Big cost increase for Senior Parks Pass coming soon

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Big cost increase for Senior Parks Pass coming soon

Postby mustangcats » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:10 pm

I just checked the National Parks website to confirm when the price goes up. It appears that all the benefits will remain the same, just the price goes to $80. This is the first price increase since 1994. It also mentioned a work around for senior citizens on limited incomes. They can purchase an annual pass for $20. After they purchase 4 of those passes, they can then trade them in for a lifetime pass at no additional charge. I'm going to miss being eligible for the lifetime $10 pass by just one year...but even at $80 it is still the bargain of a lifetime.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:24 am

spoke to the friend at the National Park and she said it is true the they got instructed to start selling the lifetime passes for $80 on 28Aug17 - she said now that word has gone out of the final date, they have been going crazy with all of the ones coming it and getting theirs before they go up in $$$.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby JuneBug » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:35 pm

We're heading to Colorado Tuesday. I'm planning on getting a pass in my name at the Public Lands Office in Durango. Ours was purchased in DH's name. I laminated it to it's hang tag and we've used it quite a bit. It's worth the $10 to have one in my name. This lives in the glove compartment next to the laminated CORSAR card:

Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue (CORSAR) Card

Colorado residents and visitors are well served by dedicated volunteer search and rescue teams. By purchasing a Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue (CORSAR) card you are contributing to the Search and Rescue Fund, which will reimburse these teams for costs incurred in search and rescues across the State of Colorado. The CORSAR card is available for $3 for a one-year card and $12 for five-year card

If you get yourself in trouble and S & R has to come and find you and assist you in getting back to the trailhead, the pool of funds generated by the purchase of these cards reimburses the local S & R group for it's expenses. Much better than you being charged and paying out-of-pocket.
It does NOT cover the cost of a helicopter for a MedEvac.
You can buy one on line or at most sporting goods stores in Colorado.
http://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dola/se ... escue-fund
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion