Rockwood makes a teardrop?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Rockwood makes a teardrop?

Postby kudzu » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:13 pm

It's the small one on the left in this picture. Rockwood G12RK http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=455&Image=23124&ModelID=3570#Main

The next size up seems aimed about potential TAB customers. Based on the build quality of their products I've seen, it's not a brand I recommend as a first choice. (Or second or third choice, for that matter.) Forest River has gotten more into A-frames in recent years & now they seem to be branching into more smaller TT's. As far as I can tell, this is the first year for anything like a teardrop. Does anyone know if that's correct?
kudzu
Donating Member

A whole line of "environmentally conscious" trailers in fact

Postby deoc4114 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:36 pm

On the one hand I'm glad to see more companies manufacturing in the small/tiny camper space - and this might make smaller campers more mainstream.

On the other hand- while these are small, only the teardrop is really light. The rest of the lineup is moderate to extremely heavy compared to many of the builds around here.

Some more specs and pricing for those who are interested:
http://www.camperoutlet.com/Hidden/RockwoodGeoProTrailers/tabid/28198/Default.aspx
deoc4114
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Rockwood makes a teardrop?

Postby kudzu » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:57 pm

You're right. The 14' Geo Pro, one size up from the teardrop size, is a foot shorter than a comparable TAB but weighs 300 lbs more. What I find more shocking is the tongue weight. The TAB is listed as 155 lbs. The Rockwood is 334 lbs. Holy cow! Better hope the water tank is in the rear & lots of folks may have to tow with a full tank just to balance it out.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby bushido41 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Hello Everyone,

The 12RK, looks very much like my little R-Vision Cassette. The main difference is that my cassette is wider, and the bed rest on a dinette frame. Visit my Gallery for some pictures of how my Cassette used to look. Unfortunately, got a water leak, and Im in the process of rebuilding the interior.
Attachments
pic.php.jpeg
pic.php.jpeg (15.6 KiB) Viewed 769 times
Ed
K4BQN
ImageImageImage
bushido41
Teardrop Master

Postby TheOtherSean » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:55 pm

On a size/weight ration basis, their r-pod line gets you more trailer at a lesser weight, and IMHO looks better too. The r-pod's are a bit closer to the lighter-weight conventional builds we see here - though I think still heavier than similar-sized foamies would be.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion