should fit well in my trailer (according to the plans in my head).

I am excited that I can wash the covering on this as well as fold it up and take it out when not in use. I'll be sure to let you know how it works, but I need to build the Tear first. It just snowed and I don't have a garage so it may be a few months.... :o
Photos by day, photos by night. Bring on the stars!
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Postby yrock87 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:15 pm

ae6black wrote:I think it's a great design. I started out with a queen size foam that I bought off the web from some foam website at an economical price. I cut it to size to fit the drop, sewed up a cover to keep it clean and then used the excess that I cut off the sides to build a trifold back rest to lean up against while I am watching movies on the laptop. The nice thing about a TD is that you can afford to make changes as you go along when you find something that better fits your needs. Since that time, I cut my mattress into three sections and sewed them up in the same cover that I had before in the three sections so that I could store them in middle of the trailer for free air flow when I wasn't using it for extended periods of time which for me is practically all summer. That way I don't get that musty smell that I got when I left the mattress tight against the walls. Left out in the sun the way my TD is, the heating and cooling during the day and at night proved to be a bit much.

Art

I need to make a cover for mine! cutting it up into three smaller pieces sounds like a good idea as you mention. does your three piece design double as a back rest, or do you still use the old scrap of foam?
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:12 am

Not hijack this thread, but here's a similar one that might be helpful to other shoppers:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=67411&p=1189479&hilit=bed+chart#p1189479

I like your idea! I think the tri-fold mattress is the easiest for DIY use.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby ae6black » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:37 am

I need to make a cover for mine! cutting it up into three smaller pieces sounds like a good idea as you mention. does your three piece design double as a back rest, or do you still use the old scrap of foam?

I left the actual mattress in three separate sections because I find that they are easier to move around. With foam you can get compression after several weeks. This gives me the ability to switch sections back and forth. If the three units were sewed together, I'd loose that ability.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Don L. » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:13 pm

I was thinking of using foam and then came across a nice futon mattress at this outdoor garden and houseware store. I also saw a futon mattress at Walmart that felt nice and soft. The good thing about them is they have a covering over them.
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby El_Ducko » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:24 pm

I bought one of thesehttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B013L4ZTDY/ref=twister_B013L4ZP0Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 and I'm planning on getting some pillows to prop up with. Hope to sleep like a baby!
El_Ducko
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion