Incidental Damage after the fact ...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Incidental Damage after the fact ...

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:39 am

Please tell us your stories of trailer damages you’ve received on the road , and how you dealt with it ... not the trailer part , but the Cabins themselves... Damages from limbs , winds, accidental dents , dings , and scratches ... and how you dealt with it ... ?
We’ve heard a lot of speculation about outer Durability , but seen very few real damage assesments ... other than leaking and rot which seems to plague us all eventually ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Incidental Damage after the fact ...

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:33 am

It was not my trailer on the road but my tiny house on wheels. I had a dead fall branch spear the rubber roof. It is laid over 3/4 foam and 1/2 plywood so it did not penetrate but it did puncture the rubber membrane. I found that the spray rubber (Flexseal) works well as a replacement moisture barrier. Maybe a can in the trailer "First aid kit" might be handy.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby mustangcats » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:13 am

In 2013 I got caught in a hailstorm while driving in eastern Wyoming. What a terrifying experience... I pulled off the highway but was afraid the winds were going to blow me over. The front and driver's side of the trailer were dented. I have never replaced the siding since it is only cosmetic and doesn't really bother me.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:40 am

My all foam TD(all most no wood)is two years old and has around 12,000 mile on it. The only damage to the cabin is when I forgot to put the front pins in the 2'x5' tilt-able solar panel on the roof. It is mounted in front of the roof vent. As I got going at 60 mph the solar panel flipper back. Pounding hard on top of the vent. My first thought was that I had destroyed both the solar panel and the vent fan. When I flip the solar panel back both were ok(the roof had enough flex to save them) . But it did brake the 1" foam roof so that the roof sagged around the vent(did not leak). When I got home I reinforced the roof with tow metal closet bars 3/4" below the ceiling with spacer blocks holding the roof up. Now I have bars to hang up stuff. So all is good.
In my build I used 2" extruded polystyrene for the floor and 1" for the walls and roof. All panels were fiber reinforced plastic+1" foam+canvas, titebond II, paint. The only wood is the floor in the galley and in the window frames.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tac422 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:44 pm

The Big Pink Foamie.

A couple years old now, thousands of miles .....
no Damage :thumbsup:

tac422
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:25 pm

The insurance company paid for the repair. The final picture is of the man who did the repair.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:31 am

SC , OUCH !!! :o How did that happen ? ( if you don’t mind me asking ) NICE repair !!!

Tac ... Oh Yeah ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:33 am

I used to fix holiday trailers that had been written off in accidents.
Lots of work, but the funny one was we were doing just a couple minor repairs to my employers moms bumper tow holiday trailer. Our shop was at the top of a hill and we had it hooked up to a lifted f-250. The parking brake cable snapped during the night at the truck wasnt in gear. Next morning we found it had rolled down the hill and into the trees. Truck luckily missed the trees but the trailer caught one on the front corner and got smashed up so bad.... it was going pretty quick by the time it got to the bottom of the hill. That was an exensive free repair :/

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:45 pm

I was pulling off the road hit a bump and the coupler came off of the ball. It had not been adjusted by the manufacturer. I now have a bulldog hitch.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Lou.Catozzi » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:06 pm

This past Dec/Jan we went on a family trip from Texas to Grand Canyon for Christmas and San Diego for New Years pulling our 12 year old Fleetwood Caravan 25' travel travel. While maneuvering in the dark getting into a campsite I sideswiped a wooden post (picture a telephone pole but only 2' sticking out of the ground). Bent the front axle and damaged side trim and the wheel well. We had to leave the trailer in Arizona and come home with all our valuables in the Ford Expedition TV. The axle was replaced after 2 weeks waiting on parts and I just went back out and brought it home. Looking under the bench seat in the kitchen area there is a big hole to the outside (into the wheel well area) and gravel and dirt all thru the utilities area under the bunk on the drivers side from the damage to the wheel well liner which is the only thing separating the inside from the outside! Pictures of the damage and the repairs that start tonight coming soon.
Lou.Catozzi
Teardrop Builder

Postby Don L. » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:32 pm

I had a small mishap when I was backing up my foamie standie. I left the hatch up on my suv and I must have turned a little too sharp and the corner of the hatch made a 4" dent/tear in the front wall. No big deal though, especially since I had not finished the exterior paint, it was just primer.

My camper is close to the back of my suv and I can turn a really tight circle with no problem, as long as the hatch is closed!
I was kinda bummed but mostly glad to be out camping at a music festival, playing music with friends and having fun.
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion