interior height average

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: interior height average

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:48 am

5 feet is really a nice height as you can sit upright in a normal folding chair, and still wear your hat ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:47 pm

GPW wrote:5 feet is really a nice height as you can sit upright in a normal folding chair, and still wear your hat ...

so true, I can also sit on the edge of my mattress. I am maxed out on my inside height using a HF trailer, if you still want to be able to store your camper in a garage with a 7ft door height.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby yrock87 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:32 pm

my 5x10 benroy is 48 inches high on the inside. I used a sheet of plywood for the inside ply of the wall, and 5x5 for the outside so that I could overhang the floor and ceiling with the outside ply. the 48inches feels plenty big inside. and my claustrophobic wife approves. we also have a pretty open feel inside because we have a baby bed shelf instead of cabinets above our feet. at 48inches, we can still reach the vent controls and lights on the roof.

One area where I wish I would have considered more is the overall height of the trailer. I ended up about 3-4 inches taller than our outback. not a huge issue but something I wish I would have considered when I was building.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby ibbowhunting » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:12 pm

yrock87 wrote:my 5x10 benroy is 48 inches high on the inside. I used a sheet of plywood for the inside ply of the wall, and 5x5 for the outside so that I could overhang the floor and ceiling with the outside ply. the 48inches feels plenty big inside. and my claustrophobic wife approves. we also have a pretty open feel inside because we have a baby bed shelf instead of cabinets above our feet. at 48inches, we can still reach the vent controls and lights on the roof.

One area where I wish I would have considered more is the overall height of the trailer. I ended up about 3-4 inches taller than our outback. not a huge issue but something I wish I would have considered when I was building.

what is the weight of your teardrop? how does your outback fair pulling it? 2.5? any mods to the outback to pull your tear?
ibbowhunting
Teardrop Advisor

Postby yrock87 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:41 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:
yrock87 wrote:my 5x10 benroy is 48 inches high on the inside. I used a sheet of plywood for the inside ply of the wall, and 5x5 for the outside so that I could overhang the floor and ceiling with the outside ply. the 48inches feels plenty big inside. and my claustrophobic wife approves. we also have a pretty open feel inside because we have a baby bed shelf instead of cabinets above our feet. at 48inches, we can still reach the vent controls and lights on the roof.

what is the weight of your teardrop? how does your outback fair pulling it? 2.5? any mods to the outback to pull your tear?

yes, I have at 2015 with the 2.5 and a factory class II tow hitch. the outback has a CVT transmission which I am cautiously optimistic about.

I haven't weighed the tear since it has been complete, but I estimated the shell at about 350 lbs and the trailer itself at about 300. add another 60 for the foam mattress and another 100 for the shelving I have installed (I plan to add more) and I am at about 800ish for the trailer. I think that is likely accurate, if a little conservative on the high side. We took the tear from Tacoma to San Fransico along the coast, then back up I-5 over the passes and she pulled like a dream behind the outback. I never once felt underpowered or like I was being pushed by the trailer. I could accelerate on mountain passes up to above the speed limit without concern of holding up traffic. My mileage suffered on the highway, I averaged 19 for the whole trip, opposed to the 24-25 I usually average when driving above 70 (the outback highway MPG sucks once you start to go fast)

No mods yet aside from the 7-way plug that allows me to trickle charge the battery and allow the ability to add brakes in the future. I don't need them yet, but if I decide to add goodies and get the weight above 1000-1100 lbs I will add the brakes just so I don't have to plan for longer stopping distances. As is the brakes were certainly adequate when towing the 800 lb trailer with, oh, call it 200 lbs of luggage and camping gear? with a mostly empty tow vehicle (two adults, a baby in carseat, a stroller and snacks, everything else was in the trailer)
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion