Trim, Molding, and Hinges - Updated Sources?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Trim, Molding, and Hinges - Updated Sources?

Postby kokomoto » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:26 am

The time has come to order trim, molding, and hinges. I've spent hours scouring and searching this site, and had a few ideas of how I want to go. The problem is that Lil Bears (Grant Whipp) supplied the items had I had planned on using. Since his retirement, it's become more difficult to find a one stop shop for all the items I had counted on using for my project. There are other vendors that seem to have a piece here, and a piece there. Most of the posts that I have read on the subject were posted prior to Lil Bear closing shop.

One example is what Grant used to call the "better-than-hurricane-hinge". I've used the Steve Frederick hatch design, and want a zero offset hinge. Has anyone used the hinge sold here http://teardroptrailerparts.com/Hinges_ ... _Trim.html ? Is this the same hinge that Grant was selling? TC Teardrops sells a nice hinge, but it has an offset as do all of the other vendors that I have found so far.

Also, at http://www.teardrops.net/teardroptrailerparts.html , there was a variety of widths of aluminum trim available. It seems that other vendors sell one size only. Has anyone located a vendor who sell a wider range of sizes for this trim? Example from teardrops.net
LB-EdgeMoldings.jpg
Moldings
LB-EdgeMoldings.jpg (8.48 KiB) Viewed 841 times

I am building my own doors, which seems to almost double the need for trim.

I'm also shopping for door hinges. My doors are going to be 32" wide with a 25"x 15" window installed. The window is a tilt-out design, and is the same one used on the LG T@G TDs.

08C73588-BADB-4E23-8C1F-6158FD5FC901.jpg
window
08C73588-BADB-4E23-8C1F-6158FD5FC901.jpg (137.77 KiB) Viewed 841 times

I wanted the window installed high on the door, which limits the size of the hinge that I can use. I'd like to use stainless steel strap hinges. Most are too large to fit without running into the window. I found one that I believe will fit without interfering with the window.

17262045-0561-467C-9810-B984845EBA07.jpg
hinge
17262045-0561-467C-9810-B984845EBA07.jpg (26.38 KiB) Viewed 841 times

They are available from Austin Hardware in both LH and RH. Has anyone used a hinge like this on the DIY doors?

Also, how important is it to install aluminum trim around both the door/door opening edges? Pros/cons?

I am planning on installing the doors flush with the outer walls, installing a 1/2" thick plywood frame around the inside of the door opening with a rabbet to accommodate the seal. I plan to use the neoprene large "D" seal for the doors.
Last edited by kokomoto on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Re: Trim, Molding, and Hinges - Updated Sources?

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:49 am

Nice find. Thanks for sharing!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby wingloader » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:07 am

Checkout this thread on your hinge/door questions.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65578&p=1182208#p1182208

You are doing EXACTLY what I am doing with those hinges. The thread I show above details exactly how to do what you want to do. I too am mounting the door flush with the outside of the camper. Tom bumped his out a bit so he could put a seal around the outer edge of the door. Using the inner plywood to create a seal surface is how I am doing it too that way I can mount the door flush. The T molding will be for looks only.

I didn't know Grant retired until today. I have a need for the same aluminum you are looking for. If you have found a source for the larger varieties, I'd love to know where you found them.

Thanks!
Joe
It takes a big man to cry, and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.
--jack handy
wingloader
Donating Member

Postby kokomoto » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:30 pm

wingloader wrote:Checkout this thread on your hinge/door questions.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65578&p=1182208#p1182208

You are doing EXACTLY what I am doing with those hinges. The thread I show above details exactly how to do what you want to do. I too am mounting the door flush with the outside of the camper. Tom bumped his out a bit so he could put a seal around the outer edge of the door. Using the inner plywood to create a seal surface is how I am doing it too that way I can mount the door flush. The T molding will be for looks only.

I didn't know Grant retired until today. I have a need for the same aluminum you are looking for. If you have found a source for the larger varieties, I'd love to know where you found them.

Thanks!
Joe

Yeah, Grant had a great selection of parts. I wish someone had picked up his business.

I bought most of my trim from teardropparts.com, including the top edge trim, T door molding, and double edge trim. The top edge trim I fastened around the wall to roof joint with the aluminum drive screws. They look like rivets when installed. I'm very pleased with the result. The T door molding was used around both doors. The double edge trim was installed around the entire bottom perimeter of the TD. I tried to avoid insert trim. The inserts deteriorate over time, and I wanted a more vintage look. That's also why I didn't want any tread plate aluminum.

I bought the edge trim molding HT-09 and hurricane hinge from teardroptrailerparts.com. It is sold in one size only and is 7/8" wide. I used it inside the door opening, the top of the galley wall, and on the tongue box.

I'm trying to find the best weatherstrip for the door now, and will update my build thread once I get it.

Take a look at my build post. If you have any other questions, just let me know.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:43 pm

I've been eyeing a hinge like that - both at etrailer and on ebay. Think its same? Do you feel it will last?

https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trail ... 83700.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-Trailer-o ... pM&vxp=mtr
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby wingloader » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:53 pm

I bought four of those hinges on eBay from this seller.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/1stop_rvshop?_t ... 2749.l2754

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Plated-T ... 2749.l2648

Shipping was unbelievably fast. They are very solid hinges with good chrome plating. I'm sure they will last a very long time. You can get really nice beveled head Phillips stainless steel bolts at Lowe's for these and they fit perfectly.
It takes a big man to cry, and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.
--jack handy
wingloader
Donating Member

Postby kokomoto » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:25 pm

I found the perfect hinges from Austin Hardware.

http://austinhardware.com/AH3.aspx

image.jpeg
Hinge
image.jpeg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 635 times

They are shorter, and fit my doors perfectly without interfering with the window. They seem to be built well. They come in left and right hand.

image.jpeg
Hinge 2
image.jpeg (122.82 KiB) Viewed 635 times

I tried to use stainless steel hardware wherever possible to minimize the chance of corrosion. Besides the trailer frame, a few staples from an air nailer in the roof, and the gas springs, I don't think I have any steel in my TD at all.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion