Solar powered slow cooker

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Solar powered slow cooker

Postby KennethW » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:30 pm

With the lower cost of solar panels it does out up some more power options. You might even not need a controller or battery if the inverter can handle the voltages from the panel
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby booyah » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:10 am

While Kenneth is technically correct, you'd want a battery and charge controller to run the inverter reliably. A 300w inverter can pull much more than a 100w panel can output, since most of the time the panel is only really going to give you a workable 65-85w.

The battery serves to to handle the spikes in load and cover the dips in supply that you will find in this type of a load. Think a water systems reservoir. The panel (stream) keeps feeding into the battery (reservoir) so that the supply and demand dont have to match perfectly. If the supply over runs demand, the charge controler (flood gate) keeps you from damaging the battery.

These guys have a TON of good info on solar setups from small ones for a TD to larger ones for homes or cabins, to very large industrial setups. Totally worth digging into

http://forum.solar-electric.com/
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:05 pm

There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Regarding the electrical portion -

My question is the conversion from AC watts to DC watts this simple?

AMPS multiplied by VOLTS = WATTS
WATTS divided by VOLTS = AMPS
Then the watts are converted to amps in the other voltage.

If and inverter is needed I assume the crock pot 100 watts is for the AC side. For AC; 100 WATTS divided by 110 VOLTS is .9 AMPS AC

Since the power supply is a DC Battery (or Solar panel) feeding an inverter - 100 watts DC divided by 12 VOLTS = 8.3 AMPS DC plus the losses of the inverter.

While most inexpensive inverters (modified sine and pure sine) tout 90% efficiency some reviews I have read say they are more like 65% efficient. Which would mean the DC supply might need to supply the inverter with 9.2 amps for 90% efficiency and 12.7 AMPS for 65% efficiency

I am not sure about any of the above – but this my understanding of how this works. I might be off in the trees looking for coconuts on this. I welcome enlightenment.
=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:11 pm

For the most part using resistant heat in boondocking is a no no. You have no idea how much sun you will get...
Two alternatives, Wonderbags http://www.thekitchn.com/the-story-behind-the-wonderbag-a-nonelectric-slow-cooker-211785 which insulates a pot and
Thermal cookers i.e. http://www.treehugger.com/kitchen-design/nissan-thermal-cooker-crockpot-without-cord.html
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby booyah » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Cosmo wrote:Regarding the electrical portion -

My question is the conversion from AC watts to DC watts this simple?

AMPS multiplied by VOLTS = WATTS
WATTS divided by VOLTS = AMPS
Then the watts are converted to amps in the other voltage.

If and inverter is needed I assume the crock pot 100 watts is for the AC side. For AC; 100 WATTS divided by 110 VOLTS is .9 AMPS AC

Since the power supply is a DC Battery (or Solar panel) feeding an inverter - 100 watts DC divided by 12 VOLTS = 8.3 AMPS DC plus the losses of the inverter.

While most inexpensive inverters (modified sine and pure sine) tout 90% efficiency some reviews I have read say they are more like 65% efficient. Which would mean the DC supply might need to supply the inverter with 9.2 amps for 90% efficiency and 12.7 AMPS for 65% efficiency

I am not sure about any of the above – but this my understanding of how this works. I might be off in the trees looking for coconuts on this. I welcome enlightenment.
=Cosmo

So, "watts are watts no matter watt" is the rule. So yes 100w @110v = .91a. 100w@12v = 8.3a
a 300w inverter operating at 90% efficiency means it pulls 333w DC when its providing 300w AC. So generally if its providing 100w, its usually still using the 33w to run itself, making it closer to 75% efficient.

Still though, you want a battery to help out. that 100W panel isn't going to run a 100w load reliably, especially with an inverter thrown in.

If you have good sun, and do this with a charged battery involved, you can do so with net minimal pull from the battery. Sorta the whole "make hay while the sun shines"
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby Esteban » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:31 pm

I second Shadow Catcher's suggestion to use a thermal cooker for slow cooking. I use a Saratoga Jacks 5.5 liter Stainless Steel Thermal Cooker.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion