What kind of glue?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

What kind of glue?

Postby les45 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:26 pm

I'm getting ready to start building the portable foamy type panels for my pop-up project. I need nine panels and each panel will be about 4'X4' more or less. My plan is to use 1X2 framing with 3/4" foam board sandwiched between two layers of 5mm poplar plywood. I would normally take a 1X4 and rip it to make my framing material but I've found that the raw wood can warp after it's been ripped. I can buy a primered finger joint 1X4 that does not warp. I plan to fasten the wood panels to the edge frame with glue and staples with the glue doing most of the work. My question is what kind of glue to use on a fairly slick primered surface. I don't expect regular wood glue will work but how about Liquid Nails or some other specialty type material? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
les45
500 Club

What kind of glue?

Postby lacustom » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:55 pm

I would use a construction adhesive. The wood glue will not penetrate into the wood.
I built my wall frames with 3/4 marine plywood and ripped them to the widths that I needed and pocket holed them togetherImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lou Piscitelli
If you can dream it ,we can build it!
lacustom
Teardrop Advisor

Re: What kind of glue?

Postby les45 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:28 pm

I may not have been clear in my original post. I will be using pocket screws to make the frames. The only place I plan to glue is where the plywood attaches to the 1X2 frame. It's not a big structural issue but I don't plan to use a lot of staples; just enough to pull the pieces together for the glue to take hold.
les45
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:20 pm

les45 wrote:I may not have been clear in my original post. I will be using pocket screws to make the frames. The only place I plan to glue is where the plywood attaches to the 1X2 frame. It's not a big structural issue but I don't plan to use a lot of staples; just enough to pull the pieces together for the glue to take hold.

If you've got a friend, use TB2 (and a couple of glue-filled filled cups and paintbrushes). Two are needed since you'll be working against the clock. Otherwise, PL Premium will work fine and give you the extra glue-pot time. (Buy them in the big tubes. Much cheaper).

If you use the TB2, don't be afraid to slather it on.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby earl84 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:15 am

I did a test with TB2 and PL Premium on 3 different surfaces that I would encounter. Wood-to-wood, wood-to-epoxy covered wood, and wood-to-foil backed close cell insulation. The TB2 and PL Premium worked very well on the wood-to-wood. PL Premium worked very well on the other 2, and the TB2 hardly worked at all, not terribly surprising.
So, what I am doing is any wood-to-wood gets TB2, everywhere else is PL Premium. Buy the big tubes, way cheaper. The TB2 is way cheaper than the PL Premium, so more savings to be had there, plus it is so much easier to spread than the PL Premium.
earl84
Donating Member

Postby elcam84 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Yup PVA will work just fine. Although I would probably go with PL premium or similar product due to the longer open time less drippage and it's more flexible than PVA which is a good thing on something mobile. Also PVA glue will soften when wet while pl premium will not.

I usually buy my PVA from my lumber supplier by the gallon and it will either have their name on the bottle or a generic name. PVA is PVA don't spend more on one brand vs another. I also buy yellow as it has a few slightly better properties than white but not much different.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby IndyTom » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:38 pm

+1 on the PL Premium, I use it for everything that doesn't take tb2.
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby les45 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:49 am

Well I made a decision and bought the primed finger groove lumber. After much thought, the panels will have very little weight on them and they will only be in use when we are actually camping. The load of the roof (about 200 lbs) will be taken by the 1X2 framework spread over about 17 lineal feet of side panels (the end panels take no load). The 5mm ply will serve primarily to keep the panels square and bind the foam board. The panels will store inside the shell when the roof is down. I plan to scuff up the slick primer before applying the adhesive. I'm going to start with regular Liquid Nails and see how the first panel does with that.
les45
500 Club

Postby OP827 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:46 am

les45 wrote:Well I made a decision and bought the primed finger groove lumber. After much thought, the panels will have very little weight on them and they will only be in use when we are actually camping. The load of the roof (about 200 lbs) will be taken by the 1X2 framework spread over about 17 lineal feet of side panels (the end panels take no load). The 5mm ply will serve primarily to keep the panels square and bind the foam board. The panels will store inside the shell when the roof is down. I plan to scuff up the slick primer before applying the adhesive. I'm going to start with regular Liquid Nails and see how the first panel does with that.

PL premium is good for xps foam while liquid nails may not, look up the product datasheet. For example, PL400 glue may look similar to pl premium, but it will dissolve xps foam.

Sent from my BV2000 using Tapatalk
OP827
Donating Member

Postby les45 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:14 pm

OP827 wrote:PL premium is good for xps foam while liquid nails may not, look up the product datasheet. For example, PL400 glue may look similar to pl premium, but it will dissolve xps foam.

I wasn't planning to glue the foam. I thought you just cut it tight to the inside of the frame to add strength. My plan is to glue the plywood paneling to the 1X2 wood frame and shoot a few staples to keep it all together. I'll also clamp the edges until the glue dries.
les45
500 Club

Postby OP827 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:32 pm

les45 wrote:
OP827 wrote:PL premium is good for xps foam while liquid nails may not, look up the product datasheet. For example, PL400 glue may look similar to pl premium, but it will dissolve xps foam.

I wasn't planning to glue the foam. I thought you just cut it tight to the inside of the frame to add strength. My plan is to glue the plywood paneling to the 1X2 wood frame and shoot a few staples to keep it all together. I'll also clamp the edges until the glue dries.

Yes, I understand that you plan to glue to wood only. I just sharing my experience here with foam glues. I also noticed that you are planning on using 1/4 ply wood for panel skin. You might feel that such panels might be quite heavy once you made them, did you try to lift 1/2" plywood sheet of the panel size to get a feel? Are these panels going to carry load? I found that 1/8 baltic birch ply is more than enough for wall panel skin, provided the foam under is glued to the ply. All the best with your build!
OP827
Donating Member

Postby les45 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:24 pm

OP827 wrote:
Yes, I understand that you plan to glue to wood only. I just sharing my experience here with foam glues. I also noticed that you are planning on using 1/4 ply wood for panel skin. You might feel that such panels might be quite heavy once you made them, did you try to lift 1/2" plywood sheet of the panel size to get a feel? Are these panels going to carry load? I found that 1/8 baltic birch ply is more than enough for wall panel skin, provided the foam under is glued to the ply. All the best with your build!

I'm actually using a 5 mm ply with 1X2 pine framing filled with 3/4" foam. My average size of the nine panels will be about 38"X48". I'm estimating the weight at 5 lbs each for the panels which is very light. The five side panels (and door) will bear the 200 lb weight of the roof (the sloping end panels will simply hang from the roof and lay against the sloping edge of the folding shelf).
les45
500 Club

Return to General Discussion