Camping World / Gander Mountain

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Camping World / Gander Mountain

Postby lrrowe » Thu May 04, 2017 11:46 am

How many of you have seen this disturbing (to me at least) post?

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/busine ... uptcy-sale

I like Gander Mtn and I have no use for Camping World. And I base this bias on reports of CW"s approach to its customers and my own experience with them.

First it is the Cabelas/Bass Pro Shops bad news. Now it is GM/CW.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Re: Camping World / Gander Mountain

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu May 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Uggh I cant stand Camping World. Elitist pricks who don't bother to provide any amount of customer service to anyone who doesn't have a $100,000 RV (ok I'm exaggerating just a little), but that's a shame to hear about Gander Mountain! There's one 10 minutes from my office that I go to quite a bit. I wonder if it will survive. :NC
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Tom Horn » Thu May 04, 2017 6:55 pm

I have never had any dealings with Camping World but I worked part time at my local Gander Mtn for a couple years as an archery tech. At that time the discounts on products from the manufacture were awesome. With that said I have no idea how they survived as long as they did. It is a horribly managed company that for the most part seemed liked they really weren't interested in making a profit. The last few years the only thing that has kept my local one going is gun sales as everything else in the store just sits there on the counter as everyone goes to Academy because you can get the same item for a far cheaper price.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Thu May 04, 2017 8:21 pm

I like Camping World (don't love them, just like them) and understand they "cater' to the BIG RV world, but with their membership and the coupons I get by e-mail every 3 months I have to say - with their constant discounting of prices and closeout on items, I have gotten some great deals the last 4 to 5 years that almost rate as being giveaways!!! They do have a lot of stuff and things that no one else has in stock. I for one will keep stopping by and checking their discount items.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby mary and bob » Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 pm

We are Good Sam members, got a letter from them about the merger, about 2 days ago.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Thu May 04, 2017 8:38 pm

guess it depends on what part of the states you live in - have never heard of Gander Mountain here in Washington.(in fact we only have 3 Camping World's in the whole state and the only reason I even go to one is there is one locally in my neighborhood)
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu May 04, 2017 9:14 pm

The only reason we ever go to Camping World is for is ideas and frankly we will not be doing it again. Went there to look at small grills, every one of them was in its box. Have found that all of the big box camping, i.e. Bass Pro, Cabella's, Gander Mountain etc, do not sell the best quality gear. REI does sell the better quality gear.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mary and bob » Fri May 05, 2017 7:14 am

Camping World sometimes has good deals, sometimes not. When we were in Florida last winter we needed awning deflappers. CW was 20 minutes away, got a nice set for $22, a reasonable price I thought. While there bought a Coleman stove, didn't like it, took it back, no hassle return. Found that sometimes if I view an item online but don't buy it, a day or so later it is offered at a lower price. Looked at a TV antenna in the store, later bought it online from them at a cheaper price. As with everything, you have to shop around. Good Sam members usually get a discount at CW.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Fri May 05, 2017 11:35 am

I'm betting Round Rock's Gander Mt. is doomed. It's in a storefront formerly occupied by a (forgotten) outdoors retailer. Hardly ever many customers in there, and I usually shop the clearance racks. Cabela's is about an hour's drive south and Bass Pro is on the north side of RR. Hoping those two survive.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby lrrowe » Fri May 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby JuneBug » Wed May 10, 2017 2:10 pm

capnTelescope wrote:I'm betting Round Rock's Gander Mt. is doomed. It's in a storefront formerly occupied by a (forgotten) outdoors retailer. Hardly ever many customers in there, and I usually shop the clearance racks. Cabela's is about an hour's drive south and Bass Pro is on the north side of RR. Hoping those two survive.

I was thinking the same thing. There's the beautiful (relatively) new REI in Round Rock (Texas), a Cabelas down the road a ways, Academy. Had never heard of Gander Mountain until we drove past it some time in the past year. It's not a well-known name in this part of the country (central Texas).
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby booyah » Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 pm

They fixed it for you

All are going now :shock: :shock: :frightened: :cry:
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby Bamaeagle » Wed May 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Not all Gander Mountain Stores are to close.

www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05/gande ... 3_ala.html
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!

Bamaeagle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrowe » Thu May 11, 2017 6:09 am

Bamaeagle wrote:Not all Gander Mountain Stores are to close.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/0 ... 3_ala.html

Other then the fact that they are now a CW company, this is good news for 76 stores. The one me in Roanoke, VA will remain open. But I have concerns on what they will carry.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby elcam84 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Never heard of Gander Mountain until they built one in Lake Worth. I went in there one time which seems to have been a common trend. There wasnt really anything in there i was interested in and they were catering to the wrong customers. Its a little on the small side but it could be turned into an Academy which does very well. But i only really buy my $4 work shirts there...

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion