12 volt ground wiring

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

12 volt ground wiring

Postby rustytoolss » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Let me say first off that I got my wiring panel from a RV. The RV had a 12V ground terminal ,and for "Every" 12volt light/circuit had a ground wire that was connected to this ground terminal. And most every hot wire had it's own fuse in the panel.
Do you guys think running all of the 12 volt grounds back to a grounding terminal is really needed ? Or would you see a problem in connecting several ground wires together ,, then running one larger ground wire back to the grounding terminal ?
And for that matter, running several power wire together also ? Automotive systems often connect several items together on the same ground /and or power wire.
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: 12 volt ground wiring

Postby yrock87 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:32 pm

you can run a single (or trunk) ground if you prefer. you just need to ensure that the wire is of sufficient size to handle the total possible load running through it. it is no different than using the frame as "ground" and attaching all negatives to the frame, then wiring the frame to the ground terminal.

if you have 2x 10 amp circuits, and 5x 5 amp circuits, your ground wire needs to be able to handle 45 amps minimum.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby troubleScottie » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:31 am

I think the alternative is a questionable ie using the frame. Unlike an auto, which has a large metal frame welded together in numerous spots, many TD trailers are not electrically connected. Using screws, and painted parts, one cannot guarantee that there is a good connection from anywhere to some where else.

An actual ground wire ensures the connection. Given the cost of wire versus the time/cost to track down a open ground, it is solution is apparent.

Again, the same can be said for doing separate home runs eg two wires all the way to the device. Less likely to fail. Again, wire is cheap.
Last edited by troubleScottie on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby les45 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:30 am

I have used dedicated ground wires in both of my builds. I use terminal blocks to distribute the various wires, including the grounds, to the front and rear light fixtures. A single ground wire runs from the front terminal block to the rear terminal block where it splits to each of the rear lights. From each terminal block I will run one ground wire to the farthest fixture and then splice into that wire for each of the intermediate fixtures. This pic is the wiring for my running lights on my latest project but I do the same for my other DC requirements (internal lighting, fan, charging outlets, etc.)

les45
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Do you guys think running all of the 12 volt grounds back to a grounding terminal is really needed?

I'm convinced it not necessary, but if your one ground fails, everything fails and figuring out where to locate a central ground bar for a system that stretches from the front interior to your galley may be a challenge.

I find it quite easy and simple to wire a teardrop using a two-wire red/black 16GA cable from a marine fuse block that has a negative ground block on it to your consumers (lights etc).

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion