Rear view camera

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Rear view camera

Postby CorgiShack » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:39 pm

This is something more often used on large rv's. However in our case with the trailer being 6' wide and the tow vehicle 4' wide where the mirrors mount. It is impractical to have mirrors wide enough to see behind the trailer. I installed a camera system 12 years ago to solve this problem. It worked but had its share of problems. lately the contrast adjustment has been unable to compensate ,so I just replaced the system with a new one. The monitor is larger and has much better color and resolution and I got the grid option for the camera which I hope will help with backing up.The first picture is the grid turned on, it tracks with the trailer.146813146814146815146816146817
CorgiShack
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Rear view camera

Postby pchast » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Interesting.... More information please.
:thinking:
Is this hard wired?
How Powered?
Signal strength if trailer to car?
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:32 pm

The cost of basic rear-view cameras has come down to the point that it doesn't make sense not to have one. Especially backing into a spot at night (assuming you have some type of back-up light available). That alone makes it worth the cost. Eliminating the over-the-road blind spot is icing on the cake.
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby CorgiShack » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:56 am

The previous system was a wireless version[different maker than current one] and I had problems with interference from power lines etc. I eventually connected the antennas together with a shielded cable. The new system[Tadi Brothers] is a hard wire system ,they also have wireless versions.The camera and monitor need a 12v supply. I powered the camera from the trailer battery and the monitor from the car, the charge controller in the trailer links both batteries when the car charging system reaches 13.5v.There are 2 switches in the trailer to power the camera and turn the grid on/off. There is sound available but I didn't add it, i did however add the grid option.Driving with this is like not having the trailer there.The camera has a convex lense so objects are closer than they appear :shock: so this is something to keep in mind. I can see the lanes on either side of the trailer a reasonable distance back with the mirrors.
CorgiShack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:06 am

I'd love to have one in my build, and have been shopping, nothing yet under $200. If anyone has links for specific cameras they like..... :D
Sure would like to find a good, cheap wireless camera so I could use my smartphone or iPad as the monitor in the car.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:35 pm

I picked up a Yada wireless back up camera using bluetooth from Costco on sale for about $100. The 12V for the camera is supplied by marker lights. I will add a sun shade. In our case the camera is mounted upside down, and so the monitor must be as well. The one problem is that I wish the camera were less wide angel.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:57 am

The grid system should definitely help. Wish mine had it. We added an aftermarket rearview camera to my van. Am very glad to have it but my camper rides high enough that we wish it had a camera as well. Will have to investigate your solution. It might be a good option for me.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby CorgiShack » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:06 am

The extreme convex images from these cameras are a problem. The first system was about 160 degrees and was useless for backing up because it was impossible to see where the trailer was actually pointed.The new system is about 120 degrees and the image is noticeably better.I am hoping that this along with the grid will make it much more useable. It will be a couple months before I get the trailer out to find how well it actually works.
CorgiShack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby drhill » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:48 pm

To Aguyfromohio, you could use a camera hooked up to an Arduino with WiFi sheild to act as an access point to connect your smart phone to as the screen. Easily under $100 but frustrating to program. The cheap real easy solution is to use an old smart phone as the camera. You can download a free app to use the camera in the phone and use the phone as a wireless access point and web server to stream the video to your smart phone in the vehicle. No cost if you have an old smartphone laying around.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby Aguyfromohio » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:37 am

drhill wrote:To Aguyfromohio, you could use a camera hooked up to an Arduino with WiFi sheild to act as an access point to connect your smart phone to as the screen. Easily under $100 but frustrating to program. The cheap real easy solution is to use an old smart phone as the camera. You can download a free app to use the camera in the phone and use the phone as a wireless access point and web server to stream the video to your smart phone in the vehicle. No cost if you have an old smartphone laying around.

Thanks drhill. I was late finding you comment but do thank you for it.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby CorgiShack » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:49 pm

We just returned from a trip to Utah. The new camera / monitor are much better than the first setup. The grid is awesome for backing up, the side lines are about 30" wider than the trailer and I can put the drivers side one on the edge of the campsite or the pedestal with the hookups.It is easy to see when the trailer starts to become crooked.
CorgiShack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SSTear » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:09 am

Interesting....Seems like these backup cameras are getting better and better everyday.
SSTear
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dan242 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:43 pm

i wasn't planning on getting one till I saw how cheap and easy they are

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019G ... UTF8&psc=1

Put in the the rear top of the trailer, no real world experience yet, but I liked what I saw when I powered it up and sat in my car and looked at the moniotr. it's a tool, i will still use my mirrors and other means, but it may save me from an Oopsie some day.
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby pohukai » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:08 am

If you have 2 phones (like mine and my wife's), you can use a free Zapya app. Place one phone on the bumper with a clamp to capture the backup video and via bluetooth, transmit to the video to the driver's phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrCiHGRPU0w

I haven't tried it yet, but will on my next camping trip.
pohukai
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:23 am

Dan242 wrote:i wasn't planning on getting one till I saw how cheap and easy they are
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019G ... UTF8&psc=1
Put in the the rear top of the trailer, no real world experience yet, but I liked what I saw when I powered it up and sat in my car and looked at the monitor. it's a tool, i will still use my mirrors and other means, but it may save me from an Oopsie some day.

$20 for the camera and it comes with a hole saw for the installation! Sounds too good to be true. I'd be interested to hear more about your longer term review, thanks.

The GPS unit I bought last year has back up camera compatibility, so anyone who is interested in these should check to see if their GPS is compatible. You might not have to buy a separate monitor.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion