any one in to smoking.?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: any one in to smoking.?

Postby djohnsonnv » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:18 pm

Recently added a home built smoker to my list of projects I'd like to do but probably won't for a long time. Checked out a few online forums (the bbq trailers have a great design concept). Look forward to finding time to build one and start smoking.
djohnsonnv
Teardrop Builder

Postby mhphillips111 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:25 pm

slowcowboy wrote:I am slowly getting into smoking meat. I am following converting weber smokey joe gold grill into a smoker which they show on utube converts in to what is called the weber smokey mini mountain........they use a 32 quart imusa steamer stock pot to fit between the lid and the grill..........and it converts into a home shop made smoker. there is not harm done to the gril wich by removing the pot stays a grill. un touched. ............just a latest on a string of winter bored projects as is converting by forging a large 1inch and a 1/8 wrench into a tomahawk...................... so...............whats it like to smoke meat??????????? any on else got any bored projects besides building a teardrop going on this winter? slow

I have been smoking for awhile and brewing at the same time. It is such a stress reliever and a accomplishment when everything comes together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mhphillips111
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:35 pm

This is the Traeger Tailgater with the legs folded. Fits nicely in the back of a pick up but you need power and I do have a generator. They also sell an insulation pad to slip under it. I have not done this yet, my cooking has all been in the back yard.

This one is a Christmas present and will have a supply pellets with it but we are making paella for dinner that day.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:02 pm

The folding legs makes for a great option. I have brought my Traeger to a couple of gatherings in the past but need to drive my work van as my TV to pull the teardrop. Then I need help getting the thing in and out of the van. Folding legs would make it so much easier. Have you made any other things beside meat on your tailgater?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:22 pm

I use a Big Green Egg. Load it with about 11 lbs. of lump hardwood charcoal with no chemicals or binders, and it will run for over 24 hours at 225 degrees. Cannot beat a beef brisket smoked for 16 hours. If you haven't been there before, check out the nakedwhiz.com it is not what it sounds like. The turkey recipe by Mad Max is fantasric.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby coyote » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:41 pm

We get a large chunk of bologna, 3 lbs. , I think, remove the wrapping, then set it on a piece of foil and let the smoker do its thing. About 4 hours or so, I run mine at about 200. If it cracks open, remove, that means enough, any more and taste will suffer. I've tried making slits and pressing cloves of garlic in the slits, but not thought it was any different. A butcher I know, also a smoker, said he did not like the stuff out of the deli, it not only cost more, the flavor is not near as good. It's a hit with family. (can't really speak of the salt or fat, level, but it's super easy, almost error free, so good and of course a reasonably priced receipe.) Dave
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:58 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Well done, that looks real tasty. I was confused when you said you had a tailgater. Traeger makes a small table top model, that is what I thought you had.

Here is the link. Anyone have any experience with this small smoker? http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grill ... l#start=14

My buddy has one and it works well for him, the only drawback is the low lid height. I have the tailgater with the folding legs, I did a 10lb prime rib on it last year in Oregon for our camping group, about 5 hrs at 225-250 deg. took the center to 125 deg. pulled it and wrapped it for 20 minutes, slice and serve......Heaven to say the least. :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:00 am

The low lid height was my biggest concern with the table model unit. But it would be much easier to transport around.

Lots of good ideas and info here guys. Good post Slow! Maybe we need some recipes to share along the way.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:39 am

Woodbutcher wrote:Have you made any other things beside meat on your tailgater?

Only the incidental ear of corn or potato to go with what I am smoking. Dean Hubbard smokes a lot of cheese but I do not lean that way.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:46 am

Woodbutcher wrote:The low lid height was my biggest concern with the table model unit. But it would be much easier to transport around.

Lots of good ideas and info here guys. Good post Slow! Maybe we need some recipes to share along the way.

I have not put together my Davy Crockett.

But when I do, I expect the lid height will also be low. So I plan on using my welding self training to build a permanent mounting stand for when used at home.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:07 pm

I'm not familiar with the Davey Crockett model. Let us know how you like it.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:17 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:I'm not familiar with the Davey Crockett model. Let us know how you like it.

Woodbutcher,
Will do.

Meanwhile, here is one of the many videos I watched as I was researching which one to get. When Sam's had a $100 off sale, I jumped on it.

https://youtu.be/Y0ed226ViZA
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Looks like a nice unit. The folding legs make it easy to move. Hope it works well for you, cause there is nothing like good BBQ!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Rygolf32 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:52 am

Definitely. I have 3 grills/smokers currently that I rotate using depending on the use and two 'mini' grills/smokers that I'll bring camping.

My gas smoker is a 24" Smoke Vault propane smoker that I absolutely love. For $250, it is probably one of the best purchases that I've ever made. I'm just too cheap to fork out the cash for a pellet smoker or custom job.

I also have a Weber Genesis gas grill that I use for all of my quick grilling needs or to finish something.

My third grill that doubles as a smoker is a good old fashioned Weber Kettle grill. I use this method with charcoal around the edge and it works very well with keeping the temp 225-250 for up to 12 hours. http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36757

I also have two smokey joe's, a regular and a 'jumbo' that I will take camping. The regular smokey joe we grill on and the 'jumbo' I will use to smoke since there is a bit more room in it. This allows us to still eat the good stuff while being out in the middle of nowhere! :)

Since smoke tends to infiltrate everything, I have changed my plan from installing a smoker/grill somewhere and just continue bringing one of my smokey joe's in the back of my pickup.
Trailer - 2019 7x12 Pace American Journey SE
Tow Vehicle - 2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
Rygolf32
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to General Discussion