Initial review, Handy Heater

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Initial review, Handy Heater

Postby booyah » Wed May 10, 2017 9:27 pm

So first off, I am not being compensated for this in anyway, blah blah blah, I paid for it with my own money, etc etc etc.

So, that outta the way, here goes.
I had a trip this last weekend planned with one of my daughters (#2, shes 8 and likes turkey hunting!) to chase the gobblers nearby.
We figured we'd take the tear to make meals easier, and then we could sleep in an extra hour before we had to get up to start hunting.
Forecast called for overnight lows of upper 20s, so I was worried about her getting too cold.

I took a little time to install 110v in our camper before hand, and mounted a surge protector up on the wall, so it would be away from anything else, so I could plug in this little heater. My local Ace hardware had it for about $30 (buy local, etc http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... =114563096)

I figured at 350 watts it was sized quite well for a TD, and with a built in thermostat I was less likely to cook us out of the tear.

Two fan speeds, a shutoff timer, and the thermostat worked well enough (I doubt it was perfect, but I could hear it cycle on and off). We cracked a window and the fantastic a tiny bit, and were comfy all night long. I doubt this thing would heat up a bathroom, let alone the 250sq ft I saw claimed, but for a TD it might just be perfect. Further evaluation is required :twisted: One last thing, it has an orange light that people seem to confuse as a glowing element. Its not, but it makes a nearly perfect night light in a tear.

If you are in the market though, I recommend it so far at least!
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Re: Initial review, Handy Heater

Postby gudmund » Wed May 10, 2017 9:45 pm

just got back from the trip to the Shasta Gathering and used my Handy Heater numerous times and it worked just great!! I like the 2 speed setup - leave it on high when warming the trailer up and lower it when I get in to sleep being it can be noisy. Didn't use the thermostat - just let it run until it's warm enough and shut it off when it gets too warm. Love how it just plugs in and has no power cords - thus not having to find a place to set it, just stays plugged it all of the time. Was using the 200 watt Lasko heater from WM before and it worked fine also, just needed more warm up time with it and had to always make sure it was setting in a safe place so it wouldn't get knocked over. So far, I like the Handy Heater the best. :) :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby CorgiShack » Sat May 13, 2017 11:33 am

I saw your post a couple days ago and I had been looking for a small heater to put on the wall of the trailer.My wife gets cold very easily and having a heat source goes a long ways toward providing a comfortable trip.We will use this to take the chill off in the mornings mostly. The wood stove is still the better source of heat when it is actually cold, it's steady and quiet.This little heater was very easy to install.I like that it doesn't have a cord and it's up and out of the way.I ran it for a hour[on its timer] yesterday morning to burn the newness smell off and at 65 degrees it warmed the space[about 200 cubic feet]fairly quickly ,on low.It's a big improvement over the small portable we took occasionally which had to be on a flat surface[for the tip over switch]had a cord and had to be stored away when not in use.It will take some time to find out what the quality is like.The air conditioner has been installed for a upcoming trip,it usually has a blank plate there.So along with an conventional roof vent this is our entire h v a c system. 148255148256
CorgiShack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jondbar628 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:44 pm

After reading your posts, I went to the Ace website to investigate further. I noticed that they showed no customer reviews to date for this product. Perhaps you guys could go to their website and post a review commensurate with your posts here. That may make some small difference (along with sales figures) when ACE decides whether to keep this product in their inventory for next winter. Sounds like a winner for TDers, and I intend to get one for those chilly mornings. ..............JD
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Sun May 14, 2017 9:39 am

FYI, if you check out the archives, you will find we had a postings about Handy Heaters and others the end of 2016
gudmund
500 Club

Return to General Discussion