Fender style suggestions...... ?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Fender style suggestions...... ?

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:58 pm

hi all
I am nearing the end of my NOMAD adventure trailer build and am stuck on a design/styling problem... my fenders.

My trailer will be used exclusively for my own "adventure" trips. Backcountry fly fishing, hiking, extended bird hunting trips - that is what I do and what I designed my trailer for and what I want it looking "at home" doing. I am really going for more of an offroad/rugged style look with my build (as opposed to a classic teardrop or retro styled trailer). My wheels were designed to be partially inset into the body of the trailer (as opposed to completely outside of the trailer footprint). Currently I have the inside of the fenders welded in and this extends out about 6" from the side wall. My intention has always been to add fenders to this area and visually "draw up" the wheel/wheel well area. My first idea was to add a curved/donut type fender. I made a styofoam plug covered it and bondo and was preparing to fiberglass it when I decided I hated the look on my build. Even though I have some rounded elements to the style I didn't think it looked "rugged" enough. I have now settled on having my welder fabricate fenders for me.

Here is a picture of my build followed by an image that I found online of a "faceted" steel fender that I think I like. I would really like to get your opinions for or against this look (and any suggestion pictures that you might have for other styles).

Here is what I have done to the wheel well area so far:

by the way... my trailer is now painted "emergency orange" as opposed to the two tone shown above. Pardon the taped on logo - I am trying to get a feel for how big I want this before having them made.

thanks in advance for your input!!!
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Fender style suggestions...... ?

Postby John61CT » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:37 pm

I would prefer a curve that echoes the overall shape
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gudmund » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:22 pm

the one thing against curved and the pro too keeping a flat-top like what I see here is the being able to have a flat surface to set something down on whenever needed. I like and have curved ones myself but every so often I could have used the flat surface - just a thought.......
gudmund
500 Club

Postby hospadar » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:51 pm

gudmund wrote:the one thing against curved and the pro too keeping a flat-top like what I see here is the being able to have a flat surface to set something down on whenever needed. I like and have curved ones myself but every so often I could have used the flat surface - just a thought.......

I've been thinking the same thing - especially on my trailer where the kitchen pulls out of the side, I imagine a flat fender would be a very handy place to set dishes, put shoes one, etc.
hospadar
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:12 pm

John61CT wrote:I would prefer a curve that echoes the overall shape
  • I agree. You've got a pretty unique shape going, and since you're willing to attempt complex shapes, or have them made for you
    Poorlytiedfly wrote:. I have now settled on having my welder fabricate fenders for me. Here is...an image that I found online of a "faceted" steel fender that I think I like.
    , why not follow the pattern already set by the teardrop's general (unique) outline? I smashed the nose of your trailer into the tail, and here's what I came up with:
  • nose to tail fender mimicry.png
    nose to tail fender mimicry.png (416.66 KiB) Viewed 485 times
    attempted artistic rendering of proposed fender shape
  • If your welder can make the faceted fenders, he might be able to craft a complex curve, as well. Just what I saw when looking at your trailer.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 am

Here is what I went with. The are fiberglassed over a marine ply "plug". Since the bottom of the fender is 1/8" steel/welded - these were just cosmetic. I like the result!

Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vedette » Fri May 05, 2017 10:08 am

I personally liked the flat topped fenders you started with.
But the new ones will be more efficient at keeping the spray confined while driving.
Good Roads
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Fri May 05, 2017 11:47 am

I vote for the utility of a flat-topped fender. I put some ribbed stair tread on mine to protect the paint.

I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Return to General Discussion