Basic galley gear

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Basic galley gear

Postby lacustom » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:07 pm

What do most of you keep in your galley all of the time ? What do you add when you go besides food?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lou Piscitelli
If you can dream it ,we can build it!
lacustom
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Basic galley gear

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:35 pm

lacustom wrote:What do most of you keep in your galley all of the time ? What do you add when you go besides food?

:thinking:
Water. Always take some water. Several times I have gone to primitive campgrounds where there was supposed to be a water spigot but the spigot either didn't work, was locked, or the water wasn't potable. Of course, I always keep at least three days worth of food and potable water and a water filter set-up in the trailer for emergency bug-out needs. (That can also be used to extend a trip, should I decide to stay an extra day or so for some reason.)

A frying pan and a pot with a steamer/strainer insert are all nestled together. Silverware, plates, cups and bowls remain in the trailer in their specially built places. A spatula and a stirring/serving spoon and can opener and other miscellaneous things (box of matches and a lighter) reside in a lidded plastic box in the cupboard of the galley.

A spare blanket and a half gallon of potable water, small flashlights, a fold-up camp shovel, and a bottle jack are kept in the tow vehicle because you never know when or where you might be in need.

Bedding and spare towels stay in the trailer except when they are in the washer/dryer. Inexpensive plastic shower sandals stay in the trailer in case I am on a trip and have access to a shower. (Baby wipes are there for when there isn't a shower.) A change of clothes or at least some underwear & socks are always in the trailer, ready for use. (Clothes can change with the season; so, may or may not be there all the time.) Also, manual and battery-operated lights (flashlights), a small travel clock, and a small unit to inflate tires are all good to have. ...A set of spare batteries is a good idea, too. There is probably more; but, this is what I can think of off the top of my head. Hope this helps.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lacustom » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:14 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
lacustom wrote:What do most of you keep in your galley all of the time ? What do you add when you go besides food?

:thinking:
Water. Always take some water. Several times I have gone to primitive campgrounds where there was supposed to be a water spigot but the spigot either didn't work, was locked, or the water wasn't potable. Of course, I always keep at least three days worth of food and potable water and a water filter set-up in the trailer for emergency bug-out needs. (That can also be used to extend a trip, should I decide to stay an extra day or so for some reason.)

A frying pan and a pot with a steamer/strainer insert are all nestled together. Silverware, plates, cups and bowls remain in the trailer in their specially built places. A spatula and a stirring/serving spoon and can opener and other miscellaneous things (box of matches and a lighter) reside in a lidded plastic box in the cupboard of the galley.

A spare blanket and a half gallon of potable water, small flashlights, a fold-up camp shovel, and a bottle jack are kept in the tow vehicle because you never know when or where you might be in need.

Bedding and spare towels stay in the trailer except when they are in the washer/dryer. Inexpensive plastic shower sandals stay in the trailer in case I am on a trip and have access to a shower. (Baby wipes are there for when there isn't a shower.) A change of clothes or at least some underwear & socks are always in the trailer, ready for use. (Clothes can change with the season; so, may or may not be there all the time.) Also, manual and battery-operated lights (flashlights), a small travel clock, and a small unit to inflate tires are all good to have. ...A set of spare batteries is a good idea, too. There is probably more; but, this is what I can think of off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info , I'm trying not to take excess. Maybe a few large zip lock bags , plastic shopping bags for garbage.

Lou Piscitelli
lacustom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby booyah » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:23 am

For me everything I need I try to keep in the camper so its quicker and easier to go.

That means in the galley, I have a full serving set for 4 people (plates, cups bowl and silver wear) I have tongs, a cooking spoon, scrub brush, dish soap and a spatula.
I have a pot and a pan (Pot has a strainer lid). I keep the stove there, extra propane, and a lighter. A can opener, a bottle opener, coffee press with measuring cup, and a cooler.
A 2.5 gallon water container, some grocery bags (for garbage) and some gallon bags (to keep stored items separate).

In the cabin I keep towels, blankets, sheets and pillows. We have a tub that has sandals, flashlights, a battery lantern, and TP. I store the ez up canopy, chairs and bug house in the trailer when I'm not using it.
In the tongue box I keep a few basic tools a shovel and an extension cord.

Basically, I grab a bag with a change of clothes, toss some food and ice in, and hop in the car. If there is anything else I need, its in the camper.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:56 am

Thanks for the info , I'm trying not to take excess. Maybe a few large zip lock bags , plastic shopping bags for garbage

I thought that might be what you meant. If that's it, just take the basics that you took when you went tent camping, minus the tent.
(You have tent camped haven't you?)

For food, take freeze dried packets and eat out of those. Take your sleeping bag, a spork (a spoon and fork combo), a knife, a collapsible cup, and something to heat water in. But, always take some emergency water and maybe a water filter with you. That doesn't change.

A warning, though ...: It's best to take a couple canned meals in case you can't find or run out of water. ...Things like a can of chili, canned soup, etc.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:40 pm

This is my galley checklist for stuff left in the TD
Code: Select all
Silverware
Steak Knives
Cutting/paring Knives
Spatula
Serving Spoon
Tongs
Measuring Cups/Spoons
Can opener
Barbecue Tools
Plates, Bowls
Coffee Cups
Pots and Pans
Griddle
Coffee maker/French Press
Thermos
Stove
Propane & Spare
Matches/lighter
Dish towels
Dish Pans
Scrub Brushes
Sponge

These are my galley "consumables" that I check and refill before each trip
Code: Select all
Aluminum foil
Paper plates, towels, napkins ,
Dish soap
Trash Bags
Cooking oil
Creamer
Emergency meal
Coffee

Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby lacustom » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:15 pm

I appreciate all of the comments.
I've tent camped my whole life. My family is in the YMCA Indian Guides and we tent camp as a family. I definitely will keep things ready to go. It will be nice to just throw in some food and clothes without 4 bins of camping stuff.

Lou Piscitelli
lacustom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:36 am

I forgot a couple important things:

1) Always take a small notepad and pencil. Among other thing,s (like the ph# & names of people you meet & camped with) write down things that you wished you had with you. (Extra roll of TP? small axe? etc) Many people think of things while they are camping but forget by the time they get home.

2) Throughout the camping season, most of us tend to add things to our campers. At the end of the camping season or before the beginning of the next, (basically, at least once a year) go through everything that is in your teardrop and other camp boxes and eliminate anything unnecessary that you haven't used or don't want. If you're like most people, there will be a few things....

Oh! And one more!....: Don't forget to tell us about your first camping trip, with :pictures: added! Thanks, in advance.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby friz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:31 pm

Pretty much covers my needs.

Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby lacustom » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:24 pm

That's a great idea to take notes as you go. I will def post Picts , we are camping this weekend with Tearjerkers southern chapter at Tomoka STate park in Florida.
Friz is that a CLC trailer?

Lou Piscitelli
lacustom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby friz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:44 pm

lacustom wrote:That's a great idea to take notes as you go. I will def post Picts , we are camping this weekend with Tearjerkers southern chapter at Tomoka STate park in Florida.

Yes it is.

Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby lacustom » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:50 pm

They are pretty cool. A friend of mine is a boat builder and we have been tossing around some ideas similar to that.

Lou Piscitelli
lacustom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby booyah » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:22 am

lacustom wrote:That's a great idea to take notes as you go. I will def post Picts , we are camping this weekend with Tearjerkers southern chapter at Tomoka STate park in Florida.

The notebook idea is a very good one. I've done the same thing backpacking for years.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion