Best Velcro tape?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Best Velcro tape?

Postby les45 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:01 pm

I'm ready to build my corner covers for my pop-up project. The foamy wall panels are all in place but I have to cover the small gap on each corner. My plan is to use white marine vinyl with Velcro tape (see concept pic below). One side of the tape will be sewed onto the vinyl and the other will be fastened to the edge of the adjacent wall panels using the adhesive backing. The wall panels are painted with Rustoleum oil based enamel. Does anyone have any experience with Velcro tape, especially with respect to holding power of the adhesive backing?

les45
500 Club

Re: Best Velcro tape?

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:23 pm

There are hundreds of variations of Velcro used in industry, from feather light grip up to stuff made of hard plastic that's almost impossible to take apart.
Same with the backer ( fabric, plastic...) and backer adhesives, including no-adhesive sew-on.

I'd start by searching for "hook and loop" at ULine, Grainger, and McMaster Carr.
here's a link to one that looks like our normal household velcro but claims super string adhesive

https://www.mcmaster.com/#hook-and-loop ... s/=16xveed
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Re: Best Velcro tape?

Postby Cathy P. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Also, with the sticky, if it turns out to be older, it doesn't do as good of job in holding. There are definitely different "qualities" of velcro. The last we got was termed "For Industrial Use" and worked well on the pop-up. The one we used before that just came right off. We got the good one at a "farm" store, but can't remember the brand. I will post the brand when we shop there again.

***Velcro, Industrial Strength
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion