Generic Benroy; underneath the galley counter-depth

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Generic Benroy; underneath the galley counter-depth

Postby johnny_swindle » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:17 pm

In the planning stages of my teardrop project and plan on using profile of the generic benroy. I confuse myself every time I think I know that the depth of the space under the galley counter. :? I need this to determine the size of ice chest and or refrigerator that can fit in this space.

Can someone take a look and tell me what the measurement is?

Johnny
johnny_swindle
Teardrop Builder

Re: Generic Benroy; underneath the galley counter-depth

Postby bobwhite215 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:20 pm

I'm kind of approaching it from the other direction on my build. As far as the galley goes, I'm placing the big items - stove, cooler, ac, and building everything else around them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:37 am

Start at the front & work back. The mattress is the biggest thing you need to consider, so do a layout stick with the walls, hatch, bulkheads etc. & see what's left over for the galley. Also depends on the overall length you're working with as to what's left over for a galley.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby johnny_swindle » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks to everyone who has replied. We have a large living room (20x20) so we moved the couches out of the way a bit and did a layout on the floor. It looks like we will need to modify the generic benroy profile length to 9ft and potentially increase the height slightly. That should not be hard to do even for noob like me.

Thanks...

Johnny
johnny_swindle
Teardrop Builder

Postby noseoil » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:59 am

Johnny, we did the same thing with our Benroy. At 5' X 9' LOA you can have a decent galley, a full size mattress & a bit of storage. 8' is pretty small for a good sized galley, if there's a stove & ice chest in the plan. 9' just works out much better in general. Take a look at layouts for 9' trailers & you'll see how the extra foot makes a huge difference in available space. A full sized layout will really help with the planning.

A 1X2 that is the length of your build will let you make adjustments before you cut any materials, it really helps to see things first & avoid mistakes later.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TimC » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:26 am

noseoil wrote:Start at the front & work back. The mattress is the biggest thing you need to consider, so do a layout stick with the walls, hatch, bulkheads etc. & see what's left over for the galley. Also depends on the overall length you're working with as to what's left over for a galley.

Now that's why I read posts in t&ttt regularly. A layout stick for planning/designing. Never thought of that. I know the Generic Benroy Plans are complete with measurements, but, the layout stick should be a side note in those plans for folks like me that want an easy way to tweak a design a bit. :thumbsup: noseoil!
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby booyah » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:37 pm

dont forget to factor in the thickness of the walls in that stick... Mines an 8x5 and I had to cut a few inches off the bed length to fit the cooler in the galley. Not a huge deal, I'm the biggest in the family at 6', but a taller person might miss those few inches.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby johnny_swindle » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:42 pm

Very good advice....

We are still in the early planning stages and have noticed a few things about the generic Benroy that we would have to deviate from to make it "comfortable" for us.

Johnny

noseoil wrote:Johnny, we did the same thing with our Benroy. At 5' X 9' LOA you can have a decent galley, a full size mattress & a bit of storage. 8' is pretty small for a good sized galley, if there's a stove & ice chest in the plan. 9' just works out much better in general. Take a look at layouts for 9' trailers & you'll see how the extra foot makes a huge difference in available space. A full sized layout will really help with the planning.

A 1X2 that is the length of your build will let you make adjustments before you cut any materials, it really helps to see things first & avoid mistakes later.
johnny_swindle
Teardrop Builder

Postby johnny_swindle » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:46 pm

I took a quick peek at your build journal. Did you use a Northern Tools trailer? I have one on order (wanted a 5x10, but Red Trailer was out and did not know when they would have them back in stock).

Johnny

booyah wrote:dont forget to factor in the thickness of the walls in that stick... Mines an 8x5 and I had to cut a few inches off the bed length to fit the cooler in the galley. Not a huge deal, I'm the biggest in the family at 6', but a taller person might miss those few inches.
johnny_swindle
Teardrop Builder

Postby booyah » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:53 pm

I did. Its been a fine base for the build.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion