To prevent teardrop thefts

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: To prevent teardrop thefts

Postby lrrowe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:22 am

But don't they have a "sloppy" or "loose" fit?
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:58 am

When Grant was building teardrops, he offered removable tongues. If I recall he had a hitch receiver welded half-way up the tongue that the rest of the tongue would slide in. I always thought that was a good idea for theft-prone areas.

I found this photo...

I haven't messed with pintle hitches for decades, but couldn't a thief drop a pintle hitch loop over a 2" ball and take off without caring if it popped off?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Trebor English » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:43 am

A crossed over safety chain is enough to tow a trailer. A 2" ball and coupler makes it much less noisy and saves a ton of wear and tear on the license plate. If there are wheels and a tongue the thief can bring the chain and drive off.
Trebor English
Gold Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:09 pm

I live under the assumption that a determined & resourceful thief WILL steal your rig if he wants it bad enough. I therefore use a locking pin for my ball mount, and a simple 'pin lock' for the coupler (both while traveling & in camp). Our doors are always locked when we're in camp but not at the camper. Otherwise I take my chances.

I've owned/used a couple of large equipment trailers that were equipped with a pintle rings & they worked well. Only trouble was I always had trouble remembering where I'd put the 'stinger' with the other end of the pintle welded on...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:51 am

My removable hitch with tongue attached, goes into my car trunk, out of sight and out of mind. No sweat, works great.
:R Roly
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby friz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:46 pm

My plan is to use an adjustable jack stand with a ball welded to it for tongue support when not attached to the TV, locking the hitch to the stand as i would the TV. I also plan to lock a wheel to the trailer frame with a cable lock, and if all that fails, a satellite tracking device will alert me by text when the camper moves. I hope this is enough, as my trailer will be left in campgrounds while we enjoy the area by car or bike.

Friz
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Cathy P. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:22 pm

After someone moved our pop-up (2,000 lbs) from our front yard while we were sleeping, we bought the "TrailerKeeper". We have it for years and used on a pop-up and a TT. When they took the pop-up, it had the expensive kind of hitchlock on it. Saw a flatbed casing the rural area but not being from that area, I really didn't think anything of it. This was in southern AZ, you could see the dig marks on the ground and to the street where I am sure they loaded it on a flatbed.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion