Big cost increase for Senior Parks Pass coming soon

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Big cost increase for Senior Parks Pass coming soon

Postby Esteban » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:35 pm

I just read in the Tearjerkers forum that Senior Parks Passes for people over 62 years of age are about to greatly increase in cost and may no longer be good for life. If you're 62 or older it would be wise to get one now before the cost shoots up.

You can apply online for a Senior Pass (it costs $20) here: 2016 Senior Park Pass

Here's the quote from StevenT I just read at the Tearjerkers website:

Senior Pass increase coming

Postby StevenT » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:52 pm
I just saw this on another forum and thought I would post it in case anyone wants to save on an annual pass. You must be 62 or older.

The House of Representatives just passed HR4680 http://tinyurl.com/zo2hl6f that will, if the Senate passes it, change the $10 lifetime Senior Pass to cost the same as the annual America the Beautiful Pass, which is currently $80 for a year. The companion bill in the Senate is S2257 - http://tinyurl.com/h582fdb .
Both bills have bipartisan support so the legislation could be on the President's desk by the end of the week, and probably be signed and effective immediately.
Since it was in the law that current Senior Passes are good for life, the one you have will probably still be good. But if you don't have one yet, now is the time to buy at the $10/life rate. You can get one at a National Park, at offices of the USFS, BLM and BOR, at some NWRs, and at USACE (COE) rec sites.
You can also buy one using the USGS online store, but hurry. See: https://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html . Applicants must fill out the Online Application and upload proof of residency and age. This may be done by photographing your document and uploading it to the order. You will need to provide a credit card payment of $20.00 ($10.00 fee for the Senior Pass, and an additional $10.00 document processing fee). Once the documentation is verified and payment is received, a pass, with the pass owner’s name pre-printed on it, will be issued to the applicant. If you cannot order a Senior pass online, you can submit a Paper Application by mail to the USGS using the paper application and enclosing the same documents and $20 fee.

Recreation Fees and Passes information from the US Forest Service. Buying your Senior Pass in person reduces the cost to just $10 (if you do it before the big cost increase).

Interagency Senior Pass

Cost

$10 Lifetime
Who Qualifies

Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
Must be 62 years of age or older.
Must obtain in person.
Must show proof of age, which may be a state driver's license showing birth date, a birth certificate, or similar document.

Benefits

Honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.
Valid for pass holder's lifetime.
Admits pass holder and any accompanying passengers in a private non-commercial vehicle.
At per-person fee areas, admits pass holder and up to 3 persons. Persons 15 and younger are admitted free of charge.
Receives a 50% discount on some expanded amenity fees like campgrounds (does not include hookups for water/sewer/electricity), highly developed boat launches and swimming sites and for specialized interpretive services.
Generally applies to:
Single family campsites
Highly developed boat launches or swimming sites
Guided tours, movies and seminars (pass holder only)
Does not apply to:
Additional campsites not occupied by pass holder
Flat fee for a group campsite
Separate fee for utility hookups

Display

At staffed sites, show your pass to the booth attendant.

At unstaffed sites, use hangtag to display pass from rear-view mirror. Hangtags are available wherever you purchase a pass.

At per-person sites, present pass upon request.

Other Important Details

Nontransferable.

Belongs to the signer only and s/he must be present for the pass to be used. Photo identification may be requested to verify pass ownership.

Concessionaires may or may not honor this pass, according to the terms of their current permit.

Pass holders receive a 50% discount on some expanded amenity fees.

Decals may be issued free for open topped vehicles at unstaffed sites. Decals are only valid when the owner has an accompanying valid pass.

Are not valid for any special recreation permits.

How to Obtain a Pass and Hangtag

Available online at http://store.usgs.gov (link is external) or at most national forest or grassland offices. Passes purchased through USGS have an extra $10 processing fee.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Big cost increase for Senior Parks Pass coming soon

Postby Esteban » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:59 pm

:( I misplaced (lost) my Senior Pass. :) I'll buy a new one today for $10 at the nearby Santa Maria, CA US Forest Service office. :D Really want to be sure to have a low cost Senior Pass good for my lifetime.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby minstrel » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:48 pm

Well, rats. I turn 62 in May and have been waiting to purchase this pass before I really hit the National Parks. Guess I'll just have to pony up. $80.00 is still a deal if you use it a lot. :NC
minstrel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Camper Tushkeys » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:59 pm

Well.... That sucks....
Just keep it moving.....
Camper Tushkeys
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:19 pm

Someone tell me quick before New Years if there is any reason my wife should have her own? I got mine a few years back.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:06 pm

The way I read it, the cost of lifetime is going to $20 from $10 but $10 is $10.

(Sec. 102) The Department of the Interior (for a federal land management agency) and the Department of Agriculture (for the Forest Service) shall make the National Parks and Federal Lands Pass available to any U.S. citizen OR person residing in the United States who is 62 years of age or older for:
•a period of 12 months from the date of issuance at a cost of $20; and
• the LIFETIME of the passholder at a cost (currently $10) equal to the cost of the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass.

I think they are equalizing the charge to all citizens. I might be wrong but....

My wife has the Disabled pass so I don't need one, however I told her that if she passed before me I would like to still camp so she told me to go ahead and get one did not bother her. It does support our parks.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby gudmund » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:21 pm

my neighbor who works for one of the National Parks confirmed this info to me last week when she got the info from the government for the changes in 2017. And guess who is missing out on this deal - her, she's 60 (and I just turned 62 in Feb this year)
gudmund
500 Club

Postby mustangcats » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:40 pm

I figured they (the government) would change the rules before I was eligible to get the lifetime pass. :x I must admit though that $10 for a lifetime pass was too cheap. $80 will still be a bargain.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:31 pm

QueticoBill wrote:Someone tell me quick before New Years if there is any reason my wife should have her own? I got mine a few years back.

She may still want to visit the national parks and she wouldn't be able to use your card if you go to " heavenly park with the pearly gates" before her.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby drhill » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:32 pm

For sure still a bargain at $80. In Canada an annual senior (65+) pass is $57.90 and is only good for 1 senior, not a car full. An annual family pass is $136.40

But come and enjoy our National Parks in 2017. In celebration of Canada's 150th anniversary admission at the National Parks is free in 2017.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby Esteban » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:57 pm

I was able to get a replacement Senior Pass today for $10 as expected. The Santa Maria, CA US Forest Service people were very friendly and helpful. It was $10 well spent. :D :)
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby JuneBug » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:16 am

Just used our Senior Pass yesterday as we drove home through Big Bend National Park from mountain biking at Big Bend Ranch State Park; it saved us $10. We got talked into getting a Senior Pass 7 or 8 years ago when we stayed at some park and it has come in handy at Forest Service and BLM campgrounds, too. It lives in the glove compartment so it is always there when we need it.
Last edited by JuneBug on Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby elcam84 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:54 am

No offense for those over 60 (I'm getting closer every day along with everyone else)...

This reminds me of a trip to Florida to LOMLs parents in Florida as they were snow birds. We went to Solomons castle. While in line there was a lady at the counter complaining to the ticket seller that they didn't have a senior discount. I just laughed. Look around the other half and I were the only ones in line that were under 65. If anyone should get a discount it should be us...

What I'm saying is that generally the patrons at parks are seniors and when the majority of your customers are getting a discount you have to increase the price for everyone else. There is no free lunch someone is paying for it.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:18 am

We have been seniors for sometime. There are many senior discounts for different things. I have always been a tad mystified "Why".

We were penny pinchers while we worked and raised our family. We also had a savings program. We now have more disposable, discretionary income than when we were in our 30's, 40's, 50's. We still watch what and where we spend but there is more cash in the bank these years than in previous decades. Yes, we do have one of the $10 lifetime passes, and we use it. I don't chase after every discount, but do use a few. We could do without. Just a discussion point to consider.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:03 am

I look at the senior discount as a form of respect. Most people have worked hard for 40 plus years and these discounts are a way of saying "you earned it and we appreciate you" . Can most people afford to pay more? I think yes. But why not allow a few perks along the way. I see discounts for kids at all kinds of places. Not sure why a kid gets in for less money, but they do. They take up a seat as well as Grandma does. :lol: Personally I looked forward to getting my pass last August. It's the only bargain I have ever gotten from the Government.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion