Teardrop heaters

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Teardrop heaters

Postby lacustom » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:09 am

What do most of you use to heat your teardrop trailers? Elec, propane ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lou Piscitelli
If you can dream it ,we can build it!
lacustom
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:45 am

When I've got electricity and I need heat, I have a small electric heater. Otherwise it's body heat, but I found preheating with propane helps a lot. Lucky for me, heat usually isn't needed.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby slowcowboy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:19 am

I run a small 12 volt ceramic heater..its about 300 watts... it's from a truck stop called a road pro and it will pre heat my small wide nicely ... it's a battery hog.. so I I my run it with my car chargeing my battery ....like 30 mins..than I can go 15 or 30 on my battery....all night long I run on a northern tool electric blanket on a timer....its a 12 volt blanket. Stuff it under 2 or 3 quilts....most summer nights even in Wyoming Rocky mountains I can get by on the 2 or 3 quilts no heat late August or Sept is heater time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:20 am

I have a small 4 wide by 9 feet long teardrop.

Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:22 am

I am a old ranch hand so I am used to only taking shoes off to sleep if you want to keep warm on a cold night in a teardrop don't try and sleep in your birthday suit. Just layer up and you will be surprised how little heat ya need.

slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:26 am

Propane would be fine or a small coleman white gas heater just set it on a shelf were it won't top over and make sure it won t catch your tear on fire.....than pre heat only like before bed or while eating dinner then take it out before you go to bed and shut it off defently don't sleep with it on inside.....also always crack a window all night long weather it's cold or hot and that prevents any suffocation.. .or any heater fumes...

slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:04 am

You're in Florida? Assuming your trailer is insulated, I'd be surprised if you ever needed heat. Body heat does it good enough for me. About 5 years ago, I bought an under-desk electric heater and stored it in my trailer. I've never even pulled it out of the box, even when it was 28 degrees outside. It is nice to have a little heat to get dressed by, though. Since my galley is inside, just warming water for coffee is enough for me; but, if you don't have that advantage, I would get a Mr Heater, or something like it. It uses those little throw-away propane bottles and is often used in tents and duck blinds, etc. There are also larger units that attach directly to your refillable propane tank. If you always camp where there are hook-ups, a small electric, portable heater would be fine.

Never leave any portable heater or propane heater unattended.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F21510 ... +big+buddy
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:21 am

Here's a shameless plug. On the FAQ page of my website under the header "Questions About Using a Camper" is an FAQ article titled, "How Do I Stay Warm?" It's a basic synopsis of what lots of campers use to keep warm during cold nights. Myself, I just layer up.

Link: http://www.boondockcampers.biz/faq.html
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
Teardrop Master

Postby Karen Clancy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Electric Blanket & when it gets too cold for just that I have a electric 400 watt heater , I believe the name on it is Handy Heater .
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Builder

Postby lacustom » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks for all of the comments. My trailer is insulated , I just finished it this winter. Yes I am in Florida but I want to head to North Carolina mountains in the fall. I def keep the windows cracked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lou Piscitelli
If you can dream it ,we can build it!
lacustom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:36 am

Winter I camp where I get electricity, small under desk heater. Above 30 the dog and I keep it plenty warm, have been known to keep a window wide open to keep it from getting too hot.
141240 145569147706
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:44 am

When I have access to 115, I use electric blanket. It's more controllable so you don't get too hot. But I also have a small electric heater to warm the cabin for changing clothes etc.
I got lucky and found one that has 350/700 watts, low is plenty in that small space.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:57 am

Has anyone used one of these little propane heaters?
They have a low oxygen sensor that seems smart

Aguyfromohio
Silver Donating Member

Postby MADTRAPPER » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Yea u can't control the heat either it's on or off. Find a good women!

Sent from my iPhone while sitting on toilet.
MADTRAPPER
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:08 pm

PKCSPT wrote:...small under desk heater... keep a window wide open to keep it from getting too hot.
  • My trailer is completely uninsulated, but I've never camped in it where the temperature fell below 40 at night, so heating hasn't posed a problem, yet. I have a comforter, and an unused 20 degree Coleman sleeping bag (emergency reserve; why open it until you need it? - carried it since 2000-). But, I've also carried one, or two, Lasko MyHeat ceramic heaters with me since they first came out. I used one in the old camper shell on my '75 C-10 while spending icy nights at work (sometimes the temperature was in single digits), to avoid a 120-mile round trip home, then in my '09 HHR Panel, when it became my DD and home-away-from home (I always parked near an outlet; I let my company pay for the electricity, after they quit giving us critical workers a per-diem motel room near-by).
  • Now, retired, I don't have to worry about car/truck heating, just my TTT. I transferred both the Lasko heaters to the trailer, and have used one twice, and both once (to heat up the trailer while running the A/C at the same time - to dehumidify my water-soaked interior {that's another story}). The trailer is only a 4x8, with about 88 cubic feet to heat/cool, and pretty air-tight, if all vents and windows are closed. It doesn't need much climate control, in the N.Texas area (A/C, of course!).
  • The Lasko heater is only 200 watts, so if park power (or my on-board generator) fail, then my Optima Yellowtop can run a heater thru my 400 watt inverter, if need arises. I also like their size, very small, and I can put them on my overhead shelf, easily. And they have tip-over shutdown, if dropped. I don't think I'd like using a catalytic heater, because they're very hot to touch, even if accidentally, and I think they need more venting than I would care to provide (I like closed windows).
  • Lasko MyHeat.PNG
    Lasko MyHeat.PNG (139.19 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
    low power consumption, tip-proof, enough heat for me
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", semi-offroad, 4x8 TTT, 2065 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube axle, w/brakes, 3000 lb. springs, & active-progressive bumpstops
  • *27x8.5-14LT all-terrain tires (x 3) *modified Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *LED lighting, triple fans, Pioneer stereo *A/C & 110vac heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill
  • *zinc/stainless steel front racks *96"L x 6"Dia. rooftop fishing rod/reel carrier
working on it
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion