Winter Camping - Helpful Hints?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Winter Camping - Helpful Hints?

Postby deleted » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Silicon earplugs and a hat with ear flaps. I don't recall the brand name of the earplugs I bought but can look the next time I'm at the store if you'd like me to. They are so much more comfortable than the foam plugs and are reusable so that was why I tried them in the first place. I'll never go back or try anything else.

I've spent 2 28º nights in my trailer with windows closed but the vent open and the vent fan on and blowing the warm air out. Cold when I got in but shortly after I woke up too hot and had to take off the extra sweater and hat to be able to sleep.

ETA: Both nights were with no electric to plug into.
Last edited by deleted on Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:18 pm

hugh wrote:You are right ventilation and fresh air is important.

I found this website with some pretty good information on air/O2 needs in enclosed spaces.
http://members.shaw.ca/tfrisen/how_much ... person.htm

According to them, if you have a 1cu Meter space ( totally air tight) it will support a resting person for about 2 hours. My 5x8 TD is about 2.5 cu Meters, so it would be good for a little over 5 hours for one person assuming its air tight.

It also says a resting person needs about 14.7 Liters/hour of fresh air to breath. This works out to 0.5 Cuft/hour. Determining hour much air flows through a window or vent etc without pressurization gets pretty tough, because the direction of the wind and what side the openings are on etc all have some impact. But as best as I can tell, a 4 inch hole can pass air on the range of 20 to 50 cubic feet per minute with modest air pressure. What this tells me is that cracking a couple of windows, and perhaps the vent is probably adequate for providing the air needed to keep you breathing easy during the night. Of course if you wake up with a headache...
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Tucguy » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:20 am

75 percent of your body's heat comes from your head. Cover your head and breathe through a small hole if necessary. Sleeping in the cold requires this.I think covering your head with your covers and exhaling into your bedding helps keep you warm as well.
Last edited by Tucguy on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobwhite215 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:08 am

Tucguy wrote:75 percent of your body's heat comes from your head. Cover your head and breathe through a small hole if necessary. Sleeping in the cold requires this.

This is an old myth. You don't lose any more heat thru your head than any other part of your body. If it were true, you could run around naked in the winter except for a hat and be warm. We certainly wouldn't want that.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:17 am

Tucguy wrote:75 percent of your body's heat comes from your head. Cover your head and breathe through a small hole if necessary. Sleeping in the cold requires this.

For those that use a CPAP covering one's head is easy. That and 4 blankets will make you as snug as a bug in a rug.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jandmz » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:17 pm

Way back in this thread, someone mentioned night caps to keep your head warm. One cold March night, dry camping on the Natchez Trace, I ended up using a t-shirt as a night cap. I pulled the neckline over my head, down to about eye level, covering the tops of my ears on the sides, and about neck level in back. My wife thought it looked pretty funny. But, hey, when you don't have any hair, you gotta keep the head warm somehow, and it worked pretty well..
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby Idlerockfarm » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Interesting discussion. I have a tiny tent camper and camped down to 29 degrees this fall. I used a propane buddy heater to warm up and change into clean night clothes. I also put on a hat. I turned off the heater, got in my 0 degree mummy bag, closed it around my face and was pretty good for the night.

I want to use a heated mattress pad or blanket next time. I'd rather be warm than not too cold.
2016 Livin Lite Quicksilver 6.0
Nights camped 2016: 17
Idlerockfarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TheBallew » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:56 pm

jandmz wrote:Way back in this thread, someone mentioned night caps to keep your head warm. One cold March night, dry camping on the Natchez Trace, I ended up using a t-shirt as a night cap. I pulled the neckline over my head, down to about eye level, covering the tops of my ears on the sides, and about neck level in back. My wife thought it looked pretty funny. But, hey, when you don't have any hair, you gotta keep the head warm somehow, and it worked pretty well..

I shaved my head for a couple years. It's amazing how cold a bare head gets, and how much difference even a thin cap can make.
TheBallew
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kirkman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:17 pm

I modified a cheep Walmart electric heater so the fan runs constantly. It works great to keep the air circulating. The heating element comes on and off when the temp rise's and falls. . I open the roof vent 1/2 inch and one window 1/2 inch with the curtain closed all but 3 inches to control condensation. I also use a electric blanket. I have slept in my tear in temps down to -18.
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Don L. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:32 pm

I use 1 or 2 of these heated floor mats and open the roof vent a tiny bit and or a window. They feel really good on your feet. I have a 6x11 standie and 2 is plenty down to 30 degrees while allowing some opening of vents.

I also use them in my workshop since they heat the concrete around it and that all radiates up.

https://www.matsmatsmats.com/commercial ... r-mat.html
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion