Bearings and Races

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Bearings and Races

Postby Cosmo » Thu May 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks – You saved me from trying Mobil 1 grease. After reading your post I checked Amazon reviews for other greases (synthetic and mineral). Everyone I checked had reports of separation. Including Synthetics like Valvoline, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple.

I am sticking with the lubricious concoction Royal Purple Ultra-performance grease.
So far it has provided good lubricity and it has not separated (for me) while in the tube on a shelf or in my hubs. They make some bold claims on their website.
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/prod ... rease-upg/

Quickie Teardrop lube job before I leave for Memorial Day weekend/.
https://youtu.be/uIiaXLLXVNc

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby dancam » Thu May 25, 2017 11:55 pm

I bought castrol synthetic grease and it doesnt drip out of the gun.
Im told that low temp mystik jt-6 is good grease for wheel bearings. Im trying it next

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Pinstriper » Fri May 26, 2017 5:36 pm

lfhoward wrote:Thank you all for the replies, everyone. It seems that some have had good experiences with Chinese bearings and some not, while the USA bearings have always been reliably good. I am not a gambling person, so i am most likely going with Timken or SKF. It's going to take me another month to save up for it, but I think the peace of mind will be worth it.

On the other hand, maybe I won't need them? If the bearings in my military trailer turn out to be ok once I get them out and clean them up, then maybe I'll get to reuse them. We will have to wait and see. I have no idea how long they've been in there or when they were last serviced. My trailer was made in 1991.

Besides soaking the bearings in gasoline (which is what the parts store guy said to do), is there an equally effective but safer way to clean out the old grease? Mineral spirits perhaps?

Go buy a couple cans of Gunscrubber. It's an aerosol can of solvent and degreaser, and it evaporates away much like electronics parts cleaner. Get a handful of shop towels, put the bearing in the middle and just squirt the dirty grease into nothingness. Probably plan on one can per bearing.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Fri May 26, 2017 10:22 pm

These are the greases listed by Dexter as being approved for use in their axles: Mobilgrease HP and Mobilith AW2 / Exxon - Ronex MP / Kendall L -427 / Valvoline Multipurose GM / 76 Lubbricants - 76 Multiplex EP / Citco - Lithoplex MP#2 / Mystik JT-6 Hi=Temp Grease And Pennzoil Wheel Bearing Grease 707L. I have been using the Mystik brand grease listed here and have had no problems with my Dexter E-Z Lub Torflex axles for 5+years that I have owned my teardrop so far. Took everything apart about 2 years ago after the first 3 years of use and everything looked great, replaced its seal and have checked and just re-lubed the zerk fitting, pumping until fresh grease is seen once a year - everything is still looking good :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion