Routers

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Routers

Postby Hog Wild » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Which is better or more useful , Fixed Based or Plunge Router. :thinking:
Saw Dust and Wood Chips are as Close to Potpurri as I get...
Hog Wild
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Routers

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:52 pm

As a Cabinetmaker I have about 12 fixed base vs one plunge router.
The choice is your's but if you were to only have one, I'd go with the plunge.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Hog Wild » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:58 pm

Thanks Danny. :ok: I kinda thought that, but wasn't real sure. :oops:
Saw Dust and Wood Chips are as Close to Potpurri as I get...
Hog Wild
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:08 am

Porter Cable sells one with both bases. It was highly rated by several magazines when I purchased it probably 20 some years ago. I like having both, but use the fixed base much more than the plunge.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby booyah » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:30 pm

As does Bosch.

I suspect routers are kinda like potato chips though, you cant have just one.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:10 pm

A plunge base can be fixed but a fixed base can't plunge. I think you will find applications where you need to use a plunge router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Kelly'sTear » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:40 pm

I have a Bosch with both a plunge base and a fixed base. Love it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Kelly'sTear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby elcam84 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:45 pm

If you only have one make sure you get a plunge base. My favorite is the milwaukee. I also have several of the craftsman kits that have both and they are quite good tools especially for the price though the cord is hard pvc. I'm not a fan of the bosch one as the plunge base is sloppy and all their tools use different attachment sizes and are quite pricey.
The good thing is that plunge bases are much more popular than they used to be and priced better than many years ago.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:32 am

I have several fixed based and 1 plunge. I use the plunge more than the other combined. My go to is a Bosch.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby ssutton » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:19 am

Not a direct answer to your question but I use a Bosch 1617EVS router on my CNC table. It has over 2000 hours of HARD use on it. Most (90%) of what I cut on the CNC machine is aluminum. I have had to rebuild it with new bearings one time after I crashed the CNC and it slammed the spindle into a steel clamp that was holding the material in place. Other than that the thing is totally bullet proof.

-Scott
ssutton
Teardrop Advisor

Postby elcam84 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:33 pm

OK well I picked up the ridgid cordless router last night. Only one store here had a couple and while in there I found the last one on the clearance rack. Got it for less than the old ryobi sells for online actually. Will test it out today and see how it works. It's brushless and uses the same base as the corded one. Comes with a nice looking cast aluminum fence (corded came with a sheet metal one) and even has a 1/2x1/2 flush trim bit with it. Haven't seen a router bit with a router in a long time.

Ryobi has discontinued their old one which was really old as in it used to be sold in blue years ago... They just changed the color scheme so people would think it was new. But it is being replaced with a router similar to the ridgid and for $70 which is a good price.

Seems ryobi is dropping some of their older tools in favor of modified(slightly cheaper with less features) ridgid designs. I almost bought a ryobi kit online last month for just under $200 because it had the brad nailer in it which alone is $139. I still wouldn't use their drills and impact drivers but their other odd tools are decent and better priced to where I may be buying some in the future. This coming from one who isn't a ryobi fan...

elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby edgeau » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:28 pm

If you are new to routers a vital safety rule is go anti clockwise along the outside edge of a workpiece, clockwise on the inside e.g. a window edge. The tool is unstable and difficult to control otherwise. I learned that the hard way!

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby elcam84 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:38 pm

edgeau wrote:If you are new to routers a vital safety rule is go anti clockwise along the outside edge of a workpiece, clockwise on the inside e.g. a window edge. The tool is unstable and difficult to control otherwise. I learned that the hard way!

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Yeah its funny and scary watching people climb cut with a router when they aren't used to them. In certain situations and woods climb cutting will prevent chip out. When routing western red cedar it's best to climb cut as it splits like nothing else.

I have way too many routers now oh wait you can never have too many..

elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby booyah » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:16 am

I always heard it as the "rule of thumb" with the router. Like the pic below.
Make an L with your right hand finger and thumb, aim your thumb into the piece of work, and your finger points the way you should move the router.

My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby elcam84 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:12 am

That's where you start to get comfortable with it. Then you will be climb cutting end grain to prevent split out etc. And what parts to rout first. Over time you learn what works best. A climb cut will usually get you the best finish but it's only done when needed for obvious reasons.

Seems like every time I need to use a router I have to change bits in one that is set up for a specific job and I hate resetting bits. Hence why I have so many and looking at more...

elcam84
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion