speaking of bugging-out; where's Expedition Portal gone?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

speaking of bugging-out; where's Expedition Portal gone?

Postby working on it » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:23 am

I can't log into Expedition Portal for almost twenty-four hours, now. Has the entire site bugged-out? I know a lot of members here are also members there, so does anyone know what's happening, or is it only my connection gone bad?
Last edited by working on it on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: speaking of bugging-out; where's Exploration Portal gone

Postby lrrowe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:27 am

If this is it, it is there for me as of momemts ago.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:02 pm

lrrowe wrote:If this is it, it is there for me as of moments ago.

I continue to try all links on the Google search page, as well as my pinned link, to no avail. I get this screen
Google error message, cache link.PNG
Google error message, cache link.PNG (16.85 KiB) Viewed 692 times
or this one, when I let Google direct me, which brings up no connection to the usual forum.
Expo connection-Overland Journal.PNG
Expo connection-Overland Journal.PNG (347.84 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Even Google's cached link, which pulls up a cached copy of the forum index page/login screen, won't let me log in.
cached copy of forum index page.PNG
cached copy of forum index page.PNG (146.15 KiB) Viewed 692 times
I guess I've been excluded, somehow, since every other website else I go to, works just fine. P.S. I've even tried turning off my ad-blocker, and even using the "text-only" link, but they still give me the same error message.
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:13 pm

working on it wrote:
lrrowe wrote:If this is it, it is there for me as of moments ago.

.... I guess I've been excluded, somehow, since every other website else I go to, works just fine. P.S. I've even tried turning off my ad-blocker, and even using the "text-only" link, but they still give me the same error message.
Just tried thru my Tapatalk account...I still can't get in to Expedition Portal; all other links work. The site MUST be down. I also used Windows troubleshooter, and Chrome's tools, even going incognito, and disabling extensions...can't think of a next step.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: speaking of bugging-out; where's Expedition Portal gone?

Postby aggie79 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:23 pm

Haven't been on there in a long time, but it worked for me a couple of minutes ago.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby fotooutdoors » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:46 pm

My guess is that they changed their server IP address and your DNS (domain name server; it translates between a numeric IP address and the website domain) hasn't updated yet. Option 1 would be to Google "change DNS" along with your operating system, and you should be able to make your computer to use a different DNS; you can use "8.8.8.8" (without the quotes-that is Google's public DNS). For example, this webpage shows how to do it on Windows 10 http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how ... windows-10

ETA: If you just wait a day or two, you should be back in business regardless, as your default DNS should update
fotooutdoors
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:48 pm

2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:38 pm

bdosborn wrote:They're up:

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/forum.expeditionportal.com.html

Bruce
But not for me. I changed my DNS address to 8.8.8.8 to no avail; tried using Bing, YAHOO, Firefox, and IE, same results. Back to Chrome and did a full reset, nothing. Using my Android Tapatalk app, nothing. I just now was able to get to their website on my tablet, then when I tried to log in, it asked me to register, stalled for ten minutes, and gave me the first error message above. Now, it can't connect to the server at all. I'm starting to think it's my infernal AT&T U-verse and router, that chooses to go in and out of service whenever my neighbors use their computers. It also screws up my Roku so much, that I just about watch radio now! I give up, I really miss my work network, despite the IT screw-ups. At least, I could get someone to fix it.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby AzAv8r » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:09 pm

Been (and still is) working fine for me. I check it at least daily, and have not noticed an outage.
AzAv8r
Teardrop Builder

Postby working on it » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:57 pm

• I've spent the best part of two days trying to figure out what's amiss with my Expo connection. I'm not very good at the computer wizardry that some people of my age seem to have, though I can usually figure it out. I relied on IT at work, and nothing really has gone wrong at home, before, except for living in a cellular deadzone. After using mainly Google, and adding Firefox as another browser, with similar results, I found websites to "ping" Expo, and verify that I was sending to them, and another site, that tested my modem/router. That site gave "warning!" concerning my system's response times.
  • After trying several outside ISP and DNS workarounds (with no change in connection success), I finally thought of trying to connect using my cellphone's 3G/4G data plan, with the Wi-Fi turned off. I finally connected thru Google search to Expedition Portal, and was able to log in (though my phone is much too small and slow to use like I want to, while on any forum). So, the problem had to be in my modem/router (or ISP), after all.
  • I called AT&T to discover which one was bad. After two calls, and two chats with them, I was directed to run a "tracert" on Command Prompt, to see what my ISP was doing. The last techie, on the final phone call, determined that my AT&T-supplied router had gone bad. (I had long suspected it was going bad, with constant lost wi-fi, and ridiculous loading times on Roku, Netflix, and Amazon TV over the last few months). I scheduled a new router replacement for tomorrow, but I won't be actually sure it's fixed, until I run it with no problems for a month!
  • But, there's another thing I still don't understand (even more so), why does the router screw up on only one website in particular (though it hampers streaming TV), and why can't it be given new programming, instead of replacement? The technicians had no answer for me, on that.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:19 pm

working on it wrote:
  • ... I called AT&T to discover which one was bad. After two calls, and two chats with them, I was directed to run a "tracert" on Command Prompt, to see what my ISP was doing. The last techie, on the final phone call, determined that my AT&T-supplied router had gone bad. (I had long suspected it was going bad, with constant lost wi-fi, and ridiculous loading times on Roku, Netflix, and Amazon TV over the last few months). I scheduled a new router replacement for tomorrow, but I won't be actually sure it's fixed, until I run it with no problems for a month!
  • But, there's another thing I still don't understand (even more so), why does the router screw up on only one website in particular (though it hampers streaming TV), and why can't it be given new programming, instead of replacement? The technicians had no answer for me, on that.
  • The AT&T technician may not have realized what the problem actually was, being described by me long-distance 9to India, I think), so the prescribed fix, a new upgraded router, was not the solution, after all. I received the new router today, free, so I'm not kicking about that, especially since the old one was going bad (the installer said he thought that model had been replaced, long ago). But, the problem with Expo still remains.
  • I ran some more tests, had my wife try from her home office (didn't work, same ISP), then both of us reached the website using our cellphones on data only, no wi-fi. I logged on, and after some searching, found a thread where a lot of Expo users had been suddenly locked out or blocked, starting over a month ago, as the forum started making changes (don't know why, it was great before that). Some had followed the same steps as I had, some had traced the blockage to the new server operation, and others just suddenly got unblocked (while some didn't). An administrator, or a higher-up in the forum food chain, said he thought that the new operation system randomly blocked some ISPs for no reason, and that it was being looked at (I think that's what was said, or maybe I just read that into it...it's hard to read-and write- on my slow cellphone's small screen). So, I described my situation, and asked for help, and I don't know if it ever will be. I might have to get a 4G/Wi-Fi tablet after all, but I was trying to limit my data use.
  • Right now, as I type this, my PC keeps freezing up. It seems I've been selected to lead the return to the stone age, with hand-written letters, snail mail, maybe even drums or smoke-signals for communication. Maybe it's because of the bad things I said to Facebook, asking the to leave me alone....
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Grrrr, janky computer connections are the worst. Keep at it, you'll figure it out.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:38 pm

Problem fixed. After a week+ of trying everything I could, I reached an administrator through a PM, after I learned who to send it too. He replied promptly, and within two days, he got higher-ups involved, and several people said their problem was fixed. I had learned of using VPNs to bypass my blocked ISP, and finally got more adept at it, so I was connected to Expo on all my devices (a different VPN on each). Today, it was fixed, and I can go back to the usual method. But, this experience has taught me a lot of computer workarounds, I never knew of. My computer training had stopped, mostly, after key-punch, main-frames, Fortran and Cobol. I only learned from workstation experience after that, but limited in scope, since IT at work did it all. Thanks to you all for your support, and to Expedition Portal for responding in a timely? manner.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion