Teardrop heaters

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby Heavy_Fuel » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 pm

KennethW wrote:The diesel park heater worked really good. It was -6 f last night and on low it was about the right temp inside the teardrop. Used about a quart of fuel in 8 hours and took the battery down to half charge But the battery was not at full charge when I started And the battery was at -6 so the preformants so the battery was down. So the battery lasted, used little fuel, and lots of heat on demand(just turn the control sweet) The battery(biggest deep from Walmart) will be charged back up with solar so that is not a problem. like is so far.


How loud is it on low? I'm a really light sleeper, and the typical forced air furnaces in most RV's wake me up every time they cycle.

I love the idea of a fuel efficient and low 12V power drain heater.
Heavy_Fuel
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:45 am

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby John61CT » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:38 pm

They're just as loud as the RV furnaces.

But you can mount them outside your living space, even in a well insulated box.

But someone standing near the burn exhaust will definitely notice it, bit like a vacuum cleaner.

Inside the living space near where you sleep would be like a jetliner taking off.
John61CT
500 Club
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:36 pm

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby KennethW » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:46 pm

Heavy_Fuel wrote:How loud is it on low? I'm a really light sleeper, and the typical forced air furnaces in most RV's wake me up every time they cycle.
I love the idea of a fuel efficient and low 12V power drain heater.


If you are a light sleeper this is not for you. But if you can sleep with louder white noise. It would work for you. I would say it is equal to a forced air home furnace. BUT in that it has controlled output. It can run full time so no startup noise after you fall a sleep just a constant whoosh of air and the slow rhythmic thumping of the fuel pump.(white noise?) Plus with controlled output you don't have the hot cold cycles. But then I have not camped in is yet. ;)
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1074
Images: 82
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 pm
Top

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:24 pm

How many wires are needed for the t-stat? I want to rough in wires now that it would be easy and install the heater down the road when we need it. It will go in the tongue box.

Thanks
Todd
User avatar
KTM_Guy
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 298
Images: 137
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:50 am
Location: Mesa, AZ near Usery
Top

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby KennethW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:04 am

KTM_Guy wrote:How many wires are needed for the t-stat? I want to rough in wires now that it would be easy and install the heater down the road when we need it. It will go in the tongue box.
Thanks
Todd

I would have to go out and look as it all came in the kit with plugs in the ends(plug and play) All I had to do was connect to power and even those wires had eyelets on. I when out and looked 5 thin wires. The control is a sealed box with the wire and a plug at the end. The control that came with my kit is more of a volume control as it turn the heat up and down. Not, on and off. Some kit may be different.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1074
Images: 82
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 pm
Top

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:32 am

KennethW wrote:I would have to go out and look as it all came in the kit with plugs in the ends(plug and play) All I had to do was connect to power and even those wires had eyelets on. I when out and looked 5 thin wires. The control is a sealed box with the wire and a plug at the end. The control that came with my kit is more of a volume control as it turn the heat up and down. Not, on and off. Some kit may be different.


Thanks, I'll make sure I have at least five wires roughed in.

Todd
User avatar
KTM_Guy
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 298
Images: 137
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:50 am
Location: Mesa, AZ near Usery
Top

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby KennethW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:53 am

Just a little update The lights on the control is almost bright enough to read by<sarc> I will need to tape are paint over them just letting a pin hole to see.
I will be burning Kerosene instead of diesel. What I have read is it will burn cleaner on the low settings that I will be using. On a trip if I can't find Kerosene, I can use diesel (dual fuel). Kerosene is a little high price at the pump, but the heater burns so little it is worth it not to have any problems with soot plugging it up.
I am thinking :thinking: about making a hot water heater by wrapping the exhaust pipe with copper tubing. Turn the heater on(open doors and vent in the summer), Lift a jug of water hooked with a hose to the bottom end of copper pipe, And hot water come out the top for soup, chocolate or coffee. :twisted: Lower the water tank and the water drain out for freezing temps. Thoughts?
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1074
Images: 82
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 pm
Top

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby John61CT » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Buy a purpose build "water" heat exchange fluid-to-fluid unit rather than DIY.

hydronic, calorifier are other keywords
John61CT
500 Club
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:36 pm
Top

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby shootr » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:59 pm

Any thoughts on using car seat warmers?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71trYR3a0mL._SL1200_.jpg

We're heading to Zion in March, expected lows in the teens. Our 4'x8' teardrop is uninsulated, but in the past we've been fine without anything down to mid 30's. (Double sleeping bags zipped together over 5" foam). These should draw approx. 60W-70W on low for the pair, so thinking we'd get a few nights off the deep cycle battery without getting into too much trouble.
Last edited by shootr on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
shootr
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 235
Images: 8
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 10:38 pm
Location: Mesa AZ
Top

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:09 am

The average lows for Zion in March is 30. High is mid 50's.

I think you would be better off with a 12v heated blanket. Sleep on top of that and just turn it on when needed. Or a small 12v heater to run just in the morning when getting dressed to take the chill off.

Todd
User avatar
KTM_Guy
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 298
Images: 137
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:50 am
Location: Mesa, AZ near Usery
Top

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:24 am

shootr wrote:Any thoughts on using car seat warmers?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71trYR3a0mL._SL1200_.jpg

Image

We're heading to Zion in March, expected lows in the teens. Our 4'x8' teardrop is uninsulated, but in the past we've been fine without anything down to mid 30's. (Double sleeping bags zipped together over 5" foam). These should draw approx. 60W-70W on low for the pair, so thinking we'd get a few nights off the deep cycle battery without getting into too much trouble.

When I camped in the teens, I experimented a couple of nights. What worked best was .
1) I got some small quilt like ( moving blankets) and hung them from the walls.
2) preheated the interior with a small propane heater until everything was above 75 inside.
3) hot water bottle at foot of sleeping bag.

If you can warm the interior enough to fall asleep, then you will probably be ok as long as you have a decent sleeping bag.
Socal Tom
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1061
Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:21 am
Location: San Diego Ca
Top

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby shootr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:10 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:The average lows for Zion in March is 30. High is mid 50's.

I think you would be better off with a 12v heated blanket. Sleep on top of that and just turn it on when needed. Or a small 12v heater to run just in the morning when getting dressed to take the chill off.

Todd


Right now it's forecasting mid 20's at night / mid 40's daytime. If me and the missus had the same "heating needs" I'd go for a blanket - but having separate controls seems prudent :lol:
User avatar
shootr
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 235
Images: 8
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 10:38 pm
Location: Mesa AZ
Top

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby shootr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:14 pm

Socal Tom wrote:
shootr wrote:Any thoughts on using car seat warmers?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71trYR3a0mL._SL1200_.jpg

Image

We're heading to Zion in March, expected lows in the teens. Our 4'x8' teardrop is uninsulated, but in the past we've been fine without anything down to mid 30's. (Double sleeping bags zipped together over 5" foam). These should draw approx. 60W-70W on low for the pair, so thinking we'd get a few nights off the deep cycle battery without getting into too much trouble.

When I camped in the teens, I experimented a couple of nights. What worked best was .
1) I got some small quilt like ( moving blankets) and hung them from the walls.
2) preheated the interior with a small propane heater until everything was above 75 inside.
3) hot water bottle at foot of sleeping bag.

If you can warm the interior enough to fall asleep, then you will probably be ok as long as you have a decent sleeping bag.


Someone earlier noted hanging our jackets over the doors - so just got done putting coat hooks in over the doors to do just that - cheers to a genius idea :beer:

I'm really looking hard at one of those little portable heaters that go on the stove size bottles - that might be the ticket. Good to hear it does work well as a solution.
User avatar
shootr
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 235
Images: 8
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 10:38 pm
Location: Mesa AZ
Top

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby KennethW » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:32 pm

shootr wrote:I'm really looking hard at one of those little portable heaters that go on the stove size bottles - that might be the ticket. Good to hear it does work well as a solution.


Be very careful with those little portable propane heaters. Never ever sleep with one on. If you do your teardrop may be come your coffin !!! Every year a number of people in ice fishing shacks DIE with those heaters. If you plan to do a fair amount of cold weather camping The diesel(or kerosene) parking heater I posted a few post up. I think is the real answer. About $200+ and you get a FULLY vented heater that will not kill you. If you do use a un-vented propane. Get a CO alarm!!
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1074
Images: 82
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 pm
Top

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby shootr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:39 pm

KennethW wrote:
shootr wrote:I'm really looking hard at one of those little portable heaters that go on the stove size bottles - that might be the ticket. Good to hear it does work well as a solution.


Be very careful with those little portable propane heaters. Never ever sleep with one on. If you do your teardrop may be come your coffin !!! Every year a number of people in ice fishing shacks DIE with those heaters. If you plan to do a fair amount of cold weather camping The diesel(or kerosene) parking heater I posted a few post up. I think is the real answer. About $200+ and you get a FULLY vented heater that will not kill you. If you do use a un-vented propane. Get a CO alarm!!
Noted - the one I'm looking at has the low oxygen sensor - but it would only be used to preheat the trailer before going to bed. Doesn't have a thermostat and I wouldn't trust anything burning inside just from tight confines, and overkill.
User avatar
shootr
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 235
Images: 8
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 10:38 pm
Location: Mesa AZ
Top

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests