Harbor Freight class action lawsuit

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Harbor Freight class action lawsuit

Postby Graniterich » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:20 am

http://www.classactionrebates.com/settl ... r-freight/

Bottom line is if you have proof of purchases​, you can get ten percent of everything you spent cash, or twelve percent in a gift card. There are other options as well. I have built ten plus td on HF trailers, and credit card statements to prove. Show me some cash!
Graniterich
Donating Member

Re: Harbor Freight class action lawsuit

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:21 pm

I got the email on that too. In many cases I will be the first to jump on a class action suit, IF the thing the company did was negligent and caused potential harm or was a product defect. In this case though, HF was providing a "sale" price vs a "regular price", when in many cases the sale/regular price really weren't. I don't consider that lawsuit material, I consider it buyer beware. If I want something, I do try to look for the best deal, but if I buy a product and the next month it is cheaper, well such is life. Should I refund money for say my trailer frame because when I got it you could use a 20% off coupon and now you cannot. I got it for a lot less than you can get it now. I won. With my welder I think I paid about $10 more than you can now get it for, big deal.

just my humble opinion

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:15 pm

The sale price vs "regular" price was the issue. The claim of the suite was that sale items never sold at the claimed regular price. That makes the "sale" price become the regular price by default. It is the same as when a department store artificially inflates the price of items before "marking them down" for a sale. or those furniture stores that had 10 year long "Going out of business" sales.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby elcam84 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:34 am

That's how the My pillow guy runs his business and he lost his BBB accreditation, big deal like anyone thinks the BBB means anything anymore...

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby mustangcats » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:55 am

Just another example of "ambulance chasing lawyers". A wise consumer will check around for pricing before they make a big purchase. The net price of the item is what really matters, not what the original price was (or wasn't). This class action suit appears to be in the initial phase and I doubt it will go very far. Most class action lawsuits are frivolous and the only winners are the lawyers.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby elcam84 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:22 am

True. I buy allot of consumables and lesser used tools there and I know what stuff typically sells for. I don't like their ads now that show the fake compares to prices though.

But customers need to be smart and I don't feel bad for those that don't do their reseaech. I remember back when Syms was in business... Their ad was something like an informed customer is our best customer. Business are there to make money just like everyone else and the better they are at that job the more money they make just like everyone else and everyone uses the tools at their disposal to make more money.

elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:53 am

Lawsuits like that does not help the consumer. It just makes things cost more. Whatever happened to buyer be where ? What moron would ever think that the compare price is real?
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gizmotron » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:20 pm

I can't complain. I've seen the $499, #1875, not on sale for months. When it did drop to $350 I got it in Oregon with the 20% off coupon and no sales tax. It's a great trailer. It only weighs about 280 lbs. I paid about a dollar a pound. (now the jokes will fly)
gizmotron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby elcam84 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:56 pm

KennethW wrote:Lawsuits like that does not help the consumer. It just makes things cost more. Whatever happened to buyer be where ? What moron would ever think that the compare price is real?

True we as customers will be paying for a frivolous lawsuit in the form of higher prices. If you don't like the price of something don't buy it if you think it's a good price buy it. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything well other than the govt but that's a different subject for another time and place.

However many of harbor freights prices have gone up quite a bit in the last year or two. A sign of those items being a popular seller.

Robert

elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby DWT77 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:06 pm

I think it stems from this type of lawsuit. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/j-c-penney- ... e-lawsuit/
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby elcam84 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:41 pm

It sure was settled quickly though I don't see any wrong doing by HF. If you bought any of the items advertised with "compares to" you are eligible for a 10% refund. I know I don't have any of those reciepts... But they don't owe me anything as I can understand English and understood what their ads said. Didn't like their style but that's another case.

elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby wagondude » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:54 pm

Just received another flier the other day. They haven't changed the way they are advertising anything.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby elcam84 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:23 am

wagondude wrote:Just received another flier the other day. They haven't changed the way they are advertising anything.

Yeah they are still doing the same thing however they admitted no wrong doing in the settlement so that allows them to keep doing it. But i still dont have a problem with it, i dont like it but there is nothing wrong with them doing it.

And no i wont be trying to get my refund from them on the stuff I bought.

elcam84
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion