TV Under Cabinet Mount Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

TV Under Cabinet Mount Question

Postby DWT77 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:54 pm

I have been going back and forth about putting a 12v TV in my teardrop. I have a laptop (13 inch) and have thought about just putting a slide out table underneath the cabinets. If weather is bad ect... just put the laptop on the slide out and watch whatever movies I have. Simple and easy which is a good way to go.

Then I wonder if a 22 inch tv is worth installing? I am going to try and explain what I am thinking and hopefully it makes sense lol..

I don't think I would want it exposed all of the time and have been thinking about a way to conceal it if I choose to install one. I did a search and looked through the first couple of pages but didn't find what I was looking for. So here is what I have come up with. I notice a lot of people will mount the TV between the cabinets in a cubby hole up high. This seems to take up a lot of space to where an actual cabinet could go. For explaining purposes lets say I want 3 cabinets on the top row and 3 drawers on the bottom row. What do you think about taking the middle drawer and the below mount and flip it over on the inside of the drawer ( so it essentially flips up instead of down) and that will allow me to open and close the drawer with the tv inside. Flip it down and close the drawer and it is out of the way for travel ect... This would also allow a cabinet above it for more storage. Has anyone done this or have any thoughts on it? Is a TV even worth installing? I know it's all personal preference but I would like to hear some feedback from long time teardrop owners since I am still building mine.

This under cabinet mount https://www.amazon.com/Mount-MI-4211-Ce ... ount&psc=1

Thanks!
DWT77
The 300 Club

Re: TV Under Cabinet Mount Question

Postby bam1028 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:23 pm

I didn't use a under mount but in our first camper we used a swing arm mount on one of the walls. I bought some small metal tie down hooks and a small strap to fold it out of the way and make sure it was secure for travel. It was convenient because we could get to our cabinets and still have the tv when we wanted to watch.
bam1028
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:01 pm

DWT77 wrote:For explaining purposes lets say I want 3 cabinets on the top row and 3 drawers on the bottom row. What do you think about taking the middle drawer and the below mount and flip it over on the inside of the drawer ( so it essentially flips up instead of down) and that will allow me to open and close the drawer with the tv inside. Flip it down and close the drawer and it is out of the way for travel ect... This would also allow a cabinet above it for more storage. Has anyone done this or have any thoughts on it? Is a TV even worth installing?

I don't have any pictures of the finished product with the TV in the up position, but I did something similar for the 19" TV in our teardrop. Instead of three draws, I have two "cubbies", that are partial depth of the TV drawer, on either side of the drawer. The two spaces behind the cubbies are for downward facing speakers. Instead of mounting the drawer front to the drawer, I hinged it at the bottom so it folds down when the TV drawer is extended. I did this to keep from having the TV be mounted high enough to clear the drawer front height.

Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:40 pm

I wonder if some type of flip down ceiling mount would work? Might save you some storage space. Might also be an uncomfortable viewing angle...
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby DWT77 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:17 pm

I don't have any pictures of the finished product with the TV in the up position, but I did something similar for the 19" TV in our teardrop. Instead of three draws, I have two "cubbies", that are partial depth of the TV drawer, on either side of the drawer. The two spaces behind the cubbies are for downward facing speakers. Instead of mounting the drawer front to the drawer, I hinged it at the bottom so it folds down when the TV drawer is extended. I did this to keep from having the TV be mounted high enough to clear the drawer front height.

Image[/quote]

I like how you did yours and the speakers in the back facing down was a good idea to give you more space with the cubby holes.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:19 pm

jstrubberg wrote:I wonder if some type of flip down ceiling mount would work? Might save you some storage space. Might also be an uncomfortable viewing angle...

Mounting it on the ceiling might work and you are probably right about the angle. Also, I think it would be harder to hide up there too.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby jandmz » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:35 pm

I used a similar mount under the cabinet in our 23 ft TT. A 19 inch TV is big enough for a TT, so I would expect a 22 incher to be overkill in a teardrop.

I mounted it in the intended position. It uses a knob type snap to hold it in the folded position, and it will not stay up in transit. The swivel does not have an adjustment to tighten it up, and the TV is always hanging down in the viewing position when we get to our destination. Make sure that the mount's swivel can tighten down enough that it won't flop down while you are trying to watch TV.

This is the one I used. I don't know if it would work for your application. https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Cabine ... B00153U1Z0
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion