any one in to smoking.?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: any one in to smoking.?

Postby Sabatical » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:14 pm

I've been smoking for a few years now in our weber kettle using a smokinator 2000. It's just a piece of stainless bent 90 degrees and rounded to fit the curve of the grill. It's got two holes to drop fuel through and a small dish for water. It works real well and the capcity of the grill is plenty for a turkey or a couple chickens or pork butts. Mmm good eats.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
Sabatical
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sierraguy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:39 pm

I love to smoke pork spareribs often on my kamado grill. I usually burn a combination of Mesquite lump charcoal with chunks of Pecan wood. My favorite kind of Sunday is brewing a batch of homebrewed ale while I smoke a rack of spares.
Sierraguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:56 pm

I am a pellet head. My smoker is a Traeger pellet grill. I love it. My first smoker was a Weber Bullet I think it was called. Worked fine but required lots of attention. So I moved up to the pellet smoker. This burns only food grade pellets no heating pellets.

Here is a picture....

These are 6 chickens waiting at a bus stop. LOL

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:26 am

Woodbutcher wrote:I am a pellet head. My smoker is a Traeger pellet grill. I love it. My first smoker was a Weber Bullet I think it was called. Worked fine but required lots of attention. So I moved up to the pellet smoker. This burns only food grade pellets no heating pellets.
]

I followed same path. I have a nice lightly used Weber Bullet out back waiting to get on Craigslist.
I use the Traeger Tailgater, perfect size for me and use it all the time. It is small but handles two racks of ribs and this year did a 13# turkey.
I like it so much there is one in my truck as a Christmas present for my brother.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby coyote » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:54 am

I made a smoker out of a BIG 1/4 inch plate tool box from work (pitched). Love everything that comes out. In spite of whatever it is, wife will not let it run without making sure a bologna is in there! Although what got my attention, the title... sometime around the camp fire, a cheap cigar cant be beat. ;) (Flor de Liv chruchill) Dave
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:05 am

coyote wrote:I made a smoker out of a BIG 1/4 inch plate tool box from work (pitched). Love everything that comes out. In spite of whatever it is, wife will not let it run without making sure a bologna is in there! Although what got my attention, the title... sometime around the camp fire, a cheap cigar cant be beat. ;) (Flor de Liv chruchill) Dave

I have never tried smoking Balogna. Not sure why. We have ordered smoked Bologna when at a BBQ restaurant but never thought to do one myself. Do you just buy a big chunk or a whole link? How does the smoke penetrate the Bologna skin? Any tricks?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:09 am

dmb90260 wrote:
Woodbutcher wrote:I am a pellet head. My smoker is a Traeger pellet grill. I love it. My first smoker was a Weber Bullet I think it was called. Worked fine but required lots of attention. So I moved up to the pellet smoker. This burns only food grade pellets no heating pellets.
]

I followed same path. I have a nice lightly used Weber Bullet out back waiting to get on Craigslist.
I use the Traeger Tailgater, perfect size for me and use it all the time. It is small but handles two racks of ribs and this year did a 13# turkey.
I like it so much there is one in my truck as a Christmas present for my brother.

I looked at the tailgater to bring to Teardrop gatherings. But it looked like I could not get much in it. But if a 13# turkey fits, I may re think that. Did the turkey fit whole, or did you spachcock it?

PS. You are a great brother!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:22 am

I love smoking meat, I have 3 smokers and I want another one, would love a pellet fed one.
But the joy comes from making your own rubs and sauces more then the smoking itself
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:40 pm

Slow - for a project, google "ugly drum smoker". I don't have experience with these but they are supposed to work great. I generally grill on a Weber kettle and will smoke on it using a slow n sear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ClydeB » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:46 am

I have a masterbuilt, got it from Lowes some years back. We make our own cheese and pepper smoked sausage every year out of venison....... Pretty sure it is really close to what the gods eat!

Smoked ribs, turkeys, chickens, hind quarters, and cheese (using a cold smoke generator). I personally am fond of apple wood with fig wood being a close second but any fruit wood is in my opinion better than nothing.

Also got a wireless thermometer, would recommend this to all!

Anyways good luck and good eats!
ClydeB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrowe » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:36 am

I purchased a Masterbuilt propane smoker last September to start my way in the world of serious smoking. I do not like it and will sell it. Received last week a Green Mountain Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker and cannot wait to use it. It has some great reviews. I cannot wait to try to make summer sausage out of venison.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby dguff » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:02 pm

A couple of years ago I bought a Pitbarrel smoker. Works great and I use it at least once a week, frequently more often. Works great for ribs, tritip, chicken, turkey, sausages and other stuff. Strictly charcoal.
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:53 pm

Thirteen pound turkey spatchcocked this year on the Tailgater Traeger.
Bacon wrapped drumsticks
Kabobs

I usually do two racks of ribs in my Traeger but seem to have eaten them without taking pictures. :frightened: :shock: :lol:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Well done, that looks real tasty. I was confused when you said you had a tailgater. Traeger makes a small table top model, that is what I thought you had.

Here is the link. Anyone have any experience with this small smoker? http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grill ... l#start=14
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:43 pm

ImageImageImage
I smoke something pretty much every weekend on my keber kettle
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion