Tow speed

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Tow speed

Postby Scomi21 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:54 pm

Just curious to see what speeds people tow their trailers at. Please indicate if you have a TD vs CTC.

Highways in Wisconsin are 65-70 and I'm planning on towing at 55-60 personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scomi21
Teardrop Builder

Re: Tow speed

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:23 am

I tow my teardrop around 65.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:05 am

Woodbutcher wrote:I tow my teardrop around 65.

+1 for TD & 65 mph.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:49 am

Scomi21 wrote:Just curious to see what speeds people tow their trailers at. Please indicate if you have a TD vs CTC.

• I just checked your posts to see what size tires/wheels your EZ Hauler comes with: 15". With that size wheel (indicating larger, cooler-running bearings), you should have no problem, if trailer balance is correct, at 65-70 mph. Of course, you will save gas and heat your tires and bearings less at the lower speed, but it shouldn't be worrisome to drive the limit. I have a lead foot, and just can't drive 55 (apologies to Sammy Hagar). Nor 65, which I find to be the lower limit to drive, being constantly leap-frogged by semi's here in Texas. The normal, open highway speed is 75 mph here, now. And most everyone goes 75, with or without trailer (trailers used to be limited to 55-no one I know got ticketed for exceeding that speed-they always exceeded it).
  • Pulling my 1700+ lb trailer behind my 2500 HD Chevy pickup at any speed really doesn't "noticeably" affect my gas mileage, so I just go with the flow of traffic. If I am not in traffic, I sometimes reduce my speed to 70 (I get about 1-2 mpg better there, up from 12-13 at best, in traffic at 75). Travel at what speed you're comfortable at.
  • P.S. on my last long trip, I busted the belts of at least two truck tires, over a large pothole at 75 mph; I was unable to go faster after that, but I also felt if I went slower than 50-55 mph, I was a moving target for aggressive semis constantly overtaking me. I maintained 50-55 mph for 125-150 miles home (I had reasons to get home that night, and wasn't quite sure, yet, that the problem I was having wasn't a bent axle shaft, so I only made frequent stops to check any more problems cropping up). It was only the truck tires, the trailer survived unscathed.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby deleted » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:08 am

I prefer going slow vs fast so choose to go the truck speed on most highways. In CA if you tow anything you are limited to 55. Crossing over to MI you see a wide range of speeds. Here in MI you can legally tow at 70 mph (same as cars) on highways of that speed. I don't like going that fast in my car let alone towing my trailer. Plus I think I get the best mpg at 55.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nobody » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:18 am

We generally tow our TD at 55-60mph. It follows our Tacoma p/u like a 'puppydog' at that speed. A few years ago we made a 'flying' trip (10 days or less) to Riverside, CA to visit wife's brother, & took the TD along. We drove I-40 west (stopping near Flagstaff, AZ to visit family) & I-10 east to the El Paso, TX area, then NE to DFW & on back to Arkansas on I-30 from there. Drove pretty much the speed limit or near it on that trip & had no untoward events either direction. It seems we've enjoyed better performance from the Harbor Freight 1800# trailer that I built our TD on than many folks on this forum. We've had no problems with either the trailer chassis or the 12" wheels (except when I failed to perform proper maintenance on the bearings after driving thru flooded streets in Hobbs, Carlsbad, & Artesia, NM in 2011 :shock: ). I do have a crack in a weld (factory) on the 'tilt' mechanism (that I noticed last year) which I intend to repair before the TD goes on the road again. The tilt mechanism is permanently disabled with half inch, grade 5 bolts & the cracked weld should be an easy fix... :thumbsup: I suspect the crack may have happened when I was rear ended Labor Day weekend of 2010. If so the TD has been towed probably 10K miles since then with no ill effects. I'll still repair the cracked weld bead before using it again, just because I feel uncomfortable with it since I discovered it.
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:21 am

I'm with Nobody on this. I try to tow at 55-60. Fortunately, we're seldom on an interstate. Much better mileage at those speeds, it's safer and heck, why should one be in a hurry on a camping trip?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby CorgiShack » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:34 am

We tow at 65up to 70mph when the road conditions are good with our ttt. It has 13" wheels ,the bearings have been upgraded to Timken brand and are cleaned ,inspected and packed yearly. The dual speed limit in California is probably the most dangerous situation I have encountered anywhere. :shock:
CorgiShack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mustangcats » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:30 pm

I try not to go faster than 60, towing my TTT with 15" tires. I also avoid the interstates as much as possible, that way I never feel pressured to go faster. Take the back roads and slow down...there is so much to see along the way. :D
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:36 pm

every state can be different on their towing speeds and limits - example: in California they are very adamant with all of their posted speed limits signs - trailers "55 mph", I usually run 55 to 60 mph so the teardrop "looky lou's" get a chance to take a look see as they cruse by at 70+ or so. A lot of times I just find a semi crusing at comfortable speed and I just hide behind them. :D
gudmund
500 Club

Postby friz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Yeah.......this may be a problem for my type A wife.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:20 pm

friz wrote:Yeah.......this may be a problem for my type A wife.

I usually stay below 65. One way I trick myself to be patient by mentally starting the vacation when we leave the house. No need to rush. Just enjoy sitting next to your wife. No need to rush

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:26 pm

The enjoyable part of the trip is the journey , getting away from the house and responsibilities , out on the open road , fresh air , wind in your face ...exotic roadside attractions ( world’s largest Popcorn ball) , seeing and experiencing new things ... Once you get to the campground the real work starts so your family can “relax” ... :roll: We never tow anything over 55 MAX, usually slower ... Like to take it all in ... relaxing, enjoyable ... If you must worry , put an orange triangle on the back of your trailer to tell the racing world that you’re a slow moving vehicle ... ( note : you don't always have to drive it Slow eh ) ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:57 pm

I drive to not break the law or piss others off. If the limit is 100 ill do 105 if everyone else is doing 110km/hr which is usually the case. Highways with more than 1 lane going one direction arent worth taking while camping. Nothing to see. And i dont want a lineup of 20 irritated people behind me.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Scomi21 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:06 pm

working on it wrote:
Scomi21 wrote:Just curious to see what speeds people tow their trailers at. Please indicate if you have a TD vs CTC.

• I just checked your posts to see what size tires/wheels your EZ Hauler comes with: 15". With that size wheel (indicating larger, cooler-running bearings), you should have no problem, if trailer balance is correct, at 65-70 mph. Of course, you will save gas and heat your tires and bearings less at the lower speed, but it shouldn't be worrisome to drive the limit. I have a lead foot, and just can't drive 55 (apologies to Sammy Hagar). Nor 65, which I find to be the lower limit to drive, being constantly leap-frogged by semi's here in Texas. The normal, open highway speed is 75 mph here, now. And most everyone goes 75, with or without trailer (trailers used to be limited to 55-no one I know got ticketed for exceeding that speed-they always exceeded it).
  • Pulling my 1700+ lb trailer behind my 2500 HD Chevy pickup at any speed really doesn't "noticeably" affect my gas mileage, so I just go with the flow of traffic. If I am not in traffic, I sometimes reduce my speed to 70 (I get about 1-2 mpg better there, up from 12-13 at best, in traffic at 75). Travel at what speed you're comfortable at.
  • P.S. on my last long trip, I busted the belts of at least two truck tires, over a large pothole at 75 mph; I was unable to go faster after that, but I also felt if I went slower than 50-55 mph, I was a moving target for aggressive semis constantly overtaking me. I maintained 50-55 mph for 125-150 miles home (I had reasons to get home that night, and wasn't quite sure, yet, that the problem I was having wasn't a bent axle shaft, so I only made frequent stops to check any more problems cropping up). It was only the truck tires, the trailer survived unscathed.

Your assumptions are accurate regarding my trailer. My plan is to go 55-65 depending on traffic flow/time as it's easier on my tow vehicle and potentially just spend a little time mapping out non interstate routes if it isn't a huge time difference. Otherwise I'll be in the right lane and let the world fly by as they like to go 80-85 on the interstate around here as they look to escape Chicago and get up to their Wisconsin cabin.

Scomi21
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to General Discussion