Insulation

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Insulation

Postby JamesDixonLR » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:08 am

I'm brand new and this may have been asked before but I didn't find it so I ask myself. A lot of people build panels with rigid foam even using techniques to enable bending. I can see that for the flat areas but why not use roll insulation for the curved areas? "Foam" and "structural" don't seem like words that go together but do they? Does the rigid foam add strength as well as insulation? thanks, Jim
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Re: Insulation

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:24 pm

Yes - the foam is or at least can be in some designs structural. Stressed skin panels, or called SIPs in home building today, rely the foam to keep the skins more or less equidistant apart and from buckling from the compressive forces on the top skin - just like the web does on a wide flange ("I") beam. Some designs rely on the framing, others use the skins as structure. When the skins are used for structural support, foam or honeycomb or light framing are a part of the system. I've worked a lot with stressed skin panels in my work, mostly foam or honeycomb, and their strength is often underestimated. There is reliance on the adhesive bond, not a factor to be ignored.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:22 pm

google for mystery13, uses foam sheets and screening bonded with adhesive paint for custom cabinets, very light and strong (enough)
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:09 pm

Closed cell foam, the common pink and blue stuff, will not absorb water wheras batt and roll type like fiberglass will .
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby JamesDixonLR » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:51 am

John61CT wrote:google for mystery13, uses foam sheets and screening bonded with adhesive paint for custom cabinets, very light and strong (enough)

Thanks. I found it. Very interesting article. Jim
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Postby JamesDixonLR » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:52 am

MtnDon wrote:Closed cell foam, the common pink and blue stuff, will not absorb water wheras batt and roll type like fiberglass will .

Very good reason. thank you, Jim
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:43 am

Bat insulation will also settle, especially in a mobile application that bounces on down the road.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 am

"Foam" and "structural" don't seem like words that go together but do they?

I build my 'drops with a ceiling/roof constructed of 1/8" Baltic birch, XPS foam board, and 1/8" Baltic birch (with spars).

The foam adds considerable strength sandwiched inside the birch ply.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion