Downgrade

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Downgrade

Postby Joe.H » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Hello

How many of you down graded from a Rv/Travel trailer to a tear drop?
Joe.H
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Downgrade

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:04 am

MY RV downgraded itself , in a very short time ... :frightened: Teardrops are made to last , RV’s are made to fail and have expensive repairs ... ( RV EVIL empire )
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Downgrade

Postby ilovevocs » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:38 am

I just sold my motorhome and have started a tear build.

The expensive of the motorhome; fuel and Maintance outweighed the benefits and prevented me from using it as frequently as I would like.

My wife and I love to travel, eat new foods, meet new people, and see the Beauty the country has to offer. We do not enjoy spending tons of money doing it. The cheaper we travel the more often we can travel. We continue to get more frugal with age.

Difficult to stop in cities if you are traveling through unless you towed a vehicle.

They are better in theory than practicality.

Rarely cooked inside the coach, preferred to use camp ground faculties when available for restroom and showering.
ilovevocs
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pete49 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:45 am

We went from a tent to a MH (I converted a bus) :oops: then went to a caravan(travel trailer) but still expensive to travel so bought a tear and never looked back. Best cost effective choice we made and most comfortable travelling ever. Don't even notice it behind us it tows so well. :D
Pete
pete49
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nobody » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:13 am

Since my wife & I were married in 1960, we've owned/used just about every kind of RV except motorhomes. From truck campers, basic 8' cabover box with icebox'n stove to the largest cabover camper you could buy in the mid/late l980s. We also owned/used a Starcraft pop-up trailer, an 18' 'travel' trailer, a 32' 5th wheel trailer, & numerous pop-up type truck campers (we currently own a 1999 Ford F250, Supercab, long bed 7.3L Turbodiesel, that carries a 2003 8.5' SunLite Eagle, pop-up type truck camper with toilet, that I use for a hunting/fishing rig). We thoroughly enjoyed every one, & most all served us admirably while our 2 sons were growing up. They (our sons) grew up camping in various rigs, their families grew up the same way, & our grandkids'n great grandkids think that is really the only way to have fun. In late 2005 when we were thinking of downsizing a little, I remembered seeing teardrop trailers when I was growing up in the 1940s/50s. Being relatively new to computers and the internet, I began a search for information & pretty quickly discovered tnttt. I joined the forum (think there were only a couple thousand members or less at that time), visited our local Harbor Freight outlet where they had their 1800# trailer (that was the weight rating in those days instead of the 1720/40# now) on sale for $279 & I had a 20% off coupon (HF didn't have the restriction on trailers & other high$$ items then) so I got the trailer (in 3 boxes) for around $225 plus tax in Jan 2006. When I got home I put the boxes in my barn & didn't think much more about 'em 'til April or May. I'd been searching the internet for a design profile that we liked & finally settled on a sorta combo of the ultra lite & the Grumann. I drew the outline on graph paper, transferred that to a sheet of cardboard I'd found at a local furniture wholesaler, cut it out for a profile pattern, assembled the HF trailer & I was on my way. I had absolutely NO plans for the build, just kinda knew what we wanted, located 0.040" aluminum sheets (4X10') locally for a reasonable price, bought 'em, & located enough wood (scrap & some new) to begin the build. After 4 months of intermittent work (most every day at least a couple hours), the TD was 'campable' & I made the first trip to Shawnee NF, IL for an annual squirrel hunt/gathering of like minded individuals. We eat, BS, indulge in some adult beverages, eat some more, BS, do a little squirrel hunting, make music, eat, & generally have a great time for 5-7 days each September. The TD worked fine as did the 'slant legged' 8' square top, portable shelter I used over the galley. I quickly found that a 10' square, straight legged shelter such as E-Z Up or the 1st Up from WalMart was a much better shelter for not much more money. Also, the 3" thick folding mats I was using as a mattress didn't provide enough support for my aging bones, (we later acquired a 4" memory foam mattress which along with a 1 1/2" 'egg crate' memory foam topper, slept most as good as our bed at home). I spent most of the first year modifying the TD, adding fenders, a tongue box, a rear bumper, completing the galley & interior cabinets. We've towed the TD around 30K miles, over every kind of road/terrain, including a 10day 'flying' trip to California at freeway speeds, to visit wife's brother in 2012) & thoroughly enjoyed every minute. We did learn that it's a 'fair weather' outfit & not suitable, at our age (currently 81 & 77) for all circumstances. In Jan 2015 we located & bought a 2001 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe molded fiberglass trailer with bath. The Casita is much more suitable for those night time nature calls that have become inevitable at our age. Even erecting my wife's 'potty shelter' next to the TD or getting a site near the 'facility' isn't as 'handy' as using your own bathroom facility. We still will take the TD on certain outings but at our age we're looking for a little more comfort, & the Casita is better for us than the TD.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:14 pm

I have known quite a few people with motorhomes and campers. The majority of them don't use the bathrooms or the kitchens in them because of the mess and smell so close to the sleeping area. They bring grills and cook outside and the bathrooms are for "emergency" use only. When I decided to upgrade from tent camping, I took this into consideration. A teardrop filled all the boxes I needed to improve my camping experience and doesn't make me haul anything I won't use. The main thing I was looking for was two doors so one can get out without disturbing the other (tents usually have one door). The other was not having to put my shoes on at ground level and get up from ground level (getting old).
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:45 pm

We went the other direction, tents to tear.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby jandmz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 am

We started camping after our nest emptied out. Our youngest son had such bad allergies that he was miserable if we tried to take him camping, so we just set it aside "for a while". Our first camper was a popup that pretty much filled the bill for a number of years. It had a built in cassette toilet for those late night necessities, but was hard to load and prepare for a trip without popping it up.

As the time was approaching for retirement, we started looking for our "retirement camper". We ended up with a 23 ft TT that was light enough to tow with the S10 Blazer. When we went shopping for our retirement home, we made sure to get into a "RV friendly" community (Say NO to HOA). So we have the trailer parked on a pad beside the garage with a 30A outlet. Then, 2 years after we bought the TT, my company decided that they didn't need to pay me any more because they could hire a replacement much cheaper (me and 200 other employees).

I had been contemplating a TD build, but we have become so spoiled with the toilet facilities, the fridge, the walkaround queen bed and the ability to load at our leisure, that I don't think I could convince my wife to switch our camping style... ...Yeah, that's it , its all her fault. She just won't give up the luxuries of the TT... ...yeah, I'll blame it on her... :oops:

By the way, I wouldn't consider a TD to be a "downgrade". Its just a different style of camping.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby Joe.H » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:17 pm

jandmz wrote:We started camping after our nest emptied out. Our youngest son had such bad allergies that he was miserable if we tried to take him camping, so we just set it aside "for a while". Our first camper was a popup that pretty much filled the bill for a number of years. It had a built in cassette toilet for those late night necessities, but was hard to load and prepare for a trip without popping it up.

As the time was approaching for retirement, we started looking for our "retirement camper". We ended up with a 23 ft TT that was light enough to tow with the S10 Blazer. When we went shopping for our retirement home, we made sure to get into a "RV friendly" community (Say NO to HOA). So we have the trailer parked on a pad beside the garage with a 30A outlet. Then, 2 years after we bought the TT, my company decided that they didn't need to pay me any more because they could hire a replacement much cheaper (me and 200 other employees).

I had been contemplating a TD build, but we have become so spoiled with the toilet facilities, the fridge, the walkaround queen bed and the ability to load at our leisure, that I don't think I could convince my wife to switch our camping style... ...Yeah, that's it , its all her fault. She just won't give up the luxuries of the TT... ...yeah, I'll blame it on her... :oops:

By the way, I wouldn't consider a TD to be a "downgrade". Its just a different style of camping.

Very true
Joe.H
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Joe.H » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. I really like my R-pod but have to think of cost in the future...
Joe.H
Teardrop Inspector

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:14 am

Over the past few years, we went from
34' Bounder (hated it totally)
25' Travel Trailer ( enjoyed it, but was a pain in many ways)
Popup Truck Camper (looked like a good idea, soon realized it was just painful, uncomfortable)
Tent ( worked well, which triggered the idea to build the Conch Fritter)
10' Conch Fritter and a Kia Minivan- We love it. Tows like a dream, comfortable, fully equipped. We use the minivan as a "living room" if the weather is really bad.

So, went from 34' down to 10' and could not be happier.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Down graded after 17 years from a Winnebago Brave to a two man tent. Upgraded after eight years to a teardrop. Best move yet.
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Redgloves » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:15 pm

I have owned pop up, travel trailers, 5th wheels, tents, pickup with cover, and now a teardrop . All have pros and cons.

IMO, the easiest is the teardrop. Certainly easy to pull, pack, park. Miss the full bathroom though that was in the 5th wheel.

Jean
Geocacher, healthcare provider, mom and women with not enough common sense regarding personal safety when it comes to adventure outings!

Owner:
Uff Da Inn, a 2015 Camp Inn 560
Redgloves
The 300 Club

Postby JohnnyG » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:30 pm

We had a 31' class c. Still had it when I started on the teardrop. Meanwhile I've always, and still, use a tent on many a backpack trip. I like all modes of travel!!
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion