I find a sink today or die trying...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby madjack » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:16 pm

Ira that is a parts washer as used in mecjanics shop...it has no inlet and no drain...you pour a couple gallons or so of varsol or some other solvent into it and the pump recirculates thru the spout and back into the container...the pump is built into the container, probably has some sort of filter/screen arangement along with the pump in the bottom of the container...while it would work, it would also take a fair bit of modding to work
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:19 pm

So Steve, Do you think I'll be able to rig a feeder hose from where it is now, out the unit and then into a collapsible jug? Is 50 GPH halfway decent? Like, do you think that pump would have a problem with lift from where the jug will be located, way down?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ira » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:20 pm

madjack wrote:Ira that is a parts washer as used in mecjanics shop...it has no inlet and no drain...you pour a couple gallons or so of varsol or some other solvent into it and the pump recirculates thru the spout and back into the container...the pump is built into the container, probably has some sort of filter/screen arangement along with the pump in the bottom of the container...while it would work, it would also take a fair bit of modding to work
madjack 8)

Just saw your post after I posted to Steve.

I think I can handle the modifications, but do you think the pump will be strong enough?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:40 pm

Ira the pump would be plenty strong enough but it may not "self" prime and handle the lift outta your water jug....if you could remove the pump and place it so it would be as low as the bottom of your water jug I am sure it would splash water in you eye from that spoon you were rinsing...what about the pump for the coleman h2o on demand water heater..what happened to that idea
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:46 pm

Well, as a I posted above, for 29 bucks for this WITH a pump, I can live without the $200 Hot Water on Demand unit for now, if I can make it functional. But even if I CAN'T make it functional, it's a no brainer:

I still have to get it because of the perfect dimensions, cheap cost, plus the lid.

Thanks, Jack--sometimes you just have to talk these things out to make a decision.

Now let me go check that shipping cost...
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:52 pm

....Ira, there is another possibility to consider...that pump is meant to pump solvents...it may have an iron impellor or pump body...in which case it would rust up on ya also the "sink" and lid are also painted steel and if so will rust up on ya...like I said, these things aren't meant for water...don't know this for a fact but it is something to consider...but you are right about the price
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:03 am

Good point. But putting the pump workings aside, if I take care to keep the sink otherwise dry when not in use, I think it could give me a pretty good life.

I DIDN'T go to Restaurant Depot today because my son had other ideas and I needed a haircut, but I'll head there first thing tomorrow. If I don't find a stainless pan in workable size, I'll go for this parts washer and get this stupid sink cloud away from head already!

Why can't this be as easy as when I found my 5' by 8' cabin carpeting at Wal-Mart for $19.99--minus my wife's 10% discount???
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:21 am

Ira,
I've got a boat sink that measures 10 x 14 with a whoping 10" depth.
It has an 1 1/2" flange. (Making it 13 x 17 overal)
It's designed to be a drop in, but it could easily be made to install from underneath the counter. (That woud be 11 1/2" of above countertop space you'd need to at least hide the front flange)
This is a very common boat sink.

Postby Ira » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:29 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Ira,
I've got a boat sink that measures 10 x 14 with a whoping 10" depth.
It has an 1 1/2" flange. (Making it 13 x 17 overal)
It's designed to be a drop in, but it could easily be made to install from underneath the counter. (That woud be 11 1/2" of above countertop space you'd need to at least hide the front flange)
This is a very common boat sink.

WHERE? LET'S SEE A LINK!

Also, if I wanted to drop it in, do you think I could cut an inch off the rear flange where it butts my galley cabinet wall? Or is it impossible to cut?

I got 12"--that's it.

Countertop space, I mean. 8)
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:37 am

How much depth do you have underneath the counter?
Might be kinda tough to cut the flange down to 1"
It'll take some diggin to find a link... I bought this one on ebay B.B.

Postby Ira » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:46 am

I have all of the depth in the world:

My counter is about 30" up from the floor of TD, and I'm leaving all of that below space "open" for now. (I'm probably just going to hang some vinyl curtain/shower curtain to visually close it in.)

Once I have a sink in, on the far right-hand side, I'll determine how to use the rest of that below space under the sink. I'll be mounting my microwave (or micro/convection combo), as well as a gas oven under that left side. The rest is going to be for storage.

I'm not doing silverware drawers or other nice cabinet stuff. First, I don't know HOW to, I'm not all that organized to begin with, and every piece of lumber I put in there will take away space.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:05 am

I found this link, but I'm pretty sure these are spendy litlle jewels...
http://www.scandvik.com/index.cfm/method/Shopping_sinks.htm
I'll try and find a link to that on I bought on Ebay B.B., 'cause I saw it listed somewhere when I was bidding on it.
You could do an under counter mount and not have to modify it... just cut the threaded studs off and drill mounting holes...

Postby Ira » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:25 am

What the heck am I doing up at 1:15AM looking for sinks?

NEW BUILDERS! TAKE NOTE AND BEWARE! THIS WILL HAPPEN TO YOU!

Dean--nice stuff there, no prices, and I'm sure you're right--EXPENSIVE.

I'd like to find one with those magical dimensions you noted.

But I AM going to bed now.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:57 am

Lightweight... :lol:
I'll see if I can find a link on that sink and have it waiting for you in the AM.

Postby fornesto » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:00 am

Anyone thought of using an oil pan from a wrecking yard? The drains already built in. Have a good night/morning/day!
fornesto
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion