Some Nat'l Monuments Under Review

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Some Nat'l Monuments Under Review

Postby JuneBug » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:15 pm

From WaPo: Zinke to review more than 2 dozen national monuments ‘to make sure the people have a voice’
Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said Tuesday evening that President Trump has authorized him to review any national monument created since Jan. 1, 1996, that spans at least 100,000 acres “to make sure the people have a voice” in which lands receive the highest level of federal protection.

Trump will sign an executive order authorizing the review Wednesday at the Interior Department, a move that could prompt changes to areas designated not only by former president Barack Obama but also George W. Bush and Bill Clinton. Each created multiple monuments under the 1906 Antiquities Act, which gives the president wide latitude to safeguard federal land that faces threats...

...While Zinke did not identify which designations the administration considers the most problematic, the review has been specifically crafted to encompass national monuments in Utah: Grand Staircase-Escalante, which Clinton declared in 1996, and Bears Ears, which Obama declared last December.

Longish article but worth a read if this topic is of interest to you. I cannot find a full list of the two dozen monuments referenced in the title.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Re: Some Nat'l Monuments Under Review

Postby doris s. » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:03 pm

JuneBug,
Trump and the GOP congress want to use the land to drill for oil and gas. The national parks belong to the American people. They are treasures and I hope he doesn't get rid of a single one.
Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby MtnDon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:20 pm

doris s. wrote:JuneBug,
Trump and the GOP congress want to use the land to drill for oil and gas. The national parks belong to the American people. They are treasures and I hope he doesn't get rid of a single one.
Doris

:thumbsup:
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:39 pm

I used to worry about the dems locking everything up, rumor has it the GOP wants to sell it all off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Some of it is sacred to First Nations people. It has much more value in perpetuity to our children and grandchildren to seven generations.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:30 am

Just back from a three-week 'drop trip that included two weeks in the Bear's Ear's Monument (It's huge). There are thousands of Indian ruins in it.

A remarkable place. No place for oil wells. And two weeks isn't enough time to see it all.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Unfortunately the Utah legislators have a "Drill baby drill" attitude.
They are spending time and money trying to undue the Bear's Ear's Monument and other federal lands.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby JuneBug » Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Here's an article with the national monuments that will be under review and photos:

PHOTOS: See The Sweeping American Landscapes Under Review By Trump

tony.latham, that looks like a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing photos of that amazing country.
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu May 04, 2017 10:20 pm

Great stuff Tony! We love UT. Have you ever been into The Maze area?
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun May 07, 2017 3:29 pm

MtnDon wrote:Great stuff Tony! We love UT. Have you ever been into The Maze area?

That'll be next March/April on our "flee winter" trip. I wanna see Chaco Canyon on that trip too.

T

p.s. I recall the Maze from Abbey's, Monkey Wrench Gang. I should read that again. I ran into him one night in the bar at Timberline Lodge and had a couple of beers with him. It was a curious night. I'm guessing that was 1976.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby JuneBug » Fri May 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke has visited the Bears Ears area this last week, but has spent almost all of his time with opponents of Bears Ears National Monument.

According to High Country News,
Zinke did have two official meetings with Bears Ears supporters: the Bears Ears Inter-Tribal Coalition, leaders from five tribes who advocated for the monument, and Friends of Cedar Mesa, a conservation nonprofit based in Bluff, Utah. Tribal leaders and environmental groups felt they were getting short shrift; these meetings accounted for only an hour and a half of Zinke’s two-day visit.

If you'd like to comment about the Bears Ears, there is a short window of opportunity. This government web site has information on how to comment on the Bears Ears and other monuments under review.
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0002-0001

From the Web site:
Dates
To ensure consideration, written comments relating to the Bears Ears National Monument must be submitted before May 26, 2017. Written comments relating to all other National Monuments must be submitted before July 10, 2017.
JuneBug
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion