Plumber's Putty (?)

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Plumber's Putty (?)

Postby les45 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:11 am

I'm getting ready to install my Fantastic Fan and I plan to do it differently this time. After reading about the downside to silicone in some posts on this forum, I've decided to use Geocell ProFlex around the edges. I don't have any butyl tape left over from my last project so my question is can I use a bead of plumber's putty under the flange? I don't recall any previous discussions on this issue.
les45
500 Club

Re: Plumber's Putty (?)

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:24 am

My experiences with removing and replacing sinks in rentals, etc. is the plumbers putty becomes crumbly, something that shouldn't be exposed to the elements.
I have used this without any problems.
It comes in clear, white, black and if I remember correctly, brown & silver too.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Re: Plumber's Putty (?)

Postby Tomterrific » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:09 pm

I did not want my vent 'glued' to the roof. I used Mortite brand rope caulk. This is a ribbon of about 5 strands of caulk that works similar to modeling clay. It stops water, conforms to any surface, and is removable in the future. I love this stuff as it is easy to work with and does the job. I used finish washers with the screws and filled the inside of the washers with the caulk. It squeezed out when the screw tightened, completely sealing each screw.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Return to General Discussion