Bug out in a TD?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Bug out in a TD?

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:22 am

My Dad always considered his RV as his "earthquake" prep kit. I know he had to use it to evacuate in the 2007 wildfires here in San Diego. I try and keep me TD ready to act as back up in a power outage or evacuation. Has anyone had to evacuate in a TD, or use it to help you shelter in place? What was the situation? Any advice for the rest of us? What would you do different? What worked well?
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Re: Bug out in a TD?

Postby CamperDave » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:18 am

I can see using my TT in an emergency... Ummm, even though it hasn't been built yet....
I did have a toyhauler I used after 2 hurricanes knocked out power for a week each. Used my little generator to pump pool water into the trailers holding tanks, we got running water (hot and cold), cooking and lights. Felt a lot better to be camping in the yard then living in a dark house.
CamperDave
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bill n Robi » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:08 am

Living in earthquake and fire prone area, yep I take care to prep after each camping trip. Only thing I haven't done is do a 'test', I need to see how fast I can get everything loaded, hooked up, and go. I probably need to make a different check list than my regular camping one so I know everything is loaded. We survived the Loma-Preita quake in NorCal with our camping gear - we were going to go the next weekend so everything had just been checked out - kept us for 3 days without power. Never forgot that lesson.

Refresh the dog food, any medical supplies used, refill propane, flush water tank and refill, check battery levels after each trip. Basically everything I do before a trip anyway. Once a month, do it all over again if we haven't gone off somewhere. We keep all our medications in one lock box in the house to grab, one locked gun case and ammo box are always ready. Since I can a lot of things, I store them back in the jar box, I keep a variety so I can grab one box for a camping trip, in an emergency I probably have a months worth of food, fill the ice chest and the TD frig and off we could go. Generator is always mounted, runs on propane so I don't need to worry about gas. Probably worse part would be getting the cat and his stuff together.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby working on it » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:15 am

• At my age, I don't fear the Zombie Apocalypse or the Mayan or Y2K..., but it never hurts to prepare anyway, for the younger wife, or outside family members (including my dogs!). My TTT and truck are in semi-readiness for short-term evacs, and the back-up (my wife's 1500 GMC and 20-ft trailer, can be made so in a matter of an hour (loading more food, more fuel, second generator, extra "tools", and of course-our 8 dogs). Our house is semi-rural, with two homes of good friends/neighbors next door, that I can count on for anything (come what may), and we're not subject to flooding (on top of a hill), so I don't expect to have to flee for ordinary reasons, either.
  • My wife's family has a semi-ranch/family compound 40 miles away, that we could go to, just in case. Four generations living in three homes around a central yard, with a large barn that could house our trailers after a move. Wells, surface tanks, supplies, and manpower. I have no worries there. And there are plenty of defensive tools, as well. There is a reciprocal deal attached; the family compound is in the windshadow of a nuclear plant, so in the case of that emergency, we'll make room here, for them, even the horses! It'll be more cramped, but short-term, OK, until better arrangements are made.
  • As I said before, my truck and TTT are are in semi-readiness, always, and I carry a 40 lb go-bag and some "tools" with me, even when shopping in town, driving my van. If I am caught away from home, in an emergency, I will have some resources to use. But, at my age, and limited strength (compared to better days), I'll not expect miracles; if the worst scenarios ever happen, if I'm devoid of a support team, then I'll make the best of it, for a short time, at least, and try to make it home.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:03 pm

I'm not concerned about the Zombie apocalypse, but FEMA recommends being able to take care of yourself for at least 3 days. After watching what happened with Katrina, I think that is a good idea, plus I was a boy scout and the "Be Prepared" motto stuck with me.

I've prepared a folder with the FEMA checklists, and I prepared as recommended for the most part.
In So Cal, the most likely scenario is a power outage of some sort that requires shelter in place or a fire of some sort that may require evacuation ( or if you aren't in the evac zone you probably need to stay home).
If we do have to evacuate, the TD and the food supplies we have can cover us until the road are clear enough to get to one of the family areas we've got. My parents have an acre about 40 miles away with a well, septic and an RV with a generator as well as grid tied solar I'm working out how to hack if needed.
My brother has a place about 60 miles away that was built as a y2K house by the original owner. Completely off the grid with solar, diesel generator and 7 acres of trees.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:05 am

Our trailer building experiences are Only for purposes of EVAC or Bugout !!! During Katrina, after living with friends 5 weeks away from home , we saw the only people who had a near normal experience were ones with trailers, or campers of some sort ...
With so many “weather extremes” happening now , we’re glad we are prepared... !!! ;) :thumbsup: Thanks to Big Mike for providing this site and this much needed information .
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion