land line power connections ?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

land line power connections ?

Postby rustytoolss » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm always thinking ahead, trying to plot my plan of attack, to resolve future needs. Today I was thinking about my incoming pole power electric power cord connections. What are some of you guys using as connections for your camper to the power supply pole at the campsite ?
I was thinking of some type of permit socket mounted on the outside of the camper, that has some type of covering also.. Then connect a 50 foot extension cord to the power pole. But I could use some ideas of what to use for the permit mounted (on trailer) part on the system :?
Any input and :pictures: would be great. Thanks
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: land line power connections ?

Postby lrrowe » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby kayakdlk » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:15 pm

I only wanted a 15 AMP connection so I went with a ParkPower by Marinco 150BBI.RV RV On-Board Charger Inlet. You can find them on Amazon etc. for $20. https://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-Marinco-150BBI-RV-Charger-125-Volt/dp/B000NV0V8C White or black. They have a rubber type cover flap and screw into the side of the trailer (use a little RTV to seal) and you can plug an extension cord into it. I carry a 25' cord. I also have a Camco 55233 30 AMP Male / 15 AMP Female Electrical PowerGrip Adapter in case the campground only has 30 amp. So far everywhere I have gone and plugged in they have 15 amp plugs.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:24 pm

That 15A connector is what I used also. And you don't need a 50 ft extension. Camp sites aren't that big, and most of the time you'll be parked right next to the power tree. Get a high quality 25ft cord and you'll be in business.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby elcam84 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:27 pm

Well assuming you are only needing 110v to the camper you can do what I have done to several campers and work trailers etc. That is to get a 25' cord reel. Change the ends since it's backwards for our use. Then put the cord reel inside and have a small cover for the plug. Then just open the cover and pull the cord out till you have enough to plug in then when done just let it retract. No annoying storage of extension cords needed. Cords and hoses are a royal pain to store in trailers. Same can be done for water as well.

There are units made that will have the right connections and are weather tight. They are sold up in the frozen tundra to our north for mounting in engine compartments for powering oil and water heaters.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby troubleScottie » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:32 pm

You will need some sort of circuit breaker between the pole and your electrical equipment. Camp grounds are notorious for having poor electrical quality.

You could use as simple a solution as a power strip with breaker in it to a small electrical box with one or two circuit breakers eg load center to a power distribution panel (30A or 50A) with 6-12 AC breakers and many fused DC connections and battery charger. You can of course continue and be more exotic with power conditioners/cleaners and surge protectors.

A power tester (DIY or bought) is a good addition.

Also, you might consider a ground fault circuit interrupter (GCFI) for any AC outlets. They come as outlets, extension cords and other configurations. Remember you are basically using power outside in the rain in a puddle in bare feet. You are one step away from a problem.

A final thing is you might need an adapter or two. The posts generally have a 50A, a 30A, maybe 20A and two 15A outlets. Some do not have 50A outlets. Your power pole may or may not function for the particular extension cord eg the outlet is not working. The idea is to switch to the next lower available connector.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:16 pm

These look to be very good http://smartplug.com/

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:24 pm

On both my Goodtimes van and my '68 Scotty, I have a good quality, surge protected power strip as 100% of my electrical service.

On the van, the end of the cord just hangs down underneath the van through a hole in the floor that attaches to an extension cord. Everything stays plugged in and it is easily accessible for little stuff.

The Scotty connects through a home style outdoor electrical outlet box with the spring loaded door, when you open the door, you slide out the end of the power strip and attach to an extension cord. The inside section sits under the seat next to the fridge but I never need to access it since everything stays plugged in all the time: Fan, AC, heater, fridge, kitchen light and a small 3 foot extension cord that runs up behind the seat and sits on the counter top that I use to charge my cell phone, percolator and other small items.

My teardrop was the same way.

I've never needed more and always use a higher gauge cord going from the post to the camper.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:57 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:These look to be very good http://smartplug.com/

Kinda expensive though:

Amazon Linky

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:43 am

Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby booyah » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:53 am

Cant find the exact one I used but it was very simliar to this
https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-Connect- ... B000NI1BJ8

Pretty cheap at $14 and the one I have has been perfect for the use.

That and a 50ft cord that I've never needed all 50 ft.

I do like having the 50ft one though, cause if I am boondocked and running the generator I can put it farther away and on the other side of the car to further reduce the noise at my camp site.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:34 pm

I went with the Marinco 15A version, mainly because I didn't want to have to source 30A parts. You can find an extension cord about anywhere if you leave yours behind when your traveling, a 30A cord is harder to find. It also makes it a lot easier to plug in at home.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby yrock87 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:48 pm

I used the Marinco 15 amp exterior plug and like it. It installed easily with use of a hole saw and accepted 10 gauge wire (barley, but did). It is of decent quality and I don't expect it to fall apart on me.

The purchaser I got it from on amazon no longer offers it, but here is a link to the same part at the same price from somebody else.
https://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-Marinc ... 1THEWCHV1H
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby elcam84 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:17 pm

bdosborn wrote:
Shadow Catcher wrote:These look to be very good http://smartplug.com/

Kinda expensive though:

Amazon Linky

Bruce

Nice however if you loose it on the road you are screwed as its a proprietary non standard terminal. I see spares are pricey as well.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion