Go Anywhere, Camp Anywhere movement, experience, tips

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Go Anywhere, Camp Anywhere movement, experience, tips

Postby OP827 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:06 pm

I wanted to discuss this topic here for some time now. Most commercial trailers, tiny trailers, and home made CTCs have their amenities like toilets, water tanks etc. made more or less stationary "built-in".
Then if the trailer is not fully hooked up at the camp site or while "boon docking" then every once in a while the water tanks need to be replenished and waste tanks need to be emptied or dumped. So the trailer needs to be packed and hooked to a TV and moved to those places. The longer you stay the bigger tanks will be desirable so you do not need to move the trailer. That sounds counter productive to me and I thought that what if those tanks and things are made portable? So I am going to make potable water and grey water tanks removable, use porta-potty or compost toilet. The idea is far from new, that is how our grand grand parents lived, they carried the water in and waste out of their homes, so it makes sense when it comes to living small and especially on wheels. I suggest we share our ideas, experience and tricks here on how to make most of the tiny trailer space for all comforts of home and do it without huge fine of heavy tanks.

Here is the start:
Potable water is in portable tanks. I used 20-25L plastic "Aquatainers". I can take them out from the trailer, put them in my car or on some wheels and get them refilled.
Grey water tanks are also portable plastic containers. Same method as above for dumping into nearest toilet or station.
Portable toilet. There are many ideas already there.

Please share your view on these ideas and maybe share some pictures on what you have to be able to go anywhere and camp anywhere for a prolonged time in one place, not just one or two days and always at a served camp site.

Thanks.
OP827
Donating Member

Re: Go Anywhere, Camp Anywhere movement, experience, tips

Postby Padilen » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:38 pm

My set up is something similar. My CTC-has a water tank that isn't for potable. My potable is in portable containers. My grey waste drains into ground or in a bucket. I do have a 5 gallon black tank, but also a portable tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:05 pm

Padilen wrote:My set up is something similar. My CTC-has a water tank that isn't for potable. My potable is in portable containers. My grey waste drains into ground or in a bucket. I do have a 5 gallon black tank, but also a portable tank.

Thanks for sharing, so you have a separate stationary tank for things like dish wash and some shower then? Another question on black water portable tank, is that part of a cassette toilet or something else?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:15 pm

I focus on conserving water when boondocking. I plan the menu with that in mind before I go. I have a 9 gallon fresh water tank. I use that for washing dishes. If water is a big concern I may make an exception and use paper plates. I may use the sink or wash tubs depending on what is working best for the water I have. If I am trying to stay out as long as possible I use a hand “squeeze the trigger” sprayer for things like wetting dishes and washing hands and face. I use an environmentally friendly soap like Dr Bonners. I have a 6 gallon grey water tank but I usually drain grey water into the ground with a hose.

Drinking water is in Reliance type drinking water containers. This help me measure my water usage and I can transport and fill them without the trailer. If a stream is available I can treat the water and filter it before use.

If no bathrooms are available I use a shovel away from water sources. Pretty much the same rules as backpacking. If an area is very sensitive I will pack out solid human waste.

If you can tell I was there I have failed!

We have technology granddad, dad or me never dreamed could be possible. Solar is a stand out for long term sustainable off grid power generation I love that its quiet and odor free. LED lighting, portable refrigeration, entertainment, communication, digital photography, off road bicycles, folding kayaks and boats etc. are all available to augment the boots, candles and ice experience. I like both the Spartan style and and the luxury style of camping.

When it comes to go anywhere - I think of human powered travel. My boots, mountain bike or kayak/canoe. will get to places no motorized vehicle will ever get to. My longest backpacking trip was 8 days and my back pack was about 6000 cubic inches, It holds the tent, sleeping bag, foam pad, clothing, cookware, fuel, food, water containers, compass and maps etc. Pretty challenging for me but I love it. At departure time the pack weighed 55 pounds.

With Canoe and kayak camping I have done a week long trips but multiple weeks are possible with all the extra room.

No such limitations in the trailer. My longest trips (in the trailer) have only been 10 days off grid without restocking. Here in the North East water is usually not far away . I am setting up for longer duration trips soon. The fridge I selected can be used as a freezer which boosts the quality of food I will enjoy for a longer trip. A long trip can work just as well with other selections including dry goods, canned food and other options. I just want to test out what solar can actually do (for me). So far its pretty impressive I will report back later this summer. I like to backpack, mountain bike camp and kayak camp - The trailer Is bringing a wonderful level of comfort and luxury. Plus I can do all the other activities using the trailer as base camp.

Depending were I am I find having unlimited information at my fingertips a new twist. Its not a necessity. But sometimes it is pretty handy. How many drops of bleach are needed to sanitize the water tank or how close is the nearest restaurant, let me see the menu and read a few reviews of that restaurant. Is it safe to put these brightly colored mushrooms I just picked on my frozen Calamari? What is the phone number for the poison treatment center. Ha ha ha :)

-Cosmo
Last edited by Cosmo on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Padilen » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:06 pm

OP827 wrote:
Padilen wrote:My set up is something similar. My CTC-has a water tank that isn't for potable. My potable is in portable containers. My grey waste drains into ground or in a bucket. I do have a 5 gallon black tank, but also a portable tank.

Thanks for sharing, so you have a separate stationary tank for things like dish wash and some shower then? Another question on black water portable tank, is that part of a cassette toilet or something else?

Yes I have a water tank for showers and sink.
My black tank is a shower/toilet/tank combo. I don't seem to have a good pic of it. Image
My build is here
Its sort of mine!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... Ft%3D62418
I have tote along for extra capacity black water.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby booyah » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:40 am

So my teardrop has no tanks, I do have a small 2.5 gallon water container that I can fill up and bring around but thats it. For septic concerns I have a shovel ;)

Similar if I am back in no where, and I want water I have a gravity filter that will get me potable water around a gallon every few minutes. Just find a source, hang the "dirty" water bag, and put the output into my container. Other than that what else do you need?
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby Tiki TD » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:29 am

mostly off grid camping
a couple of 7 gallon aquatainers for water. I keep a water purifier in the backpack that goes with me all the time, just in case.
I've got a sturdier than a pop-up shower tent with a couple of solar bags and a black 5 gallon bucket with screw down lid for solar heating of water. use a battery operated pump with this for showering. everything but the shower tent fits in the bucket for storage.
grey water to the ground.
for the toilet, I've got a bucket, bag and seat setup if the area warrants it. if not then an e tool and toilet paper works great.
solar panel and a 100 ah battery for lighting. 1500w inverter if needed, but have never really needed it.
old Coleman stove and lantern for cooking and outdoor lighting .
ground fires in a pit and kept small.
I try and keep the impact to a minimum.
Mike
Tiki TD
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion