Help me pick a trailer

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Help me pick a trailer

Postby BlueStar643 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:17 am

Hey All

I was given an old pop up trailer that is 8x5.3 Then, I ran across a newer pop up trailer that is 11.5x6, this trailer still has the stands mounted on the trailer and in looking at it I am thinking of building the shell to 10ft and using the rest of the frame for a box with batteries and other needed stuff.

I am leaning toward the longer one, they are both free but I am looking for some other opinions. I will be using it mostly in parks (I get to stay free since I am a totally disabled NamVet ) and have to have power for my oxygen concentrator and CPAP machine. Hmm, I could mount those machines in the box too.

Anyway.. What say you guys?
BlueStar643
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Help me pick a trailer

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:47 am

I would first figure out what my finished trailer would be like. Which layout works best. If you camp alone a smaller trailer might be all you need. If you need to be able to stand up or want to sleep cross ways the larger frame allows for that. Also consider your tow vehicle's capacity . A wide taller trailer will create more drag. I agree with Slow. Get both trailers. Keep what you want, and sell off the rest.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:36 am

With the cost of solar panels now. You may be able to go off grid.
I run two Cpap's when camping off one battery. The battery without solar will last two+ days. With 2 foot by 5 foot solar panel I can go forever.
Being able to go off grid will open a lot more camping sites for you.
https://www.solarblvd.com/product_info. ... ts_id=2668
https://www.solarblvd.com/product_info. ... ts_id=2946
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BlueStar643 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Think the get em both will be the way to go. I forgot to mention that they have both been stripped. The 6X8 has a weird floor setup. the axle assembly (which is a stamped housing of some kind bolts thru the floor and into the frame. front of the floor fits into a slot so you have to unbolt the frame, the deckbolts and the axle to replace the flooring. The tongue is welded in on top of the flooring. Weird setup. I think it is another reason to Build a 6X10 shell and use the extra frame space for mounting propane tank and stuff.
BlueStar643
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion