Best way to.prevent camper theft.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Best way to.prevent camper theft.

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:11 am

I know this may sound silly , but what about a "tracking device" that would emit a radio signal on a certain frequency … like in the James Bond movies … :thinking:
It could even be solar powered /battery so would beep for a long time …Hopefully till you found it …
We’ve got all kinds of electronics these days … why not this ?
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shoebone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:21 am

actually, just a small but not very discrete sticky label saying something like "Tracking Enabled" sat next to a small flashing led and fixed adjacent to the door(s) and another on the tongue..... cheap to do and probably enough to make a thief reconsider. For a long time, before we had dogs ... we had a "be aware of the dogs" sign on the garden gates .. never had any intruders. I think my strategy works with the opportunist thief, but as said already, if they really really want it ...........
Shoebone
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SSTear » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:36 am

GPW wrote:I know this may sound silly , but what about a "tracking device" that would emit a radio signal on a certain frequency … like in the James Bond movies … :thinking:
It could even be solar powered /battery so would beep for a long time …Hopefully till you found it …
We’ve got all kinds of electronics these days … why not this ?

Real time GPS Tracking devices are about $100.00+. Then you'll need to buy a data plan for it. Data plans run about $10-$20 a mo or about $120 a year. Most of of these devices are for tracking, kids, & elderly, and some commercial applications.

I did find this page. Some devices have no re-occurring charges. Make sure you get everything you need to start using the tracking device day one, and read all customer reviews before purchasing.

http://www.spytecinc.com/gps-satellite-tracking.html
SSTear
Teardrop Builder

Postby friz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:28 pm

Even cellular based trackers are limited to line of site from a tower. The best solution is still satellite tracking. This bumps the cost to $150 yearly. I still think at that price it is good insurance. Check out the Spot Trace. The unit is only $50 and runs on batteries.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:10 pm

If I were going to add a tracking device, I'd remove my power converter and tie it into a 12v line from the battery and close it back up. There is enough parasitic draw from other devices that I doubt they'd try to trace that out. Even if they disconnect the battery, some day they will reconnect and it would alert....
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion