What would you do different in galley: storage size/type

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

What would you do different in galley: storage size/type

Postby ryan112ryan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:19 pm

I wanted to hear from folks that designed their galley and have had some time to use it in the real world. I'm trying to figure out what would be the best sizes and form factor of cabinets, depths of drawers and size/form of shelves if any, things like that? I realized on storage and layout I can make guesses on, but don't have practical experience with.

I've found that sometime a drawer is too short to fit something like a weird pasta box, a cabinet isn't deep enough to fit a cereal box or too deep and things get lost, or a shelf isn't useful in its form/size.

In terms of storage: What would you do differently? What were your cabinet, drawer and shelf sizes and forms, would you do it differently? I'm mainly thinking for storage of food stuffs and cooking/eating items. Basically storage for things like cans of soup, produce, oat meal, pasta, spices, S'mores stuff, bread/buns, Peanut Butter, chips and salsa, pancake mix, plates, cups, napkins, utensils, paper towel etc etc.
ryan112ryan
Teardrop Inspector

Re: What would you do different in galley: storage size/typ

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:56 pm

I'm a big believer in no cabinet doors that open outward or drawers. You're inside a small compartment and pulling stuff out into it just doesn't make sense.

Here's what we have for storage over our legs. It's open and everything is visible and easy to get to. Notice the hooks for clothing.

Under the headboard I put two sliders for storage:

This is what it looks like when the bed is made:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:06 pm

I am very happy with my setup. Anything not perishable like the dry good, cooking oil, etc. goes in a tub and is stored in the car. This is a requirement in some nut not all) areas due to wildlife. I keep the fridge/freezer/cooler in the trailer for convenience and easy access, but if need be I can move it to the car and free up that space for other use. I prefer some open space which I can use for the particular trip I am packing for. Some trips where water is scarce I use paper plates. If water is not an issue I use reusable plates
I have all the kitchen gear like pot holders utensils and cookware in its own space. My layout allows 2 or even 3 people to work in the kitchen at once without getting in the way of each other. One person can be washing, one cooking and one prepping food. But rather than do that I deploy a table or two to spread us out. I think it’s important for me to have easy access to my stuff for convenience.

Many people prefer a portable stove, and wash tub to cook and wash dishes. This allows you to choose the location you want to cook at rather than be tied to the trailer.

I picked compact utensils and used configurable drawer dividers to give the utensils spaces that made sense to me. I can reconfigure the spaces if I want to. I have had my trailer for 2 and ½ years now and have a kitchen system that is working for me. I have the utensils that I need and with the cookware I can cook and server dinner for four easily.

Lots to think about!

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Oooooops.... I see you said,
galley...

After building three of these, nothing....

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lacustom » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:24 am

Very happy with this set up but we are 6' wide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lou Piscitelli
If you can dream it ,we can build it!
lacustom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:49 am

ryan112ryan wrote:I wanted to hear from folks that designed their galley and have had some time to use it in the real world....
In terms of storage: What would you do differently? What were your cabinet, drawer and shelf sizes and forms, would you do it differently? I'm mainly thinking for storage of food stuffs and cooking/eating items. Basically storage for things like cans of soup, produce, oat meal, pasta, spices, S'mores stuff, bread/buns, Peanut Butter, chips and salsa, pancake mix, plates, cups, napkins, utensils, paper towel etc etc.
  • My A/C and ducting system, and the generator and extended-run fuel system take the lion's share of all the space. I do have my Coleman stove (and fuel) tucked into a corner (the Northstar lantern hiding behind the fuel tank), my perishable foods are kept cool (somewhat, see my "cooler inside a cooler thread" at http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68543 for details), and I insert one of my Aquatainers in a receptacle under the A/C unit; those are my concessions to the typical galley contents.
  • All my canned foods, and my utensils, plates, pots & pans, and my new cast iron gear, are carried separately inside a Tractor Supply storage box, which I usually keep in the truck bed, but will now carry to camp on top of my tongue box (securely strapped to it, as pictured in my signature photo/drawing), then set up next to my stove on break-down tables I carry, under my canopy, in the sitting area. If I am bringing chips, or bagged food items, I keep them in the truck, until needed. I stash paper towels, as well as kitchen wipes, in galley, cabin, and truck, because I use them frequently everywhere.
  • I may make a change to the galley in the future, if my cooler situation doesn't improve, and add a 1.1 cubic foot mini-freezer in the spot where I currently keep the Cube cooler, if I decide to stay on a campsite for 4 or more days (three days seems to be the max for my ice-type coolers, to date).
  • galley set up.jpg
    galley set up.jpg (132.99 KiB) Viewed 743 times
    cooking gear set-up on sheltered side-table
  • my present set up.png
    my present set up.png (462.54 KiB) Viewed 743 times
    galley packed up, for travel
  • rear freezer option.png
    rear freezer option.png (525.53 KiB) Viewed 743 times
    white box represents future freezer???
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 am

Not exactly what you asked about, but we are happy that we do not have food storage and cooler in the galley. We storage dry goods and cooler in the tow vehicle. You don't have to worry about critters opening your cooler if food is stored in the tow vehicle.

To your question, the one thing I would change would be to make room for storage of our Keurig coffee maker. It is a pleasure that we enjoy while camping, but it won't fit in our galley cabinets. The Keurig would fit in the lower left cabinet if I had located our converter and small battery to the tongue box so maybe that is the actual item I would have changed.

Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby rkanz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:17 pm

We had some long discussions during the galley design phase. We decided to make as much counter space as possible. This was a good decision. I put the stove on a folding table to cook. I really like the sink and Whale foot pump. The drawers are on 12" full extension slides and have removable dividers. Just big enough. The top shelf is useful for storing items when cooking. I built the galley to be flexible for later changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Not exactly the galley, but the hatch: Use an even number of ribs (the ones that go lengthwise with the trailer. Spars go crosswise.), else you can't put a locking handle in the middle. I have 3, and didn't discover the problem until way too late.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Size for a Bigger Cooler

Postby Dusty Mark » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:20 pm

We eat a lot of fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat. I should have figured a way to fit the Yeti Tundra 75 cooler in my galley versus the Yeti Tundra 65 that I built around. (The 75 actually holds 14 quarts more than the 65.) I would have had to steal 4" from the cabin depth to make it work and at the time I didn't think that was worth it. Perhaps I could have added 4" to the length of the camper! Yesterday we bought a Yeti Tundra 35, as a supplemental cooler, that we'll carry in the camper for transport and store in the car at the campground. That gives us a total of 91 quarts of cold storage for our longer trips.
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion